Losing weight with vertigo disorder

Chicago, North, would love to meet and workout with women of English speaking whatever nationality. Looking for some workout and motivating buddies.

Replies

• kayokarma
    kayokarma Posts: 30 Member
    Hi dizzy people, I know I'm not the only one. Don't be shy. It's a topic that's real and relevant. We're people who need to lose weight, get or stay fit, but even with the vestibular therapy and other medical "ideas" this condition stops us, our lives in its tracks.
    So how do we exercise side from vestibular therapy, to lose the weight or to tone up? I've been given 1 to do far that I appreciate... The Sit & Be Fit program here in Chicago. Well it at least keeps me moving whole sitting and without the fear of harming one's self.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    I take Meclizine=Travel Sickness pills once a day at night when I go to bed and it stopped the vertigo. It is not prescription but you might have to ask for it at counter at pharmacy. Doctor told me I could take up to three a day but one works for me. Believe me I know if I forget my nightly pill. I can not hold the bed still when my head lays back. Not joking here. It is a miserable condition. HA it would be fun watching a bunch of dizzies working out. I tried to do sit up and about gave myself a concussion.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    I take Meclizine=Travel Sickness pills once a day at night when I go to bed and it stopped the vertigo. It is not prescription but you might have to ask for it at counter at pharmacy. Doctor told me I could take up to three a day but one works for me. Believe me I know if I forget my nightly pill. I can not hold the bed still when my head lays back. Not joking here. It is a miserable condition. HA it would be fun watching a bunch of dizzies working out. I tried to do sit up and about gave myself a concussion.

Meclizine is a prescription drug.

kayokarma: Ask your neurologist or ENT (or whoever manages your vertigo) to prescribe it.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    It is not a prescription drug here I buy it over the counter. Doc said he could prescribe it but insurance will not pay for it because it is not prescription. Really is is sold OTC and the name of it on the bottle is "Travel Sickness Pills" It is about 4 dollars and change for 100 of them. If they make you sleepy you should not drive when taking them. They do not make me sleepy. Course I take them shortly before going to bed but I have had to take them in the day time if I forgot the bed time dose. I can not manage with out them cause I keep falling down if I look up or turn around fast.
  • kayokarma

It's great that Meclizine works for you but it doesn't work for me. Thanks
  • kayokarma
    I have Meniere's Disorder, it's a different version of vertigo or bppv. Anyone out there with this on OTC or prescriptive drugs or procedures that has worked tremendously? Other than the drugs that alter your personality into that of a slow moving & talking, sleepy zombie?
  • kayokarma
    Thanks to everyone for responding.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    migraine with persistent aura... dizziness. It started in may, the meds packed a punch in the weight department as well as my basically bedbound existence. I was holding at about 155 after steroids and elavil, then we started depakote 2000 mg as migraine preventive and bam...up to 183. Trying food logging every day, will get back in the pool when the nausea subsides if ever. I am trying the food angle first, and of course as much upright time as possible which is a challenge since I can no longer even stand in the shower. They said vestibular therapy would be a terrible idea for a migraineur (doesn't it sound exotic??)

So....I am a chronically dizzy person! The only thing that helped a little was scopolamine patches, but after using them for a month the migraine doctor said no more. Some people have good luck with diamox (not me). The rest as you know seem to be sedating and provide the iq of a goldfish.

I wish you success on your journey....the lack of physical activity is a downer.
  • kayokarma
    @KellyCasey5,
    Goodness! So sorry to hear you're going through this... Unfortunately we have different types of dizziness, but either way, it keeps us from exercising, let alone walking at times without assistance. I've been on a dyazide (for diuretic)and Meclizine for dizziness (what a joke) then val( which you can't function let alone focus).. Going to have a tube placed to relieve pressure, that along with a Menniett device, I'm praying it works!
    Wonder if your doc thought about Meniere's Disorder where you completely change you diet (like me, I'm a chronic dizzy person)

Well thanks for the tips and if I find out anything new I'll be sure to share!