Calorie Issues

Options
I just started using this website again so my diary is pretty empty but I still fairly consistently track my calories intake and I have come to a conclusion that part of my problem with losing weight is that my calorie intake is too low. This might sound ridiculous but I am having a hard time eating enough calories. Overeating is not and never really has been my problem. I tend to gain weight unless I have a fairly active exercise regiment so that's what I'm going for overall. But I feel that I should be consuming more calories than I do to boost my metabolism and I think in the long run it will help me keep my weight down.
I'm a vegetarian and a bit of a plain eater, especially throughout the week when I have less time and go for simple meals. By that, I mean I go for things like eggs, toast and cottage cheese for breakfast and rice and steamed veggies for lunch and dinner, maybe throw in some fruits and nut throughout the day (btw these are not all inclusive just examples). Now these are good healthy meals but they tend to not really fulfill my calorie goals. On the weekends its less of an issue because I make more complex meals and the calories seem to add up more easily. I guess the obvious answer is to make more complex meals during the week but I just do not have time most days.
So that brings me to my actual question--Does anyone else have this issue? What would make good filler items to boost my calories throughout the day that aren't just pure garbage or junk? Keep in mind, I'm not depriving myself throughout the day, in fact I'm not usually hungry at all throughout the day so I haven't had luck with just snacking constantly to fill the calorie gaps.

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't have the same problem. In fact, I could eat nonstop if my body allowed me to do so. However, if you are looking to get some more calories in:

Nuts are good calorie filler item. You could also have some peanut butter (or almond butter) with apples/banana as a snack.

Dark chocolate squares. I like to buy a bar of Lindt 90% and put in my freezer and have some squares when I want something sweet/need to eat something.

Avocado!

Hummus as a dip for veggies.

Adding seeds (chia, hemp, sunflower, pumpkin) to things (like your cottage cheese you have for breakfast!).
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking? Are you weighing? Measuring? Guessing? What caloric deficit are you eating at? It's impossible to know whether your calorie intake is too low without knowing what it is actually is! Also, if you've got 150lb to lose (as your button on your profile says) are you still eating/drinking the same way you were (the alcohol intake in particular?) or has this change to plain eating that you talk about been something you've been following for a while?

It will be diet more than exercise that sorts out weight loss. Exercise is important but it's what you're putting in that matters most. From what you say your food sounds healthy (if a bit boring) but what are the actual quantities? Rice, for instance, is highly calorific, as are nuts. Now, there's nothing wrong with any of these things, but have you got an accurate idea of what you're actually putting in?

If you prepare your meals in advance you can certainly do more complex things (when you talk about weekend meals what exactly are you talking about?) - try using a slow cooker, or cooking on the weekend and freezing your portions for the next week.

Breakfast - it sounds like you're eating the right things. Try porridge with a banana (you can mix it with water to save calories if you'd rather not use milk) or some blueberries. It's filling and will keep you going. I find bananas the most filling fruit, nuts simply don't keep me going at all but decimate my calorie allowance. I tend to try and eat something hot at lunch, like a home-made stew with some form of protein like Quorn or, as a meat eater, turkey mince. Drink tea or water when you're thinking of snacking to see if you're actually hungry - if you are, go for something like the above-mentioned banana. And pre-planning is the way to win, as otherwise you get home and munch munch munch.

Add me if you like! I'm certainly not perfect and am always messing up but I do have a decent idea of how to get through the day, at least some of the time :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried fruits are yummy, fairly filling and not-too-unhealthy ways to increase calories, if you need to increase them.