stay at home Moms

Options
Any other Stay at home Moms here looking to start committing to loving their bodies again? We All could use some Motivation and Support :)

Replies

• Mannalou
    Options
    Yes! I am a stay at home mom/foster mom and I've gotta get this weight off!
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm a sahm of a 14 month old. He takes very irregular naps, so I'm trying to figure out how best to get my new workouts in. When I mention it to my non mom friends, they give me all these "solutions" that don't actually work.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm on maternity leave, so I'm a SAHM temporarily :). We get a year for maternity leave in England.

I've been back at the gym since my baby (she's my third) was 6.5 weeks old.

AndyBee, does your gym have a crèche? My gym has one between 9:45-11:45 to cover the morning classes. Luckily I don't really need to use it as my husband does shift work, so he's either at home until about 12:30 so I can exercise in the morning, or he's home by 2:15pm, so I can exercise in the afternoon/evening.
  • BrendaLee615
    Options
    Im a sahm and need lots of motivation also. I have a question and have been looking through topics but cant seem to find any answer.

Its says I need to eat 1200 calories. For the past five days I have actually beem under my calorie goal, but I have not shed 1 pound yet. Why? Im so frustrated and want to give up but I want to look good this summer. I will be seeing alot of old friends and I just dont feel comfortable right now.
  • Miranda879
    Options
    Yes, Always looking for support and motivation. Friend me!
  • JustVibeWithMe
    Options
    I am here I have 107lbs to lose and I am just beginning my journey. Feel free to add me.
  • intrepie
    intrepie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im a sahm and need lots of motivation also. I have a question and have been looking through topics but cant seem to find any answer.

Its says I need to eat 1200 calories. For the past five days I have actually beem under my calorie goal, but I have not shed 1 pound yet. Why? Im so frustrated and want to give up but I want to look good this summer. I will be seeing alot of old friends and I just dont feel comfortable right now.

Did anyone help you yet? I love MFP, but 1200 is pretty low, for most people. If you don't consume at least that many calories, your body thinks you are starving (natural defence) and holds onto fat. Try meeting that, or even going up to 1400 and see how you do. :)
  • intrepie
    Options
    Me too! SAHM here. Looking to stay motivated. Only 30 lbs until I meet my goal, but I am nursing as well which makes this tricky. Feel free to add me! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM too. My kids are 6 though... MUCH easier once they are in school.
  • MrsCarsonPafford
    Options
    Yes, I am in desperate need of support. I have three kids and am a recent widow and stay at home mom. It is only after his passing that I am staying home with our kids. I have two that are in school (8yrs and 7 yrs) for a good part of the day but our youngest is only 11 months. You would think I would be crazy skinny with all the running I do and little time to eat. The problem is emotional eating and poor choices. But I am all in for being supportive to SAHM's and anyone else going through something in life and starting this journey.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    intrepie wrote: »

Did anyone help you yet? I love MFP, but 1200 is pretty low, for most people. If you don't consume at least that many calories, your body thinks you are starving (natural defence) and holds onto fat. Try meeting that, or even going up to 1400 and see how you do. :)

That is actually a false statement. If you are truly eating at a deficit your body does not 'hold on' to fat. It takes a while to get into the swing of accurately logging everything. You may be underestimating what you eat. It could also be other factors, if you recently started exercising, your body may be holding on to water weight, masking the fat loss. Water weight is the bane of my existence. Plus, it's only been 5 days, give it time!

I'm a stay at home mom of three, 9,6, and soon to be 3.

• QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM, over 100 to lose. Still down over 50 lbs from my highest start weight. I have a 7 week old, 19 month old and 4 year-old. It's hard to make time for myself but I just started treadmill while baby is taking afternoon nap and keeping older two entertained. Ordered a vivofit for motivation too. Feel free to add me anyone, I'm here daily and will be supportive in return. :-)
  • intrepie
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

That is actually a false statement. If you are truly eating at a deficit your body does not 'hold on' to fat. It takes a while to get into the swing of accurately logging everything. You may be underestimating what you eat. It could also be other factors, if you recently started exercising, your body may be holding on to water weight, masking the fat loss. Water weight is the bane of my existence. Plus, it's only been 5 days, give it time!

Not a false statement. This is what I've learned from experience and other gals. Your body won't burn fat if it isn't getting what it needs to function. Everyone is different :) your suggestions were also helpful!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Not a false statement. This is what I've learned from experience and other gals. Your body won't burn fat if it isn't getting what it needs to function. Everyone is different :) your suggestions were also helpful!

I kind of agree. I used to eat 1200, or less, and I did lose weight. I did it for years in my early 20s and was pretty thin, but I also got ill a lot, came down with every cold going. I exercised a lot too, but only cardio. The problem came when I moved in with my now husband and started eating normal amounts, and proper meals instead of a bit of salad. I also started my teacher training which was stressful, and I piled on weight very fast. I then lost it when we got engaged, but doing the same...not eating enough and purely cardio. Then I got pregnant after our wedding, gained weight, lost it the same way, got pregnant again, lost it the same way. Then I joined MFP, realised I didn't have to starve (I was also doing strength training by now) and I got as thin as I'd been in my early 20s, just stronger, at age 35! Now I'm losing weight after my 3rd baby, eating 1500-1600 usually, exercising loads, and losing pretty well I think.
  • valley2mtn
    valley2mtn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a single sahm and homeschool Mom. I stay busy and have put everything and everyone else above me. I am finally realizing the need to take care of myself. I lost 35 lbs in 2014 and am down 55 lbs from my highest weight. I have learned that, for me, all calories are not created equal. In order to really lose, I have to eliminate most breads and refined sugars. Also, if I cut back too much, my body will eventually resist weight loss. Every couple of months I find it helpful to have 2-3 days of high calorie eating to sort of jump start my system again. Similarly, if I do the same exercise routine over and over my body seems to stop responding to it. I have to keep throwing my system curve balls because it seems to find ways to use and conserve energy very efficiently. Someone mentioned that you may be underestimating your caloric intake. I have certainly been guilty of that before. Make sure that you are accurate in your measurements of food and that you count all sauces and condiments and that you count EVERY bite! Anyone on here, feel free to add me. I can always use more support :) I love MFP and the community on here. I find that most of the people are very encouraging and helpful!
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom to my four year old little boy. I do take classes at college though. I am expecting our second child in june and im taking a long break from college and am gonna stay home with both kiddos, anyone feel free to add me :)
  • BrendaLee615
    Options

I am still struggling to meet the 1200 calories. Plus I exercise everyday. I don't ever feel hungry. I try to eat proteins for breakfast. I keep carbs low and I am trying to watch my sugar intake to.
  • intrepie
    Options
    If you wanted to up calories, what about cheese or nuts? I'm not sure about carbs, but I thought they were fairly low... it has been a few days, any movement on the scale? Stay strong, girl! :)
  • amberbmcclellan
    Options
    Definitely! I stay home with my 2 boys! I need to get back to myself and focusing on my health! Anyone else excercise on their roku with Daily Burn?
  • ranae32
    ranae32 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM to a 5 month old little girl and will soon be watching a 6 month old boy. I gained a lot more then I had planned during pregnancy because of some depression due to some problems I had during pregnancy. I have about 55 lbs to lose to be at my all time lowest and goal weight. I recently bought p90X3 and did a week of it and then it was Christmas and now im going to start it again on Monday with my husband. Finding time to workout is going to be the challenge!!!