IIFYM

Options
NaturallyandProperly
NaturallyandProperly Posts: 138 Member
edited December 2014 in Getting Started
Does this sound right? I'm 5'4 194 pounds.

I changed my goals to fit the IIFYM and I'm over in carbs already. I set my goals to 1552 calories, 5% Carbs, 50% Protein, 45% Fat, 49g Fibre.

It's okay if I have to lower my carbs, but does that number seem low?

GRAMS per day - Carbs 27 Protein 194 Fat 77.6 Fibre 39-49

Thanks for any pointers.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Mine are set to 200/daily (45%), even if I never hit that. 5% carbs will be hard, very hard.

Anyone else that follow a very low carb plan have any pointers? I like sandwiches too much...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    50% protein sounds over the top. 5% carbs is achievable but not easy. Low carb green vegetables, meat, cheese, fish.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your protein goal is over the top because of the formula you're using on the IIFYM website...my guess is that you're using the formula that gives you 1 gram of protein per Lb of body weight, which is over the top...you don't need anymore than 1 gram per Lb of LBM.

Basically what you're looking at there is Keto...which, if that's what you're after then congratulations...but it's pretty over the top IMO.

Keep in mind that IIFYM is a concept that doesn't demonize certain foods or macros...and the YOUR (Y) in IIFYM is pretty important. That calculator is just capitalizing on the concept. There is no one size fits all macro ratio...your ratios should be dependent on your goals...largely your performance goals.

If it were me and I didn't have anything specific I was really shooting for, I'd just do zone (40c/30p/30f)...it's a pretty balanced approach...
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, your protein is too high. At your height, I'm guessing you'd be fine at ~120-130g protein. More would be fine, especially while trying to lose fat and maintain muscle. Also assuming you are going for low carb, 27 grams is really low. Less than a 50g carbs will generally keep you in ketosis. If that is your goal, set your Carb Goal to 50g and do not go over, set your Protein Goal to 120 and do not go under. Fill in the rest with fat.
    But, low carb is not a magic weight loss diet, calorie deficit is. Protein is the most important for maintaining lean mass (muscle) while in a calorie deficit, along with strength/resistance training.
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Makes sense. You are right cwolfman13, I was just going with the IIFYM calculator and prefer the zone for sure! I'm looking at loosing fat, while maintaining muscle but not really building at this point. Back to the gym soon. :)
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My guess is that your protein goal is over the top because of the formula you're using on the IIFYM website...my guess is that you're using the formula that gives you 1 gram of protein per Lb of body weight, which is over the top...you don't need anymore than 1 gram per Lb of LBM.

Basically what you're looking at there is Keto...which, if that's what you're after then congratulations...but it's pretty over the top IMO.

Keep in mind that IIFYM is a concept that doesn't demonize certain foods or macros...and the YOUR (Y) in IIFYM is pretty important. That calculator is just capitalizing on the concept. There is no one size fits all macro ratio...your ratios should be dependent on your goals...largely your performance goals.

If it were me and I didn't have anything specific I was really shooting for, I'd just do zone (40c/30p/30f)...it's a pretty balanced approach...

• NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    Feeling better already.
    Totals 440 56 15 16 11 23
    Your Daily Goal 1,552 155 52 116 49 45
    Remaining 1,112 99 37 100 38 22
  • 86tigger
    86tigger Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and weight as you pretty much. I'm on 40% carbs and 30% each of proteins and fats. I'm loving eating the amount of carbs im having as I do pretty intense gym workouts with weights and bootcamp classes.
    I think your calories are pretty low unless you aren't going to exercise. I'm on 2200 calories per day working out 5 days a week. I'm not sure why you would want your carbs as low as that tbh unless as another poster said you are doing the keto diet?
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    I definitely don't want to do a low carb diet that's for sure. I just want to be healthy, eat properly and exercise. No huge goals, just take it as it comes. Biggest goal is to keep up with my mountain biking group this summer. I've changed my goals to 40/30/30 too as the other posters commented the same thing. My calories are low just for now because I am not exercising. Once I get back to the gym, I'll be in full force and can up my calories and then be really happy! Thinking of starting tonight again. And no, no keto for me!
    86tigger wrote: »
    I'm the same height and weight as you pretty much. I'm on 40% carbs and 30% each of proteins and fats. I'm loving eating the amount of carbs im having as I do pretty intense gym workouts with weights and bootcamp classes.
    I think your calories are pretty low unless you aren't going to exercise. I'm on 2200 calories per day working out 5 days a week. I'm not sure why you would want your carbs as low as that tbh unless as another poster said you are doing the keto diet?
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    If you want a more balanced macro breakdown I was going to suggest:
    Carbohydrates 175.0g
    Protein 136.0g (Minimum)
    Fat 34.0g (Minimum)
    As long as you get your minimum fat and protein, don't worry about hitting a specific carb goal or going over your protein and fat. Some people feel better with more or less of certain foods/macros but there is a minimum you should consider for fat and protein (assuming no desire for ketosis).
    But I agree with 86tigger, your calorie goal seems aggressive unless you are eating back some exercise calories.
  • jo7777777
    jo7777777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Does this sound right? I'm 5'4 194 pounds.

I changed my goals to fit the IIFYM and I'm over in carbs already. I set my goals to 1552 calories, 5% Carbs, 50% Protein, 45% Fat, 49g Fibre.

It's okay if I have to lower my carbs, but does that number seem low?

GRAMS per day - Carbs 27 Protein 194 Fat 77.6 Fibre 39-49

Thanks for any pointers.

Looks difficult with respect to carbs. Too low, I guess. What are you planning to eat?
  • NaturallyandProperly
    Options
    What do you guys think is better? MFP or IIFYM?