Smoothies

Options
sherbear702
sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
What are some fun, fat burning/metabolism fueling/clensing/filling ingredients I can throw into a breakfast smoothie?

Replies

• tferrell22
    tferrell22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I bought a nutri-bullet to make smoothies for my family for breakfast. I use fat-free vanilla yogurt, almond milk, raw almonds, kale, and then throw in whatever fruit I bought on sale; apples, blueberries, strawberries, etc. In the winter months I use frozen berries. The kids like the frozen berries better because it makes the smoothie icy. While I like the kids to have these in the morning, I only have one occasionally as they are high in calories, but full of protein and they taste really good. Hope this helps.
  • 50sthenew30
    50sthenew30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
  • Livnyoung
    Options
    I make smoothies daily and use homemade milk kefir instead of yogurt. Lots of probiotics in it. I also add an apple, kale and spinach, and another fruit or two like blue berries, strawberries, banana, pineapple, or raspberries. I then blend it with a cup of ice. A Vitamix blender makes it quick and easy to make it every morning.
  • BeardedYoung
    BeardedYoung Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies because there are so many options, I know many people try and get their leafy greens by putting kale in their smoothie, but IMO baby spinach works much better and the taste is much more delicate (easy to cover) Last one I made was an orange, baby spinach, a piece of ginger, raspberries, blueberries and water/ice.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    my go to smoothie is kale, bananas, blueberry, pinch of cinnamon, chia seeds, almond milk and greek yogurt.
  • vfett1018
    vfett1018 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    my go to smoothie is kale, bananas, blueberry, pinch of cinnamon, chia seeds, almond milk and greek yogurt.

I'm definitely stealing your recipe!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Not sure about fat burning...

But I'm a smoothie junkie. I haven't been able to make them for a while, but after getting a new magic bullet for Christmas my sister gave me her old one. I'm at it again.

I like one banana, with 1 cup of frozen blueberries, and 1 yogurt cup (flavor of your choice). You could probably toss in a handful of greens to make a 'green smoothie', but I don't as I hate green smoothies.

Another one I like is 1 banana, 1 tablespoon of pb2 or peanut butter, a handful of strawberries, a little bit of milk, and yogurt. Comes out pretty yummy.

I tend to prefer ones with bananas. I love the banana texture. For sweetness, you can easily toss in a bit of sweetener, honey, or sugar.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys. My mom got me a Ninja blender with all kinds of fun attachements to go with it for Christmas. Including a nutri-ninja attachement for smoothies. My frist experiment SUCKED. It was supposed to be a sweet spinach smoothie. It had 2 c. spinach, 15 grapes, 2 tbsp avocado, 1 pear, 6 oz plain greek yogurt & some lime juice. I though hey, I like spinach this should be good. It was not, it tasted like lumpy vegetable yogurt. I did choke it down, but BLAH!

I'm new to this smoothie making thing. I did better this morning. Spinach, strawberries, blueberries, banana, 2% milk & greek yogurt. It was pretty delicious.

Thanks again for your input.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I experiment all the time. With varying degrees of success.

A couple favorites:
    3-4 cups coconut milk
    2-3 tbsp coconut butter
    1 cantaloupe

1 banana
    1-2 cups almond milk
    cocoa powder
    2-ish tbsp peanut butter

strawberries
    vanilla kefir

You can easily add nuts, oats, chia, flax, protein powder to pretty much anything for added boost.

If I'm using spinach, I almost always use strawberries as well. I usually only use 1 cup or so of spinach in my smoothie.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Mine are heavy on the green. Anywhere from 85-100 grams of spinach. Sometimes I throw in Sunbutter or raw oats, I always use Spirulina for the iron and b12. I make big, filling, calorie dense smoothies as a meal replacement for breakfast.
    I love smoothies, but there aren't any magical fat burning properties to them.
  • JessicaAnneB1991
    Options
    This is my favourite smoothie which I basically have every morning, and it gives me heaps of energy for the day:

6 x Strawberries
    6 x Raspberries
    150ml fat free vanilla yoghurt
    1tsp LSA
    1tsp white chia seeds
    ice cubes
    chilled water

I also add liquid iron and silica gel to my smoothies.

You can add basically any type of fruit to this. Sometimes I add kiwi fruit, watermelon, bananas etc
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies because there are so many options, I know many people try and get their leafy greens by putting kale in their smoothie, but IMO baby spinach works much better and the taste is much more delicate (easy to cover)

So true! Kale is a tough taste to cover.