cycling sport watch

Options
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you who cycle use a hrm, and what was the better ones out there. I was considering a wrist type with a handle bar mount. one I can use in the gym as well as on the road. Thanks guys.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin 620. It has a lot of functions for running as well. The chest strap is comfortable & washable. I think it all comes down to what you want to spend and what metrics you want to track. This one has GPS, speed, & HR. I think it will pair with a cadence sensor for the bike.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Oh btw dcrainmaker has some great reviews. Just google him
  • garciabnm
    Options
    thank you very much
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd second the recommendation for dcrainmaker.

Personally I use a Forerunner 310XT, multisport watch. If you're cycling focussed then an Edge would be a better bet for you.

I find the HRM coupled with the GPS very informative.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Garmin has the 310, 910, 920 multisport. Polar has the V800. Tomtom has it's Multisport watch.

dcrainmaker has reviews of all of them. Garmin uses ANT+, Polar and Tomtom use bluetooth ... something to consider if you plan on linking a cadence sensor, etc.
  • garciabnm
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I think i would prefer bluetooth,so i can use my phone and phone apps.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    garciabnm wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. I think i would prefer bluetooth,so i can use my phone and phone apps.

You have much homework to do. Few devices send data to the watch and phone simultaneously. Some allow you to use your phone to upload data ... some still require a computer.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    garciabnm wrote: »

Again DCRainmaker has some analysis of the pros and cons.

ANT+ allows the device to link with the cadence monitor, power meter etc. The newest generation of Garmins can then download over ANT+ or WiFi, or bluetooth to the phone. They can also bluetooth to the phone to allow live tracking of the session. I'm less convinced by that as a good long 3-4 hour ride will kill the phone battery.

I think you need to be clear on what it is that you're wanting to achieve.