Weighing vs Measurements

Options
What have you found to be more beneficial, weighing yourself or taking measurements?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Measurements, for sure. I went six months with the scale going up and down the same few pounds, but dropped a full size during that time because I was losing inches.

The scale messes with your head, the tape doesn't. :smile:
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Same here without my measurements I would have been so discouraged thinking it wasn't working. I lost 6 inches on my waist while barely losing any pounds
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Weighing because the scale provides instant gratification
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    measuring for sure.... scale was messing with my head and found myself slipping up whenever I would think I lost weight but the scale said I gained.... so shoved it under my bed on July 1, 2013.... have gone by measurements and the way my clothes fit instead... not sure what I lost, but started out at a tight size 18 (down from an all time high of 26/28) and wear a size 4 now. Will be going to the doctor for a regular checkup on Jan 9... will be first time I look at the scale in 18 months and am really nervous about that...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Do both. When you plateau and get really made at the scale, the measurements will still show progress...and vice versa.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Use them both in conjunction with eachother. Particularly weight and waist measure for a good overall picture of health.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lw0nsryHtr1r161fr.gif

Been doing both for 3 years and the data is worth it.
  • meanmutha
    meanmutha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to measure myself. I'm droopy so everytime I measure it is different. For right now, the scale is decreasing and my clothes fitting and the way I feel is my success.
  • lexilu823
    Options
    I have an addiction to weighing myself - doesn't matter if the numbers are going up or down. I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks and I feel really good about it, even though I know I've gained some weight over the holidays. I find the tape measure is a more positive, reassuring feeling than the scale at the end of the day though.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself to know when to lower my caloric intake needs to get a reasonable weight loss rate. I don't measure myself because I'm lazy. I mostly focus on how my clothes feel and how I look.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I prefer the scale, because there is less room for error. If I measure, I can tighten it a little to get the figure I want, but if I stand on the scale, it will give me an accurate measure of how much weight is pushing down on it.