Do you count tea and coffee as part of your water intake?

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Myths and Facts About Hydration Requirements:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181
  • MissSavie
    MissSavie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I only count water and consider the other bonus.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't count water anyway. But I have been drinking more tea lately and found that I've been becoming more hydrated (by evidence of my perpetually chapped lips becoming smoother, anyway). As far as I can tell, coffee does not properly hydrate me. I would count what hydrates you, but I would log them under "drinks" in the diary; as others have mentioned.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    HP921 wrote: »
    Coffee and tea can be dehydrating so I don't count them unless its green tea with no additives. I am trying to quit coffee and am in the process of switching to an antioxidant green tea which I will count it in my water intake. Regardless of that I get 64 oz of water in daily.

They are not dehydrating.

It's not black and white. It can be dehydrating in larger quantities but a glass or two shouldn't have much of an impact.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Coffee and tea can be dehydrating so I don't count them unless its green tea with no additives. I am trying to quit coffee and am in the process of switching to an antioxidant green tea which I will count it in my water intake. Regardless of that I get 64 oz of water in daily.

It's not black and white. It can be dehydrating in larger quantities but a glass or two shouldn't have much of an impact.

Actually - no. As people will not bother to click the link I provided, I will post the content here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 - any beverage counts

"beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute"

"What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake."

http://www.jacn.org/content/22/2/165.short flavored plain water counts

"Inclusion of plain drinking water compared to exclusion of plain drinking water in the diet did not affect the markers of hydration used in this study."

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short any beverage counts

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

http://bjsportmed.com/content/40/5/406.abstract sports drinks can hydrate more than plain water in some situations

"Ad libitum consumption of a CHO-E drink may be more effective than water in minimising fluid deficits and mean core temperature responses during tennis and other similar training in adolescent athletes."

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/592S.short food counts

"Various reports indicate that humans receive 20–25% of their daily water intake from food. Fruits, vegetables and other high-moisture foods, therefore, make an important contribution to total fluid intake."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."

http://jap.physiology.org/content/83/4/1152.abstract? interesting one about alcohol post exercise and recovery

“There appears to be no difference in recovery from dehydration whether the rehydration beverage is alcohol free or contains up to 2% alcohol, but drinks containing 4% alcohol tend to delay the recovery process.”

• mommyrunning
    Options

Actually - no.

I'm not here trying to argue but you seem really adamant about saying it's not dehydrating when it can be. I agree that the casual caffeine drinker doesn't need to worry about it but it's not completely accurate to say it isn't dehydrating.

• Sarauk2sf
    edited December 2014
    Options

Actually - no.

I'm not here trying to argue but you seem really adamant about saying it's not dehydrating when it can be. I agree that the casual caffeine drinker doesn't need to worry about it but it's not completely accurate to say it isn't dehydrating.

Please could you point me to where it shows it can be dehydrating. I have provided studies that show it is not.

Net, net, a cup of coffee will hydrate you.
  • mommyrunning
    edited December 2014
    Options

Actually - no.

Please could you point me to where it shows it can be dehydrating. I have provided studies that show it is not.

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

"Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."

The post you linked here has information saying the diuretic effect is minimal which indicates it exists not that it is non-existent. I indicated in my posts that it has a small effect. I agree with you on most points just not that the point that is not at all dehydrating.
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as "water", I use "fluids" going by what we logged as fluid intake in the hospital. So yes, coffee, tea, juice, clear broths, and even jello all count toward your fluid intake. If it really was just "water" that functioned toward hydration I would have died as a teenager. I've never been a plain water drinker, and only drink it during workouts. Otherwise it's all coffee and tea. Most days I don't bother keeping track of fluid intake, but I put in almost everything I drink in whether it has calories or not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Actually - no.

The post you linked here has information saying the diuretic effect is minimal which indicates it exists not that it is non-existent. I indicated in my posts that it has a small effect. I agree with you on most points just not that the point that is not at all deydrating.

It still hydrates - hence my net,net comment.

Water is a diuretic.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    As someone noted – Water is water and coffee dehydrates. I know my cardiologist has told me to drink lots of water for my heart (& to limit coffee) and I know water helps balance body fluids.

No it does not.

I see what you mean – I should have elaborated and worded differently – (cardiologist was primarily concerned of caffeine and blood pressure / stroke risk etc. and stated water was the best choice all around).

As the Mayo Clinic notes:

"It is true that caffeinated fluids can contribute to your daily fluid requirement. Drinking caffeine–containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested.

While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration.

Still, caffeinated drinks can cause headaches and insomnia in some people. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie–free, caffeine–free, inexpensive and readily available."

Taken from WebMD article on benefits of drinking water. "Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature."

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    As someone noted – Water is water and coffee dehydrates. I know my cardiologist has told me to drink lots of water for my heart (& to limit coffee) and I know water helps balance body fluids.

No it does not.

I see what you mean – I should have elaborated and worded differently – (cardiologist was primarily concerned of caffeine and blood pressure / stroke risk etc. and stated water was the best choice all around).

As the Mayo Clinic notes:

"It is true that caffeinated fluids can contribute to your daily fluid requirement. Drinking caffeine–containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested.

While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration.

Still, caffeinated drinks can cause headaches and insomnia in some people. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie–free, caffeine–free, inexpensive and readily available."

Taken from WebMD article on benefits of drinking water. "Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids. Your body is composed of about 60% water. The functions of these bodily fluids include digestion, absorption, circulation, creation of saliva, transportation of nutrients, and maintenance of body temperature."

Not arguing that water is not a very good choice. No calories, free, non stimulant (although, stimulants have their place) etc.

Water causes the need to pee also.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Not arguing that water is not a very good choice. No calories, free, non stimulant (although, stimulants have their place) etc.

Water causes the need to pee also. [/quote]

:)
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Urn_Ash wrote: »
    No. I log water as water. Other beverages go under the drinks option I made.