Beyond ravenous after taking nighttime meds

Options
I've been reflecting on my weight gain over the last 3 years and I've been blaming it on my anti-depressant. But after coming here and realizing the logic of CICO, I've been trying to see where I am increasing my caloric intake.

A couple of things are happening, but what really stands out to me is that I have drastically increased the amount of food I eat after 10:30. I have really bad insomnia and I take a sleep/anti-anxiety med at 10:00 (Trazadone). I have typically eaten okay most of the day (i.e. am within my calories) but once it kicks in at 10:30 I feel extremely relaxed and maniacally hungry. I raid the pantry for things that I would never eat during the day. Unfortunately, we have four kids so DH is not going for a 100% healthy snack pantry.

Has anyone experienced this? Suggestions? I've had a little success by preparing snacks ahead of time, like a huge amount of popcorn, but as I get closer to my cycle I will eat that and even more.

I am actually afraid to just not eat when I feel that way, like I will lose my mind, lol. But really, I wonder if I'd still be able to sleep, if I'd just start eating too much all day long or if I resist it for a while, if it would go away?

I got so discouraged with it that I stopped logging months ago and am back after a 10+ pound gain from Halloween to now. Thank you for your recommendations/ support/ideas.

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have reduced control on the drugs (sort of like alcohol)... This is a tough one. Is there a way to take the drug and then go lie down to read before you go to bed? I often times drink hot herbal tea with honey and take a hot shower before I go to bed which helps me to do something relaxing without eating...
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to sleep after taking your meds at 10, hopefully it will become a habit after a few days.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, but I was just wondering if you have to take your meds at 10:30? Does it affect your sleep quite fast? The thing is, what if you take it before dinner and then when the hunger strikes, you eat dinner. I don't know... it's just an idea that popped into my head.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Trazadone is notorious for increased appetite. You can bring it up with your psychiatrist to see if maybe there is a different medication that won't cause so much increased appetite. If not, can you maybe try taking it later and go right to sleep?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to save the calories for after 10:30 to allow the eating? Otherwise, being aware of the problem is half of your battle.
  • smendoza929
    smendoza929 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I take ambien for my insomnia. This is a huge problem, you hardly even remember eating too.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The only advice i have is to take the meds and go to bed right after that. If you need to go to bed later, try taking the meds later....

I'm on several meds that make me ravenous, but I've worked hard to train myself to ignore that or just go to bed right after i take them. (I'm allergic to trazodone but i take restoril and klonopin)

It's tough and takes a lot of hard work and trial and error sometimes, though. Good luck!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I take ambien for my insomnia. This is a huge problem, you hardly even remember eating too.

So true! My husband says I sleep eat. The kids worry about special snacks of theirs I might eat at night. It's really ridiculous.
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    Sounds like you have reduced control on the drugs (sort of like alcohol)... This is a tough one. Is there a way to take the drug and then go lie down to read before you go to bed? I often times drink hot herbal tea with honey and take a hot shower before I go to bed which helps me to do something relaxing without eating...

That's actually a great idea. If I take it and then go and do something relaxing, maybe once it kicks in I will just go straight to sleep. Maybe having the hot tea will help me to feel a little more satiated.
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    TopazCutie wrote: »
    Force yourself to sleep after taking your meds at 10, hopefully it will become a habit after a few days.
    Unfortunately, I can't sleep until the meds kick in, which is why I take the meds.

• Holla4mom
    Options
    I haven't experienced this, but I was just wondering if you have to take your meds at 10:30? Does it affect your sleep quite fast? The thing is, what if you take it before dinner and then when the hunger strikes, you eat dinner. I don't know... it's just an idea that popped into my head.
    I actually think I was doing something similar to this. I do need to take it within 30-50 minutes to going to sleep or I seem to miss the sleep window. However, I use to wait and eat dinner really late, like 10, so when I got hungry, I was just eating a bigger dinner. I thought it was "bad" to eat late, so I moved my dinner up and now I eat dinner plus the equivalent of another dinner after I take the meds. I could try reversing it, eating a healthy, small snack at dinner so I am not ravenous and then after I take my meds and get hungry I can eat my real dinner instead of raiding the pantry.

• Holla4mom
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Trazadone is notorious for increased appetite. You can bring it up with your psychiatrist to see if maybe there is a different medication that won't cause so much increased appetite. If not, can you maybe try taking it later and go right to sleep?
    There are other meds, but Trazadone seems the most effective for me and the best for long term use. Because I am in the mental health field my PCP feels comfortable prescribing it and I don't have a psychiatrist (just a therapist). I might consider scheduling with a psychiatrist if some of the other tips don't work to see if there are other options I don't know about. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    The only advice i have is to take the meds and go to bed right after that. If you need to go to bed later, try taking the meds later....

I'm on several meds that make me ravenous, but I've worked hard to train myself to ignore that or just go to bed right after i take them. (I'm allergic to trazodone but i take restoril and klonopin)

It's tough and takes a lot of hard work and trial and error sometimes, though. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. So you take those at night right? Does being "hungry" keep you from sleeping?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you tried anything besides Trazadone? Do you take it in the daytime as well? I ask because I used to take it for insomnia and then one day my shrink was like, why don't you try some OTC meds and see what happens so I did and they worked just as well with no noticeable side effects. Unisom is the brand name. Shrink "prescribed" Benadryl but that made me wired instead. Anyway just to throw it out there...I know it's a big decision.
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Is there any way to save the calories for after 10:30 to allow the eating?

I would second this suggestion. If you have self-control during the day, can you adjust your other meals to leave yourself a substantial portion of your calories for this time of day? Maybe have a light lunch and dinner, then plan for a 4th full meal after 10:30. Make sure to include carbs in it (IME, carb-less meals don't satisfy nighttime hunger. Carbs are needed for the seratonin-melatonin conversion).
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You could try taking psyllium husk mixed with water...it is just a fiber supplement. I noticed that when I take it in the evening I have no urge to snack...it makes you feel full for a long time without adding any calories.
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ckholland3 wrote: »
    I actually think I was doing something similar to this. I do need to take it within 30-50 minutes to going to sleep or I seem to miss the sleep window. However, I use to wait and eat dinner really late, like 10, so when I got hungry, I was just eating a bigger dinner. I thought it was "bad" to eat late, so I moved my dinner up and now I eat dinner plus the equivalent of another dinner after I take the meds. I could try reversing it, eating a healthy, small snack at dinner so I am not ravenous and then after I take my meds and get hungry I can eat my real dinner instead of raiding the pantry.

I think I'd reverse it & have a very light dinner so you'll have calories available later. One less thing to worry about is how late you eat. Your body does not care when you eat unless you have acid reflux or some other issue that would make it difficult to eat at night.
  • Holla4mom
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You could try taking psyllium husk mixed with water...it is just a fiber supplement. I noticed that when I take it in the evening I have no urge to snack...it makes you feel full for a long time without adding any calories.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!