Coke the Devil

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The OP is switching to diet Coke. There is caffeine in diet Coke. It is not caffeine withdrawal.

The OP dumped both Diet and "fat" Coke.

From the very first sentence....
    so my new healthy eating has started which means I am now [sic] longer drinking Diet coke or fat coke.

Ah, that makes sense... I thought it meant that the OP is now drinking diet coke aka "fat Coke" (if one believes that diet coke is for fat people).

Well then, why not drink diet Coke? It may be easier to switch to diet, then slowly decrease the amount until you are drinking none rather than just stopping.
    It isn't really harder to quit one than it is to quit the other. Both have caffeine, which makes it difficult to get off the stuff.

If it weren't for the caffeine, a LOT of people would quit coffee and pop. They're hooked. It's not the horrendous withdrawal of heroin, but it does have an effect. It's not easy to quit!

Easier to do it in one swoop, IMO.

Switching to diet would allow someone to still have caffeine, but no calories. So I figure that it is easy to quickly switch to diet to stop consuming the extra calories. Then, over time, gradually ween away from the caffeine.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    What-the-What.gif

COKE THE DEVIL???!! I'M COMPLETELY OFFENDED.

God-I-hate-you.gif

Just for calling Coke the devil.

Carry on. :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    GBO323 wrote: »
    Stopping cold turkey means your body is going into caffeine withdrawal. Either push through it or start out and lessen the intake over the course of a week. Sometimes the body doesn't like to be shocked like that, but if you've already started the withdrawal, push through it. I did!

This. It's caffeine withdrawal. If you are determined to give up diet coke (good for you! I did as well), then keep going, or have a little plain tea (not the bottled teas, which would basically be the same thing), or a little excedrin for the headache, which would have the caffeine... Good luck!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    You may have wicked headaches for the first 2-3 days, I did. Take pain relievers, drink lots of water and power through it. It's tough but you can do it. The first few days are the worst.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    But....why? This post makes me sad.

CQm5mYcm6jM0U.gif
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had my last coke on March 1, 2014.......I love Coke, I just can not justify wasting 160 of my calories on it. I do drink Diet Coke from time to time but have not noticed any of the "Carb Cravings" that are spoken of. I won't even drink a regular beer these days, has to be light beer with less than 100 calories per can.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If it weren't for the caffeine, a LOT of people would quit coffee and pop. They're hooked. It's not the horrendous withdrawal of heroin, but it does have an effect. It's not easy to quit!

If it's really just about the caffeine, switch to coffee or tea. I actually don't think it is--I think some people like having a cold flavored drink available. I quit soda for a while and drank more coffee (and water, of course, although I always drank water too), but ended up having to make iced tea to address that desire for a flavored cold drink on occasion. I switched back to that sparkling ice stuff for convenience (iced tea takes time, since you have to chill it, of course), and then decided it was ridiculous to distinguish between sparkling ice and diet coke, as both are just diet sodas (or pop, as we say here). So I started drinking diet coke again from time to time, and it hasn't hurt me.

I do drink slightly less coffee when I drink diet coke, which might be a plus for diet coke, I don't know, but I found it quite easy to sub other flavored cold beverages for diet coke and it didn't much matter if they had caffeine or not (since I always had my coffee).

My guess is that if you like diet okay it's way harder to quit both than to quit just the stuff with calories, since diet can be a perfectly adequate replacement for regular for many of us (I actually can't stand regular since I switched so long ago, it tastes way too syrupy). Now, I'm not saying it isn't worth dropping soda entirely if you want--there's no particular reason to keep drinking it and it's not even that tasty, IMO--but if I were wanting to lose weight I probably wouldn't make quitting diet soda a high priority as IME it doesn't help at all and is just something else to feel like you are doing without when you might be struggling with other dietary changes. But for some people it might be the right move. (I quit both soda and coffee from time to time just to prove I can, but so far see no reason why either in moderation is important to avoid.)

Exactly. I rarely drink coffee (I'll get one at Starbucks maybe every six months) and can't stand tea. But I love an ice cold pop, even though I don't drink so much of it anymore. I've all but cut it out completely to concentrate on my water intake. And I've been drinking diet for about seven months...had a regular Pepsi Christmas night and it tasted so off to me. But one can a day at most? That's all the caffeine I need
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet Pepsi. It really tasted awful most of the time, and yet I kept going for it. Finally and only kicked my habit with naturally flavored seltzers- Vintage is a good brand. I love the carbonation. I do drink a lot more flat water now too. Hang in there. It totally sucks weening off.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Try drinking tea so you can get some caffeine. Unfortunately the fake sugar chemicals are quite habit forming and cause awful withdrawal symptoms when you stop. Good luck.

Yes, but drink freshly brewed tea, not anything canned or bottles or pre-mixed or else you'll be getting the same sugar and chemicals as you do from Coke.

wait, there is a chemical free tea?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet Pepsi. It really tasted awful most of the time, and yet I kept going for it. Finally and only kicked my habit with naturally flavored seltzers- Vintage is a good brand. I love the carbonation. I do drink a lot more flat water now too. Hang in there. It totally sucks weening off.

no, you were not addicted to diet pepsi.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    LotusAsh wrote: »
    I thought we were talking about cocaine....

I don't know what to say to you except, "why?"
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up anything? Use moderation.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Drink tea to fight the caffeine withdraw. Drink sparkling water to give the "fizz" sensation that makes you think you're drinking soda. Naturally flavored sparkling water (lemon/lime Perrier is my favorite) gives me the feeling of drinking soda.

I was a hardcore coca cola drinker...I couldn't even finish one before I popped another one open.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    The OP is switching to diet Coke. There is caffeine in diet Coke. It is not caffeine withdrawal.

so my new healthy eating has started which means I am now [sic] longer drinking Diet coke or fat coke.

Ah, that makes sense... I thought it meant that the OP is now drinking diet coke aka "fat Coke" (if one believes that diet coke is for fat people).

Well then, why not drink diet Coke? It may be easier to switch to diet, then slowly decrease the amount until you are drinking none rather than just stopping.
    It isn't really harder to quit one than it is to quit the other. Both have caffeine, which makes it difficult to get off the stuff.

Who are these people who want to give up all of the phytochemicals and other benefits of coffee? Not me.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Try drinking tea so you can get some caffeine. Unfortunately the fake sugar chemicals are quite habit forming and cause awful withdrawal symptoms when you stop. Good luck.

Yes, but drink freshly brewed tea, not anything canned or bottles or pre-mixed or else you'll be getting the same sugar and chemicals as you do from Coke.

wait, there is a chemical free tea?
    LOL
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why are you giving up anything? Use moderation.
    Why must she drink soda? Why NOT give it up?
  • annehutson2
    Options
    I gave it up in June...Tell yourself you don't want it not that you can't have it...That worked for me. I don't miss it any more. I drink water and tea and coffee...It was the right decision for me, it added nothing to my life.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Who are these people who want to give up all of the phytochemicals and other benefits of coffee? Not me.

I'm one. Caffeine is a psychoactive drug - happier and healthier without it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jpaulie wrote: »
    healthy eating should limit your processed sugar intake to 25g per day. A single coke has over 40g. Diet pop is almost as bad because it tricks your brain into thinking it is getting sugar. When it realizes it is not getting any then it will crave it and you will probably wind up eating more sugar later. That's why a lot of overweight people who drink diet drinks with artificial sweeteners do not lose weight.

LOL 25 grams a day of sugar? Says who ...

so are you saying if I eat 26 grams of sugar I will gain weight..?
    Didn't you know for every gram of sugar, and for every sip of diet soda, you will gain .98764321 pounds? It all adds up, ya know. :D>:)

• Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm one. Caffeine is a psychoactive drug - happier and healthier without it.

The sad thing is, I think you're serious....

ETA: For most people, the benefits would outweigh any risks.