What is your motivation???

Options
I have been struggling with motivation for the last two or so months. I kept saying it was due to the holidays, parties, events, etc...but I think deep down I was struggling with how my body was starting to look with less fat in it. I fear I may have been self-sabatoging a bit as well. I caught myself reverting to old habits of making sure I was out of sight in the kitchen so that I could eat more. I have been buying a little more junk food and chocolate and giving myself far too many cheat days. Have you done this??

I feel like there are so many reasons for this. One of them being having your confidence suffer from the guilt over those aforementioned habits I had been reverting back to. Another lack of support from my immediate family. My parents are great supporters but they live two counties away. My husband is overweight but doe not care to do anything about it. My children are overweight and they also don't care to do anything about it. They all eat whatever they want and do not care anything about eating healthy. What is a girl to do? I have tried to find friends who are motivated and sadly noone stays with me. My very best friend moved away and since then I have not been able to find a friend with whom I can share this journey.

Most people tell me; "Well you are doing it for you right?" I say yes of course. But let's face it. Its just not fun to do physical activities by yourself. So this is what I am asking all of you....What motivates you??? When I first started my motivation was getting off all meds and I did that. Now I am struggling.....please help yall.

Replies

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    you must find out why you are overweight in the first place (and its not because you love cake so much). motivation is fleeting, forget about motivation. find out the real reasons why you eat. you already pointed to some reasons already, guilt, loneliness, maybe some shame. work on those areas, do some self reflection. how can you make yourself feel better.

diet and exercise will be a natural by product of you doing the work on yourself.

with that said an anchor that brings me back not to motivation but to "Taking care of myself" is my daughter. what would i want my daughter to do? to eat? etc
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What motivated me is knowing that I am in full control of my future. I choose to be whatever weight I want to be. I stopped blaming laziness or lack of motivation. Whatever I do in life directly changes my weight. If I eat a surplus of calories without mitigating with exercise, I am choosing not to lose weight that week. Sometimes, I make that choice. I never feel guilt about my choices. I chose them; why would I make myself feel bad about what I already decided to do?

As for your family not working with you, find an exercise that you enjoy doing or a group to exercise with to keep yourself going. Zumba is pretty popular nationwide if you like group aerobics. There are also great solo exercises, like swimming, that your kids might come do near you (if not with you).

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    LOl thanks for that! We have all signed up for planet fitness so maybe this will help!