High-fruit Diet: Good or bad?

Options

Replies

• westonw72
    Options

What is your goal? If it is a bunch of fiber and vitamins then seems like you are doing well.

If it is weight loss, I would start cutting that back by 90%.

Eat to fit your goal.[/quote]

Well, the thing is I have been eating like this for a while, and I have lost weight in the process..

• westonw72
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight and I was just told to stay away from fruit all together. I don't like that comment because I love fruit. I thought there was a difference between "natural" sugar and "junk" sugar? I am at a loss.

I don't believe this at all. I can tell you that I have lost weight eating Mostly fruit. And you're right, there is a difference between natural sugar and junk sugar. Not in the sugar itself, but in the way it's consumed. The Fiber in the fruits helps you digest it and changes the way you metabolize it. Plus, I believe a banana has about 14g of sugar. A can of soda has 40-45g. There are people who drink like 5 sodas a day, and THAT'S where you run into trouble. Eat fruit.
  • tannatannabobanna
    tannatannabobanna Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    westonw72 wrote: »
    What is your goal? If it is a bunch of fiber and vitamins then seems like you are doing well.

If it is weight loss, I would start cutting that back by 90%.

Eat to fit your goal.

Well, the thing is I have been eating like this for a while, and I have lost weight in the process..

[/quote]

Sure it is possible, what is your current BFP? Have you introduced a new training routine? Are you eating less than you have before? All factors for weight loss in high BMI cases.
  • westonw72
    Options
    It really depends on your body..........

Have you had blood work to check your cholesterol and triglycerides? If your LDL or triglycerides are high, then you would be best advised to cut out a LOT of the fruit in your eating except for the berries, apples, and fruits like these.

Do you have metabolic disorder, insulin resistance, thyroid issues or Diabetes? If so, then the above would also apply.

Haven't had measurements taken in a long time, but I believe I'm very healthy. I'm 5'11 172 lbs, so at a healthy weight, too. Healthy blood pressure.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a metabolic disorder, insulin resistance, or diabetes, it's perfectly fine to eat that much fruit.
  • westonw72
    Options

[/quote]

Sure it is possible, what is your current BFP? Have you introduced a new training routine? Are you eating less than you have before? All factors for weight loss in high BMI cases. [/quote]

Body fat percentage.. I have no idea how to find that out lol.. Yes, I have been hitting the gym (weights & cardio) which was initially totally new to me. And yes, I used to eat whatever I wanted (a lot) and now I log all my food and Avg. About 1500 cal. Per day. Doesn't sound like very much but it's enough to satisfy me.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I am trying to lose weight and I was just told to stay away from fruit all together. I don't like that comment because I love fruit. I thought there was a difference between "natural" sugar and "junk" sugar? I am at a loss.

Sure, there is a difference, but not for weight loss. At the end of the day sugar is sugar when trying to loose weight. Fructose, dextrose, w/e. To lose weight you must be at a caloric deficit. If you can fit fruit into your caloric intake for the day then sure. However, it is a large amount of sugar it will spike blood sugar, which will force your body to produce insulin, and eventually store fat. So its a catch 22. Just stay away during weight loss.

Staying away from fruit isn't necessary on a cut. As far as fat storing goes, it happens throughout the day, we have peaks and valleys. Valleys> Peaks is where it's at.

In a deficit energy will be used regardless.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

That sounds nice, however that is not how insulin works: http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell2.htm

A large amount of fruit will spike blood glucose levels. It is sugar regardless. This in cause and effect will cause a degree of fat storage. This is why fruit is avoided for athletes and bodybuilders cutting for competition.

To conclude. Some is fine yes, higher fiber fruits apples, kiwis etc in moderation 1 serving a day post exercise. There is no reason for excess.

No.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a banana, kiwi fruit, blackberries, rasberries and pineapple nearly everyday for lunch and I've had no problems losing weight. I'm addicted to fruit! I've also swapped chocolate for berries. It helps my sweet tooth with hundreds less calories.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    when i was trying to lose weight a long time ago I saw a well known nutritionist in toronto who told me to limit my fruit intake to 2 pieces a day. Something about it producing insulin and insulin hoards fat. I also used to see a lot of weight loss stories from a while back (ie Richard Simmons days) when they would get overweight people to eat a lot of fruit. Today they strictly limit the fruit
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I believe you can almost any food in moderation. I was told by my nutritionist to keep fruit down to 4 servings a day and try to eat the fruit with the most fiber
    Apples
    Avocado
    Bananas
    Berries -- Blueberies, Blackberries, Raspberries, etc.
    Dried Fruits -- Figs, Raisins, Apricots, Dates, etc.
    Guava
    Kiwi
    Orange
    Pears
    Prunes
  • jpaulie
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    jpaulie wrote: »
    when i was trying to lose weight a long time ago I saw a well known nutritionist in toronto who told me to limit my fruit intake to 2 pieces a day. Something about it producing insulin and insulin hoards fat. I also used to see a lot of weight loss stories from a while back (ie Richard Simmons days) when they would get overweight people to eat a lot of fruit. Today they strictly limit the fruit

More people who just have the wrong idea about insulin and the daily cycles we go through. No one takes caloric deficit into consideration.

of course caloric deficit is taken into consideration. Lost 30lbs, can't do that without a deficit
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It seems everything I love to eat is a no-no!!
  • jpaulie
    Options
    It seems everything I love to eat is a no-no!!

I wouldn't call it a no-no. I eat an apple every day. you know what they say. They didn't say 10 apples a day
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of that no ones mentioned is, just make sure you're looking after your teeth. Citric acid + sugar :/

I can't be bothered with all the insulin nonsense that gets thrown about here, as long as you've no underlying health issues, I think it'd be pretty much impossible to eat enough fruit for it to be bad for you. If you enjoy it and it fits your calories/macros, go for it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

That's only if you have a metabolic condition, insulin resistance, or diabetes where insulin isn't used efficiently.
  • jpaulie
    Options

That's only if you have a metabolic condition, insulin resistance, or diabetes where insulin isn't used efficiently.

sounds fair, like I said the info i had was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away
  • jpaulie
    Options
    I believe you can almost any food in moderation. I was told by my nutritionist to keep fruit down to 4 servings a day and try to eat the fruit with the most fiber
    Apples
    Avocado
    Bananas
    Guava
    Kiwi
    Orange
    Pears
    Prunes

ok so I am not the only person being told by a nutritionist to keep fruit intake down. If it is not insulin, then what is the reason?
  • westonw72
    Options
    Apples
    Avocado
    Bananas
    Guava
    Kiwi
    Orange
    Pears
    Prunes

ok so I am not the only person being told by a nutritionist to keep fruit intake down. If it is not insulin, then what is the reason?

Nutrition seems to be really opinionated, even with the experts. Yes, there is an amount of fruit that is too much. But you'd almost have to do gorge on purpose to eat that much fruit, Imo