Bulking/Gaining Weight

Options
I'm looking for some advice on gaining weight. Over the past 12 months I've been trying to gain weight, and have put on 9.1kg, which feels like it has taken forever. I'm currently aiming to eat 3,000 calories a day, which include 300g of carbs, 100g of fat and 225g of protein. I'm not always great at sticking to these macros, but recently have been making a real effort to reach the 3,000 calorie goal.

Does the amount of calories and macro breakdown sound about right to gain muscle?

Do you have any advice you can give me to speed up the process?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat more.

3K for a guy isn't much- that's around my bulking surplus.

Bulking - much like losing IS a slow process- and the more you try to rush it- the more likely you are to get results you aren't happy with (in both cases)

If you're still trying to gain (I assume you are) I would up your intake by 2-300 calories and see what that does for you. if you feel you're gaining to fast- drop back down.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've used 300 calories as myfitnesspal recommended this figure to increase weight by 0.25kg per week which I thought sounded reasonable.

Do the macro nutrients sound right for my goal?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    eat more.

3K for a guy isn't much- that's around my bulking surplus.

Bulking - much like losing IS a slow process- and the more you try to rush it- the more likely you are to get results you aren't happy with (in both cases)

If you're still trying to gain (I assume you are) I would up your intake by 2-300 calories and see what that does for you. if you feel you're gaining to fast- drop back down.

JO - That's because you're a beast...

OP - What was your starting weight? 9kg is almost 20lb, less than 2 per month over 12 months. Depending on your weight gain goal, you could stand to put on more weight - .5-.6kg/week is a good start. As Jo stated, increase calories to see how you progress, and dial back if you feel you are putting on too much fat too soon. Macros don't matter for weight gain, but you can also drop your protein and add more carbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well shucks mister ;)
    I've used 300 calories as myfitnesspal recommended this figure to increase weight by 0.25kg per week which I thought sounded reasonable.

Do the macro nutrients sound right for my goal?

seconded the protein and add carbs.. and that macros are second to calories. You're macros could be perfect- but you won't gain- because you have no surplus. Surplus first- macros second.

also- did you increase your calories after you gain? remember your calorie intake is a moving target- as you gain weight- you need to eat more and more- as you lose weight- your target gets smaller- and you have to eat less (sh!tty I know).
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    OP - What was your starting weight? 9kg is almost 20lb, less than 2 per month over 12 months. Depending on your weight gain goal, you could stand to put on more weight - .5-.6kg/week is a good start. As Jo stated, increase calories to see how you progress, and dial back if you feel you are putting on too much fat too soon. Macros don't matter for weight gain, but you can also drop your protein and add more carbs.

Starting weight was 70kg at the beginning of 2014.

Thanks for all of your help
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

also- did you increase your calories after you gain? remember your calorie intake is a moving target- as you gain weight- you need to eat more and more- as you lose weight- your target gets smaller- and you have to eat less (sh!tty I know).

Exactly what I was going to say.

Also, well done OP, 9.2 in 12mos is really good. Imagine what sticking to your plan, some patience, and another year will bring!