Low calorie baking that actually tastes good?

madiao
madiao Posts: 119 Member
I love baking, but I don't love the amount of calories that come with it lol. I'm really interested to know if anyone has any recipes that they have tried that actually taste like and have the texture of the real thing??

I've tried low calorie baking in the past but it either ends up disgustingly granulated with some sweetener like Splenda or deflated and tasteless like low calorie brownies (that don't even really taste like chocolate!!).

Does anyone have any low calorie baking recipes that actually taste like the real version and have the texture like their full calorie counterpart?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    In my experience... nope. What I do now is cut the recipe in half or more and just enjoy a bit less.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    I agree with Francl27

There's just no substituting some things.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Yeah, no. You can't substitute the creaminess, fluffiness or buttery flavor of the real things.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I made these once: http://myfrugaladventures.com/2014/06/skinny-raspberry-banana-muffins/ They use mashed banana and greek yoghurt instead of traditional muffin ingredients. I used frozen mixed berries instead of fresh raspberries. I used 0% fat greek yoghurt and that was a problem. Without any fat, the muffins stuck to the paper liners like mad. I would use nonstick spray and no liners.

I have also made these: http://www.fitwithrachel.com/quick-healthy-cookies Literally, banana + oats. You really have to add other ingredients for flavor or they will just taste like banana bread bites. I made them super small and then sandwiched them with peanut butter. Delish.

The best advice for baking low calorie treats is to make each item smaller. Instead of making cupcakes, make mini cupcakes. Pie? Mini pies. Cake? Cakepops. Brownies? Brownie bites. I love my mini muffin pan.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Yeah, baking with Splenda or Truvia doesn't work, and I've tried lots. I have had some success with replacing 1/2 the oil in muffin and quickbread recipes with applesauce, though. But that doesn't really work with stuff like brownies...
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    I bake using butter and sugar and refuse to try lower calorie options. I make my biscuits a bit smaller, which reduces the calories a little, but mostly I'm just trying to teach myself moderation. Most of my biscuits work out at around 80 calories each, which I usually have room for a few nights a week. Quality over quantity!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    If you are going to bake and eat this sort of food then make it worthwhile and do it less often.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    What kind of lunatic makes cookies from mashed bananas??!!??
    I found the recipe when I was looking for ways to use up old bananas. I only really like bananas when they're almost unripe- green around the edges. I also found that the recipe was good for people who have celiac, IBS, or are on FODMAP for other medical reasons.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I've tried the oatmeal and banana cookies... NOPE. lol.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've tried the oatmeal and banana cookies... NOPE. lol.

I made them a few weeks ago. The BF and kids said they liked them but i wasn't thrilled. Now i question how much they really liked them because no one has asked me to make them again. Also, they didn't keep very long before they looked like a science experiment.

I am considering making an oatmeal banana leather in the dehydrator, like a fruit roll up. No "cookie" expectations might make it go over better.
  • waterbyrde
    waterbyrde Posts: 30 Member
    Try the SkinnyTaste version of Starbuck's cranberry bliss bar. My in-laws especially loved the 1/3 fat cream cheese frosting. This has to be refrigerated, so it doesn't hold up well on holiday cookie plates. Lesson learned there...

Here's a link: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/12/skinny-cranberry-bliss-bars.html

I subbed apple sauce for 1/2 the butter. I also skipped the white chocolate chips and drizzle, but added walnuts. The skinny taste version was listed as 149 calories a bar...I didn't calculate my version.

I think you have to be careful about lower-calorie recipes. Bars/breads make it easier to reduce oils/butters. Most cookies lose their texture too easily.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I'm a baker and I've yet to find anything that significantly cuts calories and that tastes good. Some of the recipes that sub in mashed bananas or canned pumpkin aren't too bad, but I don't think the calories are all that much lower. Might as well have the real thing.
  • madiao
    Thanks guys! I was hanging on to a small piece of hope that there might be some magic out there haha.

Its so deceptive when you see all the pictures on pintrest and they look divine, then yours turns out nothing like it :(

the smaller portions/cookies is an ace idea though. Thanks!! :)
  • jennym194
    jennym194 Posts: 9 Member
    I have made muffins with applesauce and bananas and they were great and only 100 calories. I also did the smaller cookie thing for Christmas and that definitely helped me not over eat this year on christmas.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    All the time. My basic substitutions are egg whites for eggs (double) and applesauce for any oil. Sometimes, I'll also substitute bananas for the sweetener. Search pinterest. You'll find tons of great healthy desserts.
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    there used to be a website called "eat healthy america" i think it's been renamed though…I've found some good receipes on there.

Also - when ever I bake (which is a lot with 3 growing boys in the house!) I always half my flour with "Hamiltons" barley flour. It pumps up the fibre and makes the baking so moist and doesn't have the same dry whole wheat flavour.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited December 2014
    How about something like meringue cookies? Of course they're not like cookie cookies, but they were never supposed to be. 3 egg whites, 1.5 tsp vanilla, 2/3 cup sugar, 0.5 tsp lemon juice and some food coloring - makes about 40 cookies at about 11 cals per cookie plus they're fun to pipe into different shapes. And they kind of melt in your mouth like cotton candy.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I make many different "healthy" cookies. While they're not low in calorie, they are very nutritious and tasty. If you are interested in anything like that, I will be happy to share some recipes.
  • madiao
    I've done the meringue cookies before! I love them they're just like pavlova :D

I'd love to hear some of your cookie recipes Lucys! Cookies are my absolute weakness haha, the one food in the world I dont think I could live without (accompanied by a big glass of milk of course :P )
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Nope......I make the real stuff and just eat less of it.