Dunkin Donuts Coffee?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
Hi, before college I used to have this habit of always ordering a medium caramel iced coffee with cream from Dunkin Donuts, which according to their website was 260 calories (their medium iced coffees are 24 fl oz). However, recently I have been thinking, and I can't help but question these numbers. For 24 ounces of syrup and creamed coffee anywhere else, the caloric content is generally much higher than this. I looked into it further, and without syrup it said just the medium iced coffee with cream would be 100 calories. For 24 fl ounces (medium iced) of coffee with whole milk, 40 calories, and with skim milk, 30 calories! There is no way 24 fl ounces of coffee with whole milk, or even skim, could be this low (I'm not sure about cream since I never purchase it at home and am less familiar with its nutritional content).
What are your thoughts? If I order a medium iced coffee with cream and syrup, what should I log it as? Should I trust their numbers? Has anyone here experienced success in maintenance trusting these numbers?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if you aren't gaining and haven't changed anything else- it's fine- you are in maintenance.

If you start gaining- then you might want to re-evaluate.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It could be correct. Typically establishments like Dunkin' Donuts have a certain amount of "pumps" that they put into their coffee so that the caramel iced coffee you get at one branch tastes exactly the same as the one you get at the branch down the road. And as Jo said if you're not gaining then you should be fine.

(Personally I don't like D&D coffee. My husband got the "dark roast" and said it tasted like burnt coffee. Our McDonalds has Newmans own coffee. Hands down the BEST coffee out there).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I dunno, but I'm in love with D&D coffee and very angry that Costco no longer sells it. HMPH
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    100 calories for the cream seems reasonable to me -- "cream" usually means half and half in coffee shops, and half and half is 20 calories for those little half-ounce individual servings, which is plenty for a six to eight ounce cup of coffee. Five ounces of half and half (to get to 100 calories), or a little less if they're actually counting the four or five calories from the coffee itself, seems like a lot for a 24 oz. iced coffee (which I'm assuming is about 16 oz. of actual coffee in a 24 oz. cup, with ice occupying about a third of the volume). Or maybe they're actually using light cream (table cream) and only using 2 or 3 fl. oz. 30 calories of skim milk is roughly 3 fl. oz, so maybe they use the same volume of dairy no matter which kind you ask for.

I don't know about the syrup, as I don't put anything sweet in my coffee; it ruins the flavor for me.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I dunno, but I'm in love with D&D coffee and very angry that Costco no longer sells it. HMPH

You can still get DD coffee from BJ's Warehouse if you have one in your area.