Arm involvement in pressing lifts and lifting in real life

Options
I'm curious as to why the upper body presses like bench and overhead work the triceps much more than the biceps, but yet in real life when I lift a heavy object, it's my biceps that do a lot more work. Any reason why there is a disconnect?

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Depends how you are lifting something. I use my biceps if picking up several grocery sacks at the same time and carrying below the waist. If I am lifting a board to nail higher than my head or lifting a tool while under a car, I feel it in my tricep.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Gravity
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Depends how you are lifting something. I use my biceps if picking up several grocery sacks at the same time and carrying below the waist. If I am lifting a board to nail higher than my head or lifting a tool while under a car, I feel it in my tricep.
    That makes sense. As I think about, most of the times I'm lifting something heavy it is at or below my waist line.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    Other than bicep curls, are there any upper body lifts with weights that would simulate the type of lifting I'm referring to in which my biceps carry a lot of the weight? I don't know how useful it would be to lift the leg extension/leg curl bar with my arms, but that seems like it would be a close simulation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to why the upper body presses like bench and overhead work the triceps much more than the biceps, but yet in real life when I lift a heavy object, it's my biceps that do a lot more work. Any reason why there is a disconnect?
    Because most people "pull" items up instead of "push" items up. The exercises you mentioned are "push" exercises. "Pull" exercises would be pull ups, rows, deadlifts, etc. These involve the biceps much more than the triceps.
    Even when using tools (wrenches IE) you're taught to pull not push.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Because most people "pull" items up instead of "push" items up. The exercises you mentioned are "push" exercises. "Pull" exercises would be pull ups, rows, deadlifts, etc. These involve the biceps much more than the triceps.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Oh ok, I think I got it. I didn't realize before that lifting a heavy object up was more in line with the pulling exercises. This would include lat pulldowns, correct?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Other than bicep curls, are there any upper body lifts with weights that would simulate the type of lifting I'm referring to in which my biceps carry a lot of the weight? I don't know how useful it would be to lift the leg extension/leg curl bar with my arms, but that seems like it would be a close simulation.
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Oh ok, I think I got it. I didn't realize before that lifting a heavy object up was more in line with the pulling exercises. This would include lat pulldowns, correct?

Sure, lat pulldowns work too. Best exercise would probably be something like Atlas stones, really.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

A specific example would help. I would suspect to get better at lifting whatever you are lifting, actually lifting what you are lifting would be the fastest way to get better at it. But probably at a lighter weight for starters
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.

bench is pushing- if you were pushing a car- you'd be doing a whole body bench.

you don't bench things off the ground- so why would you assume you would be using the same muscles?

what are you trying to pick up- most things you should pick up you should be using a dead lift stance rather than actually pulling with your arms. hence the term "lift with your legs not your back"
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    hwkb17_047.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Deadlifts.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Sandbag training might be useful for you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When I punch someone, I'm bench pressing as hard as I can into their face.

When I have my hand around the back of their head and I pull them into the strike, that's a pulling movement and probably utilizing mostly tri and pec.

(Yes, I know I'm oversimplifying.)
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Sometimes I'll lift a heavy box off the floor (or from a place that is near waist level) and carry it somewhere. This is rare, but last month I helped carry/walk with a big tube TV. In both instances my biceps were sore the next day. Although when lifting heavy things off the floor I do try to make sure I'm using my legs, my legs don't usually get sore unless it's something like shoveling snow.

I had been thinking upper body presses would be the thing since in both cases I'm lifting upwards. But until I saw ninerbuff's response, I failed to see that lifting a heavy object up is in fact "pulling".
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I assume the biceps got sore because you felt you had to bend your elbows a bit while trying to grip either side of the TV. Not sure which big tube TV you were lifting but the old ones were heavy
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dead lifts.
    you're biceps are sore because you're using them to brace the object close to your body - the further out it is the more strain it is to hold- due to leverage.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I like when you pick something heavy up and the next day you're like.... neck, yubesore?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    heh.

• ForecasterJason
    Options
    Gosh, this is embarrassing. It made sense then, but it makes even more sense to me now that deadlifts would help, and I would think squats for that matter too.

While I didn't really think so then, what I found out today makes me think improving my leg strength will help with some of the random heavy things I lift from time to time. For the past several weeks I assumed that the free weights I have would be way too light for me to deadlift, but it seems like now I might be able to make some strength gains with what I have. I decided to see how much I could squat and deadlift with the dumbbells I have and was shocked. Based on how many reps of floor presses I can do at the same weight, I can most likely bench press at least 20 more pounds than I can squat or even deadlift. :o
  • ForecasterJason
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It could just be that from spending a few years of having a very sedentary lifestyle, my leg muscles are just not activating as best they should. So maybe I do have a good bit more leg strength, but I'm not able to utilize it.

As it is, my bench press numbers are still in the beginner stage.