Lifting "heavy" with dumbbells only?

Options
Ok so since being on here I've read more about the benefits of lifting heavy...always knew resistance training was where it's at BUT am a cardio junkie and always struggled to push myself when it comes to resistance stuff.

The time has come to try and commit to it. Hit the ripe old age of 50 today (how the heck did that happen so fast!) and cardio-wise still fitter than most half my age and decent strength to weight ratio BUT it becomes tougher to maintain weight and don't like having to eat less!

So to the question...I only have access to dumbbells so is it possible to increase muscle mass with those? Any typical programmes I might be able to follow and/or recommendations?

Actually, increase muscle mass is not likely as wouldn't want to eat at a surplus and gain - hold muscle mass and lose fat perhaps...not really sure!

I'm currently doing a hybrid Insanity/T25 programme 6 days a week but happy to let a few slide to work the resistance element more...

Thanks.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If the dumbells are heavy enough that they are challenging to lift, then yes. The mode doesn't matter as much as the difficulty. Barbells, dumbells, body weight, kettle bells, etc.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been gaining muscle with body weight only. Of course, I started out as a total weenie with NO muscle so not sure I could have picked up an actual weight anyway!
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I tend to already work with bodyweight - can manage about 50 press ups and recently got to 80 when working through the 100 challenge. I love them and still do them during Insanity. Think I need less volume, more weight...
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I tend to already work with bodyweight - can manage about 50 press ups and recently got to 80 when working through the 100 challenge. I love them and still do them during Insanity. Think I need less volume, more weight...

A way to make your body build more muscle could be using the weight you are using now (although I do not know how heavy you would consider heavy); but increase the intensity doing it. So say instead of doing standard press ups for 80 reps - try to stand in a decline position so get a chair and do it this way and perform the repetition with a pause at the bottom of the press - I doubt you would be able to get beyond 40 reps doing this. By stimulating your muscles in a way that it is not use to, you can build additional muscle by increasing the difficulty with the same weight.

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If the dumbells are heavy enough that they are challenging to lift, then yes. The mode doesn't matter as much as the difficulty. Barbells, dumbells, body weight, kettle bells, etc.
    I agree.

And Happy Birthday!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They should be fine, particularly early on...the problem is that for certain movements, they're ultimately just not going to be challenging enough for what would be considered a "heavy" rep range. For example, a goblet squat may be difficult for you right now..but this is largely because you are untrained...in reality, your legs are likely capable of a goblet squat far heavier than what you can support with your arms holding a dumbbell.

I use dumbbells quite a bit but I also don't do a traditional "heavy" strength program either. For certain movements like bench press, I actually like them better as they are easier on my shoulders...I almost always use dumbbells for benching and only BB bench press maybe a handful of times per month on my Saturdays which are the only days I work in the "heavy" rep range.
  • amandarunning
    Options
    Great advice - thanks guys...that link looks excellent advice for sure.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you can do 50 push ups, you should be working on more difficult variations like close push ups, archer push ups, one arm push ups, and handstand push ups. There's a way to make everything harder.
  • amandarunning
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you can do 50 push ups, you should be working on more difficult variations like close push ups, archer push ups, one arm push ups, and handstand push ups. There's a way to make everything harder.

Thanks. Handstand push up always on my "wish I could do" list so 2015 is the year!