Best Activity/Sleep Tracker?

Options
Looking at getting a tracker any suggestions which is best?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have both a Fitbit Flex and a Jawbone UP24. They each show your TDEE—way more accurately than any online calculator. And they sync with MFP.

Read more about Fitbits at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit
  • skeltonblues
    skeltonblues Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So which do you like best us do you like the fitbit for the wrist or the fitbit zip clip?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Mine are both bands. I only take them off to charge. Fitbit makes other models that clip to your bra or slip in a pocket. That's great for people who can't wear bands at work, but I just know I'd forget to wear it or—worse!—put it in the washing machine.

It's entitrely personal preference.
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge (was my Christmas present) and used to have the zip. I am returning the charge and getting the One. It is registering steps as I sit here and type even. My other issue is I will not be able to wear it 24/7 as I am a nursing student and cannot wear it all the time on my wrist versus the One I will be able to clip it somewhere that it cannot be seen. Also I never had a problem with the zip adding steps when I am sitting.
  • If you're looking at the bands, I would lean more towards a fitbit. I have the Jawbone UP 24 and the band annoys me. It doesn't clasp which for me is annoying to have the two ends bumping into things. I like it a lot other than that. I used to have one of the original fitbits and it was great. I just got the UP24 at a price that was insane to pass up. Otherwise I would have gotten another fitbit :smile:
  • skeltonblues
    Options
    Oh wow picks up as you sit and type that's not good so what's the diff btw the one and the charge?

• Also look at the Garmin Vivosmart, I've heard a lot of great things about it too.

This may help you compare the fitbits
    http://www.fitbit.com/compare
  • skeltonblues
    Options
    Awesome thanks a bunch!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Oh wow picks up as you sit and type that's not good so what's the diff btw the one and the charge?

The Fitbit One clips to your bra or slips in a pocket. The brand-new Charge is a watch.

The proof of accuracy is your results. I have a Fitbit Flex, which is worn on the wrist. I lost the weight & have kept it off for six months—thanks to MFP + Fitbit.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • sagy1cor
    sagy1cor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am wondering what the difference is between the fitbit and a heart rate monitor. On an impulse buy I got the fitbit charge, but now I am rethinking this. I already have a polar heart rate monitor that I wear during my workouts and it is fantastic. However, I am looking for something to help me monitor calories burned during the day....any input would be appreciated.
  • Itisibigj39
    Itisibigj39 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone six then that records your steps...I also recommend an app called MotionX
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I have a fitbit flex, I don't use it anymore. remember that they are actiity trackers so you shouldn't count the calories burned for your regular day to day stuff. Your body is already acsutome to you walking to work everyday... to you doing the laundry .. making dinner... etc etc.

This is all my opinion but I've seen multiple people go on about eating back the calories and gaining weight
  • sagy1cor
    sagy1cor Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I have a fitbit flex, I don't use it anymore. remember that they are actiity trackers so you shouldn't count the calories burned for your regular day to day stuff. Your body is already acsutome to you walking to work everyday... to you doing the laundry .. making dinner... etc etc.

This is all my opinion but I've seen multiple people go on about eating back the calories and gaining weight

This is very true. I never thought of it that way.

To answer your question skeltonblues I would go with a heart rate monitor (the kind that straps to your chest is the best way, in my opinion) to get an accurate measure of your workout. I have the PolarH7. It synced well with my iphone (I had an Iphone 4S) but I recently switched to the galaxy s4. The app didn't work that well, so I had to download another heart rate monitor app. It syncs fine with that one now.

Thanks Tedebearduff, I think I will be taking back this fitbit tomorrow! :smiley:
  • skeltonblues
    Options
    sagy1cor wrote: »
    I am wondering what the difference is between the fitbit and a heart rate monitor. On an impulse buy I got the fitbit charge, but now I am rethinking this. I already have a polar heart rate monitor that I wear during my workouts and it is fantastic. However, I am looking for something to help me monitor calories burned during the day....any input would be appreciated.

I heard the same thing too about just getting a heart rate monitor but u didn't know the polar ones didn't track your calories too bummer.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    sagy1cor wrote: »
    I am wondering what the difference is between the fitbit and a heart rate monitor. On an impulse buy I got the fitbit charge, but now I am rethinking this. I already have a polar heart rate monitor that I wear during my workouts and it is fantastic. However, I am looking for something to help me monitor calories burned during the day.

Activity trackers like Fitbit or Jawbone UP calculate your TDEE, aka your maintenance calories. HRMs are only for sustained cardio (like running). Two entirely different things, but you can use them together. Whenever possible, I would connect the HRM to Fitbit rather than to MFP.

Your MFP calorie goal is your activity level minus your deficit. When you connect an activity tracker, MFP uses your burn rather than your activity level to calculate your daily calorie goal. If you eat back your adjustments, you're eating TDEE minus your deficit.

Learn more at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit
    MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • clwnascargirl
    Options
    I got a Vivofit for Christmas and I really like it. I actually learned about this site from my Vivofit tracker page. Apparently, I am supposed to be able to upload my food intake from here to my Vivofit page. I'm not sure exactly how it works because this is my first time trying it. I do like my tracker. I like the fact that I don't have to charge it or change the battery for at least a year. I haven't noticed it counting steps while I type either and I have an office job. It's comfortable and it monitors sleep also.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I got a Vivofit for Christmas and I really like it. I actually learned about this site from my Vivofit tracker page. Apparently, I am supposed to be able to upload my food intake from here to my Vivofit page. I'm not sure exactly how it works because this is my first time trying it.

I don't see Vivofit in the MFP apps gallery (the "Apps" tab at the top of the page): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

What is best largely depends on what you do and what data you want to know about yourself. If you walk, the step based counters may work for you. If you cycle, a GPS and HRM is probably a better fit.

None of them actually counts your calories burned ... they all estimate using a combination of information you provide compared to what ever they count (steps, heart beats, GPS calculated speed/distance, etc) that is plugged into a formula.

• _Tzefira_
    _Tzefira_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I got a Vivofit for Christmas and I really like it. I actually learned about this site from my Vivofit tracker page. Apparently, I am supposed to be able to upload my food intake from here to my Vivofit page. I'm not sure exactly how it works because this is my first time trying it.

I don't see Vivofit in the MFP apps gallery (the "Apps" tab at the top of the page): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps

It's the Garmin Connect one.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit Charge....just upgraded from the Flex. It seems a lot more accurate. I had the Fitbit One a few years ago until I lost it.