Will an increase by 10 calories make a difference?

Options
Will a 10 calorie increase in my net calories make a difference on the scale the next day or in the long term? Thanks!

Replies

• parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Nope. Tomorrow only water fluctuations will make a difference. Long term, each deficit of 3500 Calories will lead to a 1 lb difference.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Will a 10 calorie increase in my net calories make a difference on the scale the next day or in the long term? Thanks!

Yes, it will make a difference of 36 500 calories over a ten year period, which adds up to roughly 10.5 pounds.

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    None.
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    One pound per year, but it's well within the margin of error. It's probably best to assume that your actual food is +-100 calories from what gets logged, and your actually exercise is +-200 calories. And that's if you're tracking really amazingly well.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Depends on the quality of the calories

10 extra calories in veggies or fruit - nope

10 extra calories in white bread or munchkin donut whole or some other sweets or processed foods - potentially - just because those foods tend to be quite the vicious cycle The more you eat it the more you want it
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    no. 100 calories will hardly make a difference too.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

10 extra calories in white bread or munchkin donut whole or some other sweets or processed foods - potentially - just because those foods tend to be quite the vicious cycle The more you eat it the more you want it

You're kidding, right? Willpower is the issue, not quality of calories.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Theoretically speaking: Yes. It would be about 10 pounds over the period of a year.

Likelyhood of this happening: None. You have to realize that even professional nutritionists underestimate the amount they consume by 20%. The ability to track you calories incorrectly (including error rates on prepackaged items) there's no way that you'd be consuming exactly an extra 10 calories per day. Hell, there may be days you think you're 10 over and you may be under.

In my opinion it would probably wash and it isn't worth it worrying about it.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Reverse dieting 'theory' would seem to indicate your body will just get used to it, and raise your metabolism sufficiently to burn it without weight gain potentially. People build their metabolisms in such ways, adding small amounts of calories steadily over time, until they hit the point where they are seeing weight gain, and then usually back off a little, and settle at that new calorie level to maintain their weight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Why do you ask? 10 calories is measurement error.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Theoretically speaking: Yes. It would be about 10 pounds over the period of a year.

Likelyhood of this happening: None. You have to realize that even professional nutritionists underestimate the amount they consume by 20%. The ability to track you calories incorrectly (including error rates on prepackaged items) there's no way that you'd be consuming exactly an extra 10 calories per day. Hell, there may be days you think you're 10 over and you may be under.

In my opinion it would probably wash and it isn't worth it worrying about it.

Your math is off. It is 1 pound/year, not 10. All theoretical, of course.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think you guys need to read this ... the whole 3500 cal = 1 lb is not always true, and my experience is that this 3500 thing is well just an estimate, like almost everything else here at MFP.

zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/1lb-does-not-equal-3500-calories/

It surely did not seem to equate to that for me in my 10 month journey (I am presently gaining) and I am probably nearly the most OCD person anywhere in MFP world.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think you guys need to read this ... the whole 3500 cal = 1 lb is not always true, and my experience is that this 3500 thing is well just an estimate, like almost everything else here at MFP.

zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/1lb-does-not-equal-3500-calories/

It surely did not seem to equate to that for me in my 10 month journey (I am presently gaining) and I am probably nearly the most OCD person anywhere in MFP world.

The 3,500 is an estimate. But its a decent gauge to use. Also, context - she is talking about 10 calories extra.

OP - don't worry about it - eat your extra 10 calories.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    technically yes if you measured everything with laboratory equipment and were eating over by 10 cals and over a long time. But this isn't NASA where a miss by an inch is as good as a mile...so don't lose any sleep
  • acceann
    Options
    No, do not listen to those people saying it does. 10 calories is barley anything. Not to mention we are all probably off our calorie goals by a bit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Then its not 10 extra calories.

Also, I find nuts very more-ish.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. I doubt that your calorie needs are exact. I think it's a range. If it was exact, everyone's weight would fluctuate like crazy since normal people either don't log at all or can't possibly be exact with logging even if they do log.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    this is the site i use to look at how many calories i need for either maintaining, losing or gaining, and it shows per amount each week you prefer to lose or gain.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html