what is a good BMi number to aim for?

Options
de1amo
de1amo Posts: 266 Member
İ am your typical English middleaged male--i go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and intend to continue because i enjoy the feeling but i dont want to be a superman with bulging muscles-i want to be toned. My BMi is 23,6 and i was wondering when i can take the foot off the gas concerning my dieting--i want to start tonning up with some more protein rather than continuing weakening myself --i have a little bit of spread left in the middle but i am thin everywhere else--i figure if i built some muscle it would increase my metabolism and take care of the middle along with more sit ups!--i dont live in the uk now and my normal diet is good and alcohol free but 1200 cals is low for strength work. The target i am/was aiming for is the same weight i was 16 years ago.

İ went on a comparative website for our American cousins and i rate in the top 35pc of males for my age and have a bmi equal to a 35year old in the states--what BMi target are you aiming for???

Replies

• MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on several things, age, build etc. If healthy is between 20 and 25 then I would say if you are of muscular build aim for the higher end and if you are the type (like me!) who can't gain muscle even with lots of weight training then aim lower (most elite athletes that require serious muscles are actually over 25 and some, like long distance runners are under 20)

As a 40 year old petite female I am aiming for 22 but that's probably very optimistic :laugh: so maybe 23 would be better for me.
  • de1amo
    Options
    when i was last at my goal i was 31 and fairly well muscled(tonned) i have a picture of that time but that scupltured shape has gone with years and this diet--i am just thin now. i dont know if i can gain any muscle now but i am sure i cant with such a low cal rate.
    i am 47 and the bmi seems to make little allowance for age and thickening in its scale--according to the pointers i have a fairly large frame
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    MFP has a feature that you can find out what is considered healthy for you...click on Tools > BMI > Calculate.
  • de1amo
    Options
    i know i am in the healthy range but about a quarter in to the scale---i am 73kgs and the range for my rate goes up to 76,6 and down to about 56,6kgs--i had a analysis by a dietician that said my optimum was 70kgs as a goal---i was last 70kgs at 31 and i am sure my whole frame has thickened in the interceeding years--according to the Us site i am equal to a 35year old there!