whey protien

Options
I am looking into whey protein and there are so many i am unsure which one is good . i have a 100 lds to lose . i heard really good things about gold standard but i am not sure if its what i need . does anyone know of a good whey protein that would help me ??

Replies

• optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein isn't necessary. Main focus should be eating well and getting exercise. Logging your food here and keeping track of everything works if you stick with it.

I would be more focused with that.

But I do use Whey protein before the gym, I mix it with almond chocolate milk, a banana, and the protein. More so bc I go to the gym early before work and I just want to get something in my stomach before I go that I can have on the go.

I use NOW Sports Organic Whey Protein. Nothing special but is a good protein with no extra added stuff that some others may have. Reasonably priced too.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like Fitness Labs Chocolate shake for breakfast (mixed with PB2). I drink Isopure during my workouts.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Trutein. Their Chocolate Magic Pudding is AMAZING.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My fav is myprotein.com. They have some great flavours.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dc4chick wrote: »
    I am looking into whey protein and there are so many i am unsure which one is good . i have a 100 lds to lose . i heard really good things about gold standard but i am not sure if its what i need . does anyone know of a good whey protein that would help me ??

Whey protein won't help you lose weight, it just helps you hit your protein target.
  • jo7777777
    jo7777777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard is good. Though not the optimal way, but whey protein is excellent to increase proteins in your diet while cutting down on carbs.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There is a GNC one that is low calorie. I can't think of the name..they sell it at SAMs and also walmart (I think). I've since moved to Germany and can't remember. I used to drink the vanilla kind...is it called Lean something?
    Anyways for weightloss you need to eat a calorie deficit, with that being said I personally have a protein shake about 5x a week. For me, they are filling, tasty, and help with getting enough protein.

I also suggest a blender ball to help mix it up. Best wishes on your journey.
  • ali2407
    ali2407 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use PDH Diet Whey http://www.phd-supplements.com/store/p/45/1/Diet-Whey-1Kg-Pouch.html - the new Cherry Bakewell flavour is amazing !!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I recommend finding a brand that doesn't have proprietary blends (ON Gold Standard does not). That way you know what you're actually getting.

Some brands will contain blends with taurine, creatine, amino acids etc. but without providing actual amounts of these added ingredients. Having these ingredients is fine (and possibly even desired depending on what you want from your protein shake) but when they're added in non-disclosed amounts it can mean that you're not getting what you expect from your protein. If the label says 24g or 30g of protein per serving, you may only be getting 20g or so since ingredients like taurine (an amino acid, so technically a protein) can boost up the protein count on the label.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and like it. I don't think they use proprietary blends on any of their products. If they have additives to their supplements, they tell you on the label how much of each ingredient is in there.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I recommend finding a brand that doesn't have proprietary blends (ON Gold Standard does not). That way you know what you're actually getting.

Some brands will contain blends with taurine, creatine, amino acids etc. but without providing actual amounts of these added ingredients. Having these ingredients is fine (and possibly even desired depending on what you want from your protein shake) but when they're added in non-disclosed amounts it can mean that you're not getting what you expect from your protein. If the label says 24g or 30g of protein per serving, you may only be getting 20g or so since ingredients like taurine (an amino acid, so technically a protein) can boost up the protein count on the label.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and like it. I don't think they use proprietary blends on any of their products. If they have additives to their supplements, they tell you on the label how much of each ingredient is in there.

I agree with this guy. If this doesnt work then find a brand that doesnt upset your stomach but without a proprietary blend. Also, ensure your eating a good amount of healthy protiens and not depending soley on shakes. Caisen protein before bed would also aid in your loss.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I find them all pretty gross. What is the reason you want to use whey protein? Shakes and protein do not help you lose weight. It is always best to get your protein from real sources like lean meats.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I agree with a couple of the posters above that whey protein won't help you lose weight, but will help you hit your protein goal. Weight loss is cals in vs cals out :)

But if you need a yummy protein to help you hit your protein goal: Cellucor molten chocolate and Red Velvet are very good.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Also, I recommend mixing with milk instead of water. I love the taste with milk but mixing the powder with just water is nasty.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everything that has been said here, I only use them because I tend to eat all my calories in a small window and its hard to eat enough protien in 1 meal.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I also agree that getting protein is best from natural sources during meals, however, I do have half a whey shake during my workout every other day just to make sure I hit my protein goal on my lift days. Gotta take care of those muscles.
  • lsiberian
    Options
    A couple of chicken breasts are a better option for getting protein, but I do use Combat Powder to supplement protein because I'm too lazy to cook chicken breast. I don't normally use it when trying to lose weight. I want my calories to fill my stomach.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Most people don't need protein supplements. And they do not help you lose weight. Try eating protein at every meal and learn which food items are higher in protein. This is the best way to meet your daily needs. Even if you are doing some weight machines and cardio here and there at a low intensity....you should try to get your protein through food. It is better than powdered stuff.

People who should use protein supplements are people who workout hard and eat lots of high protein food but are still falling short of their increased protein needs.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I did not use whey protein to lose weight. Food will make you feel much fuller than a shake, in my experience.

I have had to temporarily suspend further weight loss as I am recovering from surgery. I am using whey protein (Biochem Natural flavor, recommended by someone on this site) in between meals to meet the higher protein levels for healing.