Leftovers...

Options
I have yo-yo dieted my whole life so I now try to avoid rash desisions and radical action in my approach to healthier eating. I am trying to adopt moderation. So here's my problem. I did ok at the Christams family dinners, but we were sent home with so many leftovers (bacon turkey, ham, cookies, candy, deviled eggs, etc) that I'm not sure how to handle it. I have the urge/habit to finish everything off quick before it goes bad. My fridge is full (containers upon containers) and it's quite overwhelming too. I KNOW there's chocolate in the house... I really want to throw everything out, but then I remember that I'm trying to take the drama out of eating. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Avoid everything you know another family member likes and encourage them to eat it all? Take your chocolate to work and score points with the non-resolutioners? Eat at maintenance for a few more days?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I can't help you. I would not have taken it home. I actually think it's cool that you are trying to eat it all in moderation-something I just can't do.

Everything the above poster said is great.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you are able to freeze some of it you could possibly do that. I tossed some leftovers (primarily candy and fudge because someone gave me a whole PAN full of the stuff) out simply because I was tired of having to go into my kitchen and resist it every time. I never wanted that much and paid someone to make me a few pieces and told her to give the rest to friends as a small gift, but I got over TEN pounds of candy! For me, that took the drama and the temptation out of it.

Try to utilize some of the leftovers in your meals. For example, having bacon or ham with your eggs in the morning. Preparing meals from the leftovers that the whole family will enjoy will help to get rid of the leftovers without feeling like you are wasting the food or that YOU have to eat it before it goes bad.

Remind yourself of what you have posted here that you are only eating to eat for the sake of eating, not because you actually want the food.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Either freeze it or do what I did and eat it to get rid of it as quickly as possible! I put on 4.2lbs on christmas and boxing day. A few days later I've already lost it all.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If these foods will cause you to binge then take them to your local Goodwill donation station. The guys who work at mine love leftovers and holiday treats.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    We gave all our leftovers to a family in need! It was wonderful to know that nothing went to waste but it was out of my house and mind.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!