Back Problems from Spinning? Anyone?

Options
I started spinning about a month and a half ago. I loved it because it's only 45 mins :) and i burn a ton of calories compared to my Interval workouts where the burn was slowing down. It was so good that I found myself doing 5-6 classes a week.
Then over the thanksgiving holiday, I was playing a board game but seated in an awkward position - and suddenly I could hardly get up. My lower back was so stiff like I had pulled a muscle there.
I have only taken 1 class since after resting it and taking it easy. But it still kinda hurts and I'm tentative to jump back into the routine.
Just wondered if anyone had experienced back issues from spinning and could shed some light on this. And specifically how long it really takes to heal/ any exercises to do in the interim etc..
thanks in advance!

Replies

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Didn't experience back problems, mine came from my feet. Still have not fully recovered. My Achilles on both feet got so painful I hate to quit spin class after two months. Plus it aggravated my left knee badly. I enjoyed it but had to stop when the pain would not go away.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    new, overdoing it. Plus you could easily be in a non-neutral body position. Yeah.

Makes sense. Rest. Make sure your back is being held right and you move around a bit during the class.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the doctor, tbh. The unable to move/lingering pain could be an injury. Definitely take it easy with exercise other that walking and gentle stretching until you can get an ok from a doctor.

I've had lower back problems in the past and biking definitely aggravates my back.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    My spin instructors have said that low back pain is usually due to the saddle positioned too far back. Has your spin instructor made sure you are positioned properly?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I started spinning about a month and a half ago. I loved it because it's only 45 mins :) and i burn a ton of calories compared to my Interval workouts where the burn was slowing down. It was so good that I found myself doing 5-6 classes a week.
    Then over the thanksgiving holiday, I was playing a board game but seated in an awkward position - and suddenly I could hardly get up. My lower back was so stiff like I had pulled a muscle there.
    I have only taken 1 class since after resting it and taking it easy. But it still kinda hurts and I'm tentative to jump back into the routine.
    Just wondered if anyone had experienced back issues from spinning and could shed some light on this. And specifically how long it really takes to heal/ any exercises to do in the interim etc..
    thanks in advance!

Quite common from bike riding.

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/how-to-avoid-lower-back-pain-while-cycling

http://breakingmuscle.com/cycling/how-to-reduce-lower-back-pain-from-cycling
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    I had had back issues in the past so I make certain the handle bars are higher (I'm tall anyway but it still makes my instructor nuts) and I fully engage my core the whole time. I also move a lot even if the instructor isn't. If they park us in position 3 for any length of time I have to change things up.

If it's just achy, try foam rolling and doing some light yoga. If it's actual pain, then maybe a doctor is in order.
  • wendy16256
    wendy16256 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    cardbucfan wrote: »
    I had had back issues in the past so I make certain the handle bars are higher (I'm tall anyway but it still makes my instructor nuts) and I fully engage my core the whole time. I also move a lot even if the instructor isn't. If they park us in position 3 for any length of time I have to change things up.

If it's just achy, try foam rolling and doing some light yoga. If it's actual pain, then maybe a doctor is in order.

That's what I was going to say was the handle bars maybe too low.