Loose skin, what's your stats

Options
To be honest this is just so I know other people are going through the same thing as me, I guess it makes it a little easier!
Ok so firstly, do you have loose skin? Where? How much? How much have you lost so far, planning to lose and height? How old are you?
Anybody had surgery on it? Successful?
Basically, any info on your excess skin! Thanks

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm 36. I was obese for 10 years I think, and overweight for 3 more.... I had stretch marks on my belly from gaining weight back too fast after losing weight when I was 21. Lost 80 pounds in roughly 1.5 year. Did some kind of strength training the whole time (weights, body weight exercises etc).

I have a lot of loose skin on my belly (it makes pockets where my stretch marks are over my belly button, and it hangs underneath it). There's a bit of fat under the skin, sure, but it's mostly skin... I'm guessing probably 2 pounds worth, maybe more, makes huge rolls when I sit, sigh. I have some on the top of my arms too, which sadly gives me bat wings, but it could be worse I guess. Also in my inner thighs and sadly apparently on my butt.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    5'11 and have lost 236lbs. Have loose skin in my lower pooch, upper inner thighs and upper arms. I don't mind as i see them as well deserved battle scars and can be covered easily enough with clothes.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have loose skin on my belly/legs/arms. I am really working on toning up my arms and legs so its not as bad and as for my tummy - easily hidden by clothes. And I often wear some sort of tight body suit under my clothes so that i have a seemless look =)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm 36yo, 5'8" and have lost about 100 lbs with another 15 or so to go. I have surprisingly little loose skin. My arms are not as firm as I would like but they are far from flappy. The only really noticeable loose skin I have is my breasts - I went from a 38H to now a 30F and they sag a LOT - and on my belly, where I have a pooch that hangs down a little over my pubic line. Beyond that everything has stayed more or less where it should, remarkably. I still have some fat under the loose belly skin but I'm pretty comfortable with how I look now and am lightly considering being done with weight loss and shifting focus now to maintaining my CW. Not really sure on that front but it has been on my mind of late.
  • SalQOG
    SalQOG Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm 18yo , 5'4, 275 pounds. I only lost 55 pounds but I have a lot of loose skin under my arms, Can't even wear short sleeves anymore
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've been on here too long, my head corrected the pronunciation of loose to lose before I realised it was the correct usage :blush:

I've got away with minimal, unless in plank position then there's some on my stomach which I'm giving time ...it's luck and genetics ...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    5'11 and have lost 236lbs. Have loose skin in my lower pooch, upper inner thighs and upper arms. I don't mind as i see them as well deserved battle scars and can be covered easily enough with clothes.

Awesome job!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Boobs! Ahh. Yes I went from a DD to a b/c cup. They are saggier than the norm but not bad at all if I do say so myself! =)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm 33, 5'6 and I have lost 100 lb so far with 60 more to go. I can tell from how it's been going that I'm going to have quite a bit of loose skin. I still have a lot of fat underneath but I can tell my problems areas will be my upper arms, breasts lower belly and inner thighs. My back, outer thighs, waist sides and mid billy are surprisingly shrinking in tight and smooth without a sign of papery skin despite the stretchmarks. Middle belly will probably have some very minimal loose skin, not enough to hang down. My inner thighs and butt will probably have moderate loose skin, the kind that wrinkles but does not hang over an inch. It seems my arms and breasts will be the most likely to suffer. I'm planning on getting an arm lift once I maintain my goal weight for a while and do some arm bulking.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yes and I HATE it. I have lost 62lbs so far and I have lose skin on the undersides of my arms, my lower stomach, my inner thighs, and my torso. It grosses me out completely. I am 5'9 and weigh 141lbs. I work out 5 days a week and 3 of those days I work out twice a day, one workout being cardio and the other weights. I keep hoping it's all going to tighten up because it's really messing with my brain. I just keep losing weight hoping it'll fix it.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have a fair amount of loose skin. I get that jiggle when i lift my arms and i have a "mothers apron" after having had 2 kids and 4 abdominal surgeries. That will probably never go away.

Some of it will tighten up at least a little maybe, hopefully, idk...

All i can do is hope, keep trying to get rid of it and get used to the idea that it might not get better. If it doesn't i won't be terribly upset because it feels better just to weigh less than i did before.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    For someone 5'6, female, and 19 years old:
    SW:210+ lbs; at this weight for at least six months
    CW:145 lbs
    Total loss: 65lbs
    GW: TBD -currently losing weight in 5-10lb increments and reevaluating.
    Loose Skin: Yes. It's the worst around my arms (I have the dreaded bat wings, and I can pinch and pull back the loose skin at least a solid inch-it's fun scaring people with that), inner thighs (really wrinkly-looking and able to be pulled), backs of my knees (I still have stretch marks there though -Now I have wrinkly stretch marks and loose skin), and hips.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am 5'8" and 38 years old.

Weighed over 130 lb since I was 9-10, and between 240-270 from ages 16-30, then hit 307 lb as my heaviest at 32.

Lost 45 lb over a 4-5 year period.
    Have since lost 90+ here on MFP in the past 2 years.
    I now weigh 169.

I have the B shape belly and an upper belly roll still which is not good. It's much smaller than when I was heavier, of course, and continuously shows SLIGHT improvement but the skin is very lumpy and bad in that area (above my belly button).

The skin on my lower abdomen is saggier than ideal but does not have the same lumpy qualities as the upper part. it looks VERY flat in clothes/jeans and I don't have an apron hanging AT ALL...thank goodness, I kind of thought I would.

Aside from some cellulite on my bum that I have had since age 12-ish, I don't have loose skin on my bum. My thighs have areas of loose wrinkly skin in the very middle but it's honestly not noticeable unless I am in a swimsuit. The fronts and backs look good until you see the innermost area.

I've always had bat wings and they are pretty bad. I am not really bothered to be honest.

I have (shockingly) no loose skin on my back, where I used to practically have "boobs" made of back fat...also no loose skin on my knee area which is another pleasant surprise. Same with my underarm area, it's pretty good and I have the concave pits now.

Despite the loose skin areas from losing about 140 lb total, I am not considering surgery at ALL. I don't think it's bad for those who do want it but I am not a fan of any elective surgery for a number of reasons, and I'm also such a perfectionist that if I did get say, my arms done, I can see myself never being satisfied and having 30+ surgeries.

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    6'0 184-7lbs - was 253lb 2 years ago and officially lost weight and built a solid frame till now.

My issue is that my body without viewing the stomach or chest in depth, I look 12-14% bodyfat but the excess skin and fat on the lower stomach makes me average at 15-17% lol.

I guess my only way to lose that excess is to lose more weight down to 170lb possibly although I am not willing to cut this dramatically since I have built a solid amount of muscle mass and strength gains so far. So we shall see ;)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I was almost 300 lbs when I first starting losing weight. Developed an eating disorder, but dropped around 200 lbs. Gained 70 back, again with eating disorder. Lost a little over 30 again, and holding steady for the past two years or so. I have excess skin everywhere. Mostly noticeable in my upper arms though, and my thighs (but it just looks like I have cellulite). I refuse to wear short sleeves or sleeveless except when I'm working out.

I doubt I'll have the surgery though. I've been on blood thinner for over ten years, and it has affected my ability to heal. If my cat even scratches me, I have a scar. I'll have a bruise for months before it fully goes away. Not to mention the risk of antibiotic resistant infections that seem rampant in hospitals, I just don't think it's worth it. Yes, it makes me feel sh!tty about myself, but with my history of eating disorders, I know that probably wouldn't change even if I had the surgery.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've got a fair bit on my upper arms and predict my thighs will be the same.

I've lost about 35 kilos over 2 and a quarter years and have about another 18-20 to go. I was underweight as a child and teen and gained the excess weight in a extremely short space of time around 7 years ago.

I'm about to be 30 now, so I've now spent a significant part of my life overweight (to varying degrees), but I'm hoping being relatively young will help with the skin elasticity a bit.

Like seltzermint, I would not consider surgery as I can forsee that I would never be happy with the results. But also because hospitals put the sh*ts up me and I'd never vountarily go under general anesthetic for an operation that is not essential (at least, for me).

The funny part about my upper arms is that I've never been happy to have them uncovered, at any weight. I have a burn scar from an accident as a child on my right arm and felt too self concious of it when I was thin, then I got fat and the scar faded a bit but I hated having bingo wings, now I have a bit of loose skin and my scar is becoming more visable.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,415 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and to date have lost 115lbs, with 105 or so to go (ballparking it). I have loose skin and lots of it. My abdomen (particularly the lower part), my upper arms, etc. I am actually struggling with constant fungal infection under the folds of the loose skin below my navel. Despite good personal hygiene I might add. I can't wait until summer, if I think it is bad now.

If I do manage to attain and more importantly, maintain my goal, I will have gone from 375 to 155 and I WILL HAVE SURGERY to remove the loose skin that I will have in abundance. But only if I maintain my loss for at least 12 months. That is my deal with myself and my husband is on board, given that he is well aware of the problems I am already having with the loose skin.

I am about to be 35 years old.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and to date have lost 115lbs, with 105 or so to go (ballparking it). I have loose skin and lots of it. My abdomen (particularly the lower part), my upper arms, etc. I am actually struggling with constant fungal infection under the folds of the loose skin below my navel. Despite good personal hygiene I might add. I can't wait until summer, if I think it is bad now.

If I do manage to attain and more importantly, maintain my goal, I will have gone from 375 to 155 and I WILL HAVE SURGERY to remove the loose skin that I will have in abundance. But only if I maintain my loss for at least 12 months. That is my deal with myself and my husband is on board, given that he is well aware of the problems I am already having with the loose skin.

I am about to be 35 years old.

Check with your insurance, if you get infections they might cover it.