June 2013 plank challenge - for abs

Options

Replies

• astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    between squats and tightening my core during all lifts, I was very far along the first day I ever tried planks. It was brutal but I got it, Point is, engaging your abs, while doing all strength training, will do a LOT for your core strength.

Good luck on the challenge and lock that core out all the time. It'll improve form and make all your training more rewarding.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the challenge and lock that core out all the time. It'll improve form and make all your training more rewarding.

Thanks for the advice, will do.
  • Darius66
    Darius66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Count me in... Shooting for Gold!
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    We do planks so much in martial arts. My TOP time was 5 minutes
    it sucks hardcore. But i did it. I only ever do it to 3 minutes max now. I personally thinking mixing the planks are the best.

right sided - 1 minute
    middle - 1 minute
    left sided - 1 minute
    middle - 1 minute

Going for diamond!
    Great idea!
    I'm in as well! Now did I miss something because I can't find a"group." Heard about it from a member of my one and only MFP group. Thanks Julie
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Day 1 done!

1 min plank
    30 sec right side plank
    30 sec left side plank
    Then I meant to do 1 min plank, but only got about 50 sec
  • lokecheer
    lokecheer Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    im in :)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Day 2 done! 1 minute reg plank
    45 sec right side plank
    45 sec left side plank
    1 min regular plank

Whew!
  • jan112
    jan112 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Day 1- 60 second planks x 3
    Day 2- 70 second planks x 3
    Working my way up!
  • yoshigreen94
    Options
    I'm shooting for diamond!
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Days 1 - 3 done! 30 s x 3 each day. Hoping to increase time over the month, never done planks before.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I managed 45 x 45 x 45 on Saturday. I did another workout that includes lots of planks yesterday and today, so will really start up on doing planks for this challenge tomorrow.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    On saturday I did 30x30x30 pretty easily. On sunday I moved up to 45x45x45, not too bad. :)
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Day 3 I moved up to silver 60x60x60..it was a challenge after the first set but I stuck it out with a 1 min break in between each set. :)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Day 4 done! Man, it felt hard today!
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Did 60 x 60 x 60 yesterday. I'll move it up slowly, hoping to get gold by the end of the month.
  • egrif1
    egrif1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I want to be in, but what does 30s x 30s x 30s mean. I know the "s" means seconds, but how to do you perform these? Are you doing a set of 30 in 30 seconds????
  • egrif1
    egrif1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand the 30x x 30s x 30s. Is this just one plank that you are holding for 30 seconds each? I want to be in, but need to understand.
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Great question. I was personally doing the 1 minute straight, 1 minute side, straight, side and straight. Total of 5 minutes. But is the original 30s -30s-30s considered one set? So if I were to follow that method to work my way up to diamond I would end up doing 3 sets of 120+120+120 (or whatever diamond was.....can't recall and my post is covering up the original challenge post. Lol
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    So its just 3 planks held for the amount of seconds listed? Or does all three count as 1 set? How many sets need to be done per day?
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    So its just 3 planks held for the amount of seconds listed? Or does all three count as 1 set? How many sets need to be done per day?

3 reps - 1 set.

So 30 x 30 x 30 would be:
    hold plank 30 seconds, rest, hold plank 30 seconds, rest, hold plank 30 seconds, rest = 1 set complete.
    Typically an exercise is done in a set of 3. So, do this^ 3 times per day.