Keto was the right choice for me

Options
harmar21
harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I know I am going to regret this post as I am sure it will turn into a flame-war, but let me preface this by saying I don't believe keto is the right choice for everyone, but it was for me.

Over the holidays I 'cheated' quite a bit by eating a fair bit more carbs then I normaly while on keto, but still a lot less then my pre-keto days (and gaining 6lbs of waterweight as a result).
As soon as I ate some sugary sweets my cravings came instantly back. Along with the cravings came my hunger that I couldn't seem to satiate, I was eating way more (both quantity wise and calorie wise) then I normally do and still was hungry. This is why only calorie counting doesn't work for me and some others like me. I would love to eat these grains and sugars every day while staying at my target, but I couldn't without starving all the time.
The couple days of cheating over the holidays reaffirms to me that picking keto was the right decision for weight loss and hunger control.

So before you go bashing people saying "oh why cut out a whole food group, that is stupid just eat whatever you want and stay within your goals" , it just doesn't work for some of us.
I'd rather cut out a food group and actually not be hungry most of the time, than eat every food group but be miserable because I am always hungry.

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll get the bashing you're expecting since you're not spouting keto as the solution for everyone, or as a magic solution that exists outside of the rules of CICO.

I eat moderate carb for much the same reason you do, and watch my sugar intake because of migraines. I hear you. Everyone needs to find what works best for their body, but there's not something magic about any solution... even though it does feel like magic when something finally clicks into place for you after struggling for so long. Congratulations on finding what's right for you.
  • harmar21
    Options
    I don't think you'll get the bashing you're expecting since you're not spouting keto as the solution for everyone, or as a magic solution that exists outside of the rules of CICO.

I eat moderate carb for much the same reason you do, and watch my sugar intake because of migraines. I hear you. Everyone needs to find what works best for their body, but there's not something magic about any solution... even though it does feel like magic when something finally clicks into place for you after struggling for so long. Congratulations on finding what's right for you.
    Thanks, it's not like I didn't try pure calorie counting before. I tried it twice before and failed due to hunger. I thought I was destined to be obese forever until a couple months ago I saw quite a few people who said they went on atkins and where everything else failed, it worked for them due to not being hungry while still eating good foods.
    I originally started atkins, but soon switched to keto instead.
    I am hoping that eventually I can switch to eating a bit more carbs, but maybe I won't ever be able to if this holidays was any indication as to what happens. The grains didn't bring back the cravings, that was the sugar, so hopefully I can eventually bring back grains as I miss that more anyways
  • eric829_
    eric829_ Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi harmar21,

I am also cutting carbs and did the same as you during the last week or so. I didn't go out and get the food, it came to me via family and at work.

This is my second time on a low carb diet. The first time I lost 25 lbs and gained about half of it back over the course of a year.

It's all about will power and choices. One thing I did notice during that week were several headaches and I usually don't get headaches.

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I also eat a ketogenic diet. It helps me feel satiated, so that I am able to stay at a caloric deficit. Instead of gaining weight this holiday season, I've lost six pounds since Thanksgiving. And I feel great.

Many people are equally successful with simple calorie restriction and moderation. (I'm not one of them.) Great that you found what works best for you.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It did not work for me...there were too many inconveniences. Sometimes the only foods around are not keto-friendly. It was restrictive and not something I could do for the rest of my life. Maybe a year or two but certainly not forever. This is not meant to be a slam...I promise, but I notice you have been doing this for 4-5 months?? You are still in the honeymoon phase. I remember because I was very excited about it at that point. The problem for me was once I had a grain or something that was " forbidden", all of the cravings would come back--full force. What I like about everything in moderation is I can have 1/2 or 1 cup of rice and I am happy. I know tomorrow I can have it again if I want!

If you were so hungry before while calorie counting maybe you were being too aggressive with your weight loss goal? maybe you were not eating enough protein/fat to fill you up.

Sorry, I am not trying to talk you out of it. I just want you to know that if you have a change of heart in the future, you have options. Good luck with everything!! :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well, keto works if it works for you. I do think that the cravings and hunger can also be managed with moderate carbs if you are being sure to never eat sugary starchy foods on their own or in large quantities at once. I've never been on keto so I don't know to what degree that reduces hunger and cravings, but I can eliminate carb cravings on moderate carbs but I do need to be careful.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb a few of times, but every time I am ravenous the very next day and I can't seem to get enough food. Does anyone know why this is?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Like farfromthree, I used to do very low carb as well, and agree that it's too restrictive for a life-time eating plan.

I eventually found a carb balance that worked as a sustainable way of eating for me. Most of my carbs come from dairy and beans (I'm a vegetarian), and I average around 100g net a day. I was eating this way before I came to MFP--I was just eating too much of the food I ate at the time. I'm free from the craving that I used to experience eating this way.

There is a happy moderate balance that you can find if you ever feel that keto becomes TOO restrictive. I personally tend to limit grains, but that's down more to digestive issues I have with some of them than anything. I stay away from known triggers and eat other things in moderation, staying within set macro goal.
  • harmar21
    Options
    Well, keto works if it works for you. I do think that the cravings and hunger can also be managed with moderate carbs if you are being sure to never eat sugary starchy foods on their own or in large quantities at once. I've never been on keto so I don't know to what degree that reduces hunger and cravings, but I can eliminate carb cravings on moderate carbs but I do need to be careful.
    I was eating moderate carbs during this holiday season. Only times I had carbs were with dinners (one serving of corn, one serving of dressing, and a couple small pieces of fudge) I didn't go full blowout, I still think I had <150g of carbs (complete guess though)
    My calorie goal is set lower with keto than when I was just calorie counting and I am less hungry. (with calorie counting I did have it set at this level, but had to up it and even then still was hungry)

I am hoping that keto is something I only have to do until I get close to / at my goal weight. Because I don't want to be restricted from pizza, rice, fruits, etc from rest of my life. I am definitely not in love with keto, but so far nothing else has worked.

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    as long as its something you can sustain for life go for it! your philosophy of cutting down on carbs to allow for volume eating makes sense for you if thats more important to you, just make sure you can envision doing that forever

good luck to you
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb a few of times, but every time I am ravenous the very next day and I can't seem to get enough food. Does anyone know why this is?

Did you increase good fats intake to compensate?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Probably because you weren't eating enough protein and fat. When you go low carb, you need to eat a diet high in fat.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Yep. Had loads of protein and fat. My carbs were less than 5 though. Maybe too much, too soon.....
  • harmar21
    Options
    Yep. Had loads of protein and fat. My carbs were less than 5 though. Maybe too much, too soon.....
    how long did you do it for? For me, when I started keto I went completely cold turkey on carbs (i.e eating a ton, to very little). For the next 5 days I was absolutely starving and miserable. About 1/2 way through the 5th day my hunger completely went away, and went so much that I was struggling even eating enough. Appetite did slowly come back over the next couple of weeks but not to level it was before.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    5gms is low....perhaps try 25gms to 50gms.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    harmar21 wrote: »
    how long did you do it for? For me, when I started keto I went completely cold turkey on carbs (i.e eating a ton, to very little). For the next 5 days I was absolutely starving and miserable. About 1/2 way through the 5th day my hunger completely went away, and went so much that I was struggling even eating enough. Appetite did slowly come back over the next couple of weeks but not to level it was before.

2 days at a time. My willpower totally went out the window.

5gms is low....perhaps try 25gms to 50gms.

yes, I will try those numbers next time.

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Could be related to hypoglycemia or something. If I eat a good high protein meal with some fats and plenty of calories but barely any carbs, I get really sick. Like nausea and headache kind of sick. Those weren't your symptoms, but that could have influenced your hunger.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This. Moderate carb (under 100 grams for a while, now 40% or under 150 g) works for me, as well as just not eating processed carbs on their own much, but I'm completely open to the idea that keto works better for others, especially people who have struggled with hunger/cravings on other plans. (Hunger was never my issue.) It's why I think people should experiment until they find something that works.

The only thing I object to is when keto-evangelists start going on about the evils of carbs or how it must work better for everyone or will allow me to eat 3000 calories/day without gaining or some nonsense.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Anyone doing keto should ask themselves the following question: "can I do this for the rest of my life?".

If the answer is no then spare yourself the misery.

a) You don't need to.
    b) What misery ?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Anyone doing keto should ask themselves the following question: "can I do this for the rest of my life?".

If the answer is no then spare yourself the misery.

a) You don't need to.
    b) What misery ?

A) No, but I'd wager most people will panic, get depressed, and fall off the wagon once the water weight goes back on when carbs are introduced.
    B) The headaches and lethargy in induction. Plus not being able to eat cake or chocolate.

a) When a person decides to go keto, most will eat keto for life.
    b) Believe it or not, not everyone likes cake and chocolate.