Whole 30 Challenge Starting January 2 , 2015.

Options

Replies

• daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    mskris803 wrote: »
    If its not too late I'd like to join!
    It's not too late at all. Please join us!

• jojogmd
    jojogmd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I started the whole 30 on my own today!
  • Kristians_mum
    Options
    Hi All!
    I have logged back onto MFP after a fair bit of time away. I am on Day 4 of Whole 30 and so far doing ok. Was hoping that you wouldnt mind if I joined along in your journey. Just going back and reading through all of the posts now.
    How is everyone else going? Are you finding that you are getting enough fats, vegge, water? Also has anyone found some great links or free resources for recipes etc that you could share?
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So I just read through the rules and am already extremely close to do this already being low carb (Atkins). Going to get all my measurements down and have my boys hide the scale !

Had to edit - there is no way I can afford this diet :( (single mom of 4) but will try to do a substitute version in the spirit of things since it sounds awesome.
    - http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21528-affording-whole30whole9-lifestyle-on-a-budget/
  • daniat
    Options
    I am loving this lifestyle. I woke up this morning without the usual brain fog and no sinus issues. Not sure how much is real and how much is in my head, but so far so good. It would be great if you guys could post some recipes in the group.

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This can seem impossible on a budget, I know. Something I use often is a slow cooker. Whole chickens and turkey breasts are much less expensive than buying it sliced at the deli counter.
    Fattier cuts of meat are less expensive, too, and they slow cook very well.
    (Kids love tacos and wraps, so they can have the meat that way while you put over some greens.)
    Bone in, skin on chicken thighs are very inexpensive and they cook up so delicious in a skillet with just olive oil and herbs. That was such a great budget helper after realizing that the no-fat diets weren't the answer, so I could stop shelling out for boneless skinless breasts!
    The Paleo group has a section for recipes and cookbooks, if anyone wants to wander over and check that group out. Lots of great people, too.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    ejcanavan wrote: »
    So I just read through the rules and am already extremely close to do this already being low carb (Atkins). Going to get all my measurements down and have my boys hide the scale !

Had to edit - there is no way I can afford this diet :( (single mom of 4) but will try to do a substitute version in the spirit of things since it sounds awesome.
    - http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21528-affording-whole30whole9-lifestyle-on-a-budget/

It definitely seems overwhelming money-wise, but here's a few things I am doing to cut costs, in case it helps you too: I am doing organic when I can (which is rarely, but organic kale was on sale for 99 cents/bunch this week!) but buying free-range eggs and grass-fed meat is completely out of my budget so I'm sticking to what I can get in the store. For the most part, I buy meat when it is on sale (buy more than you need for the week, for weeks it isn't on sale) or manager's markdown. I buy fruit and vegetables in season and on sale too. My big splurge for Whole30 so far has been to buy nuts but they will last a while. We have Aldi here and they have good prices on produce so that helps a lot. And I figure I'm saving on dairy (somewhat, my family is not doing Whole 30) so that helps. On the menu this week: roasted chicken with vegetables, chicken soup (made from the chicken carcass and more vegetables), chicken fajitas (with no tortillas for me), meatballs in tomato sauce (with garlicky spinach for me and probably spaghetti for the rest of the family), and Paleo chili (that one is more expensive than usual, because I usually put beans in chili so I'm using more meat). Lunch is leftovers or salad with grilled chicken and breakfast is eggs with whatever vegetables I have on hand. Most of the meals are ones I would have made before Whole30 with a few modifications. I do think it will end up being a little more expensive than usual but I think it will be doable here. I do think that pasta, oats and rice are inexpensive and it is hard to not be able to turn to those for an inexpensive meal!

• blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of recipes. I'm trying this one tomorrow.

http://yourworldnatural.blogspot.com/2013/01/whole30-challenge-day-5.html

Here is another one that I can't wait to try.
    http://meatified.com/beef-pumpkin-stew/
  • lynda591
    lynda591 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in, started on the 27th so day 7 down. Google Whole 30, read all the info 1st. Plan plan plan & read the timeline too !
  • daniat
    Options
    I accidentally declined a membership to the group :-( . If that person sees this, please try again. Thanks
  • daniat
    Options
    Pinterest has a ton of recipes. I'm trying this one tomorrow.

http://yourworldnatural.blogspot.com/2013/01/whole30-challenge-day-5.html

Here is another one that I can't wait to try.
    http://meatified.com/beef-pumpkin-stew/

I love the meatified site. Lot's of great recipes. Thanks for posting.

• Kristians_mum
    Options
    daniat wrote: »
    I accidentally declined a membership to the group :-( . If that person sees this, please try again. Thanks

Could have been me - I am still waiting. Will ask again now :)
  • Roni287
    Roni287 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting tomorrow. Wanted to start on the 2nd but had to wait until today to make a grocery trip. Hoping this will help with the constant migraines and losing weight will take some of the pressure of my poor arthritic joints!!
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting tomorrow. Wanted to start on the 2nd but had to wait until today to make a grocery trip. Hoping this will help with the constant migraines and losing weight will take some of the pressure of my poor arthritic joints!!

I have frequent headaches as well. I don't know if it will be the same case for you, but one thing I did notice was that I always stopped having headaches when I limited or eliminated my sugar intake (and also drank enough water through the day). I hope this Whole30 will help to get rid of those migraines!
  • daniat
    Options
    daniat wrote: »

Could have been me - I am still waiting. Will ask again now :)

Sorry about that Kristans mum. I sent you an invitation,
  • analisareyna
    analisareyna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay, everyone, started Paleo January 1st. I know this is a Whole 30 forum but the intent is to ease into Whole 30. Quite honestly, it's because I invested all of my research into Paleo and haven't checked Whole 30 out yet.

It was hard cleaning out the cupboards of grains, pastas, sauces, etc. All packed away in a box ready to go to a food pantry. How is everyone transitioning into their new lifestyle?
  • lhoff85
    lhoff85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to join the group! Starting tomorrow!
  • kajulian
    kajulian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Day 3, and all is good, can we make a group so we can all support each other on our journey?

• dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I just sent a request to join the group. I started my second Whole 30 yesterday. I did one last year and felt so amazing, but then slid back into my old ways. Its always great to have the support, especially because I still have all the non-compliant foods around because the rest of my family isn't doing it with me.
  • x_Redeemed_x
    Options
    I just requested to Join - I technically started on the 5th, but I'm in for the long haul