Period question

Options
loribethrice
loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
Does losing weight and exercising cause extra periods? I have seen my gynecologist and he was no help. I have been on birth control for the past 13 years straight and currently take Seasonique. I am only supposed to have my period every 3 months and was getting it like that (or less) until recently. I've lost over 60lbs and I work out 5 days a week, 2 times a day 3 of those days. (Weights for my 2nd workout) I had 3 periods in November and have had another one for the past 7 days even though I'm not due for one until February. I have an ultrasound scheduled in a week, but I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else or if any doctors/nurses would see this and know. TIA!

Replies

• CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Wait for ultrasound results.

Periods change with weight loss, of course, but no one here is going to know what your body is up to. :)
  • loribethrice
    Options
    I've had 3 of these ultrasounds so far and nothing ever comes up on them. I have PCOS and endometriosis which is why I've been on the BC since I was 15.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Eating a deficit can 'mess' with your hormones, thus mess up your cycle.

After 8mth of losing weight mine came early, then late, then disappeared for 6mth. After 6mth on maintainance it came back, even 'on time' as if it had never left. I don't know, if it's here to stay again, but I do think the changes were due to the dieting.
  • loribethrice
    Options
    I did lose it for 9 months at the beginning of all this, so I wonder if the deficit is doing it.