Low Carb Weight Loss Questions

Options
lexie1108
lexie1108 Posts: 18 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! I started my weight loss journey at 135 pounds (an all time high on my 5'2 frame) and have lost 19 so far (116 lbs) with a goal to reach 110 lbs. So I only have 6 pounds to go! I have been on a low carb diet since late August/ early September and it's been a steady weight loss plus I've had many cheat days. My question is, once I reach my goal of 110 lbs, is there a way I can slowly incorporate carbs back into my diet without gaining a ton of it back? I've always been small and eaten healthy most of my life but got unhealthy for a few years in college (lots of processed foods, In n out, and sodium) and that's what made me gain the 25 pounds. I ate healthy in general before the low carb diet (no fast food, lots of water, no prepackaged foods, lean meats, lots veggies and fruits, green smoothies.) I just want to be able to incorporate things like my Daves Bread with some peanut butter, my green smoothies which have quite a few carbs because of the fruits, and not have to obsess over my carb count. Oh, I've been eating about 40-50 carbs a day. I got married in November and surprisingly after spending 2 weeks in Maui eating and drinking whatever I wanted only gained 2.5 pounds! Lol. Do you think this is possible? Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    There will be some small gain when more carbs are reintroduced but it is fluid retention weight not fat.

Otherwise you should be fine as long as you are eating to maintenance.

Best way to lose weight is the way you mean to maintain for the long term, if you don't intend to do low carb for the long term, which to a more sustainable method that you intend to follow long term...could be calorie counting, portion control and exercise, anything that works for you longterm.
  • Nurse89Nicole
    Nurse89Nicole Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Atkins has a plan for reintroducing Carbs to your diet.. I would recommend checking out their "pyramid" for how that works.
  • gruvkitty
    gruvkitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been doing "low carb" but have kept my green smoothie in the morning. I add a dollop of coconut oil into it. I think you just need to watch and see how it goes, and monitor the carbs the rest of the day if you take more in your smoothie. I found the coconut oil helped me to use a little less fruit in the smoothie but it still tastes good. At least if you do gain, you'll know what's doing it and can adjust accordingly. Also, I find if I keep the proportion of carb/fat/protein so that the carbs are much lower than the other two, I tend to be okay. Good luck!