lifting weights at home

Options
hi everyone, I would like to start lifting weights at home to help myself get stronger and leaner.. I so far have a 2kg and 4kg set of dumb bells.. what I was wondering is what else would be good for beginners and also do you know a good dvd? kind regards :)

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner and have started using a weight machine. These can be costly, so I don't know if it would work in your situation. However, it eliminates the need to have a spotter when performing most lifts.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Try nerfitness body weight exercises http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Those weights can give you a little resistance to work up to but you don't want to do loads of reps with low weights, you want to build up your weights as heavy as you can so you will need access to more in time

Check out strong lifts or new rules of lifting for women

And good luck
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    best thing I ever got was a barbell set and squat rack.....maybe not in the beginner's realm to most, but depends who you ask, it's where I started.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    fitness bands called therabands are also really good. they come in different colors which signify resistance. I have a complete gym at home but use these as well, especially for weaker or injured areas. There are also cords which do the same.
    The main difference is that with a weight if you are lifting 2kg it is 2kg throughout the lift. with a thera band resistance gets more difficult towards the end of the exercise as the band stretches.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women (book, not a DVD). It's a solid beginner plan with lots of compound exercises that you can do with dumbbells. I would start there and see how you like the program and lifting in general before investing in any other equipment.