Help! I need exercise/ workout ideas that don't affect injuries

Options
So I have ankle pain for which I'm going to physical therapy and also a shoulder injury for which I'll be starting physical therapy. I need workout/ exercise ideas that I can do that won't affect those two areas. I'm mostly concerned about cardio, as I've already been told basically to not do any weights. I'm trying to drop 10 lbs but I'm worried more about my cardio fitness than the weight. Ideas??

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The best people to ask are your healthcare team ...we don't know if swimming or cycling are suitable but they will
  • DulCime
    Options
    Hula hoop! Got one from a local store cheap and it got my heart rate up in a very short time!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Water fitness. I used it when I had a broken leg (after 6 weeks, though) and I also teach it (not when I was injured though)

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a big no go with a shoulder injury. At least not for my separated shoulder. I did a triathlon a few months after injuring it and was in pain for a lot longer than I should have been.

Honestly a shoulder injury is a pretty big sideline because you use your shoulder SO much more than you realize. And an ankle takes out most of the "just leg" exercises. So consult your health care team. Listen to them. Shoulders especially can be a huge PITA to rehab and will never be 100% after an injury. Pushing it just makes it worse. I know - I did it and pretty much regret it.

Cardio fitness drops pretty quickly, but if you were fit to begin with a few weeks off will only put you a few training sessions behind being back to where you were. It stinks to rest....but you have to let your body work the way it is supposed to so you can get back to doing what you love. Push it - and you could have issues for the rest of your life.

Best of luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DulCime wrote: »
    Hula hoop! Got one from a local store cheap and it got my heart rate up in a very short time!

for someone who has an ankle and shoulder issue?

seriously?

no. just no.

OP- you need to be talking to your PT and your physician. no one here can answer those questions but them.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Hey that sounds familiar. I had an ankle and shoulder out at the same time. I could only do matwork on my back (can't go on knees or the shoulder gets it - leg raises, basically), until I could do a few other things. Talk to your physiotherapist.

But let those things heal, or seriously, you might not be able to do much of anything for a long time.