Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Should I be taking creatine?

westonw72
westonw72 Posts: 21
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 17 years old, 5'11 and weigh 172 pounds. I was 226 pounds four months ago, and recently I have been trying to take my weight loss to the next level. I have heard from multiple sources that increasing your muscle is the best way to keep fat off, and burn more fat. I was told by a friend that creatine is great for gaining muscle. However, I am skeptical about taking something I know so little about. I was looking for some advice from someone with knowledge on the subject to help me decide.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    It gives you a tiny edge in the gym, performance-wise. It's probably not going to help you lose weight or gain muscle. Does that help?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    westonw72 wrote: »
    I was looking for some advice from someone with knowledge on the subject to help me decide.

You have no way of knowing who here is knowledgeable and who isn't..

Creatine is not a weight-loss supplement.

If you have any other questions, just ask..

• DopeItUp wrote: »
    It gives you a tiny edge in the gym, performance-wise. It's probably not going to help you lose weight or gain muscle. Does that help?

I guess if It doesn't hurt, I might as well try it. I realize it's not for weight loss. I don't really need to lose weight anymore anyway.
  • I've went through a complete fast loss muscle building transformation lost 30lbs and i was using creatine personally id recommend it it does help to push out that extra1-2 reps go with a creatine monohydrate lots of studies to back it up hope this helps
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    This site is for 18 and over. Go to sparkteens.com since you're 17.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Creatine is not a fat-loss supplement. Fat loss is from consuming fewer calories than you burn. Lifting an extra rep or 2 does not burn a significant number of calories.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    At 17 man you probably wouldn't even notice a difference taking it or not when you hit the gym. Eat the proper amount of food and weight train. Your testosterone levels are through the roof.

Creatine could give you a bit of a strength boost in the gym. It is a combination of 3 amino acids ( L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionine.) Simply put, it helps your body restore energy to the muscle quicker which allows you to push just a little bit harder. When your body lifts a heavy weight the muscles fatigue and run out of that instant energy required to lift again. Creatine helps your body bring that energy into the muscle quicker.

It If you decide to take it. Have 5 grams a day in any drink you want. 5 grams is 1 rounded teaspoon, not a tablespoon. You have to drink a lot of extra liquid a day and make sure your urine is clear. It can lead to dehydration and nasty bloating if you don't stay very hydrated. There is no loading and no phasing. Still, talk to a doctor before taking any supplement. You are still young and you are still developing Again, since you are 17, the only thing you need to do is train and eat well and you'll see gains.
  • At 17 man you probably wouldn't even notice a difference taking it or not when you hit the gym. Eat the proper amount of food and weight train. Your testosterone levels are through the roof.

Creatine could give you a bit of a strength boost in the gym. It is a combination of 3 amino acids ( L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionine.) Simply put, it helps your body restore energy to the muscle quicker which allows you to push just a little bit harder. When your body lifts a heavy weight the muscles fatigue and run out of that instant energy required to lift again. Creatine helps your body bring that energy into the muscle quicker.

It If you decide to take it. Have 5 grams a day in any drink you want. 5 grams is 1 rounded teaspoon, not a tablespoon. You have to drink a lot of extra liquid a day and make sure your urine is clear. It can lead to dehydration and nasty bloating if you don't stay very hydrated. There is no loading and no phasing. Still, talk to a doctor before taking any supplement. You are still young and you are still developing Again, since you are 17, the only thing you need to do is train and eat well and you'll see gains.

Helpful comment. I bought some so I'm at least going to try it. From what I've read it's perfectly safe and well studied.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    From what it sounds like, you were going to do it anyway. But I doubt that you will notice any difference at your age. I tried it when I was 16 or 17 and looking back on it, it was a waste of money.

Depending on your programming, the 1-2 extra reps that the use of creatine will give you may not matter because most programs that the majority of people are familiar with don't have an AMRAP or autoregulation component built in so there are never 1-2 extra reps to be had.

Expect to gain a little weight due to water retention also.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    You honestly probably won't see noticeable results with it at the point you're at now. You're better off saving your money and just riding with your beginner gains. If you really want a supp, but some protein.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    You honestly probably won't see noticeable results with it at the point you're at now. You're better off saving your money and just riding with your beginner gains. If you really want a supp, but some protein.

TBH creatine isn't expensive at all to begin with - its pennies worth in comparison to preworkouts!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    From personal experience I had to use micronized creatine or never get more than 100 ft from a bathroom. Good quality creatine is essential but not for performance reasons.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    krhn wrote: »
    Fujiberry wrote: »

TBH creatine isn't expensive at all to begin with - its pennies worth in comparison to preworkouts!

It can be at 17-years-old. Hell, it's expensive for me now as a college student! Lol.
    Nevertheless, any progress from creatine will be negligible. Better off just buying regular food or protein powder. :)
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    as for weight loss you don't need to waste your money on it. as a matter of fact it will temp. increase water retention in the muscle making you gain mass/weight