More Problems Losing

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »
    You only logged under 800 calories that day. If this is accurate, this is unhealthy and there is no way you are getting the appropriate nutrients for someone of your size.

It's obviously not accurate, or the OP would be shedding pounds.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    There's sauce on the rice and oil on the chicken, neither of which are in your diary.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    You only logged under 800 calories that day. If this is accurate, this is unhealthy and there is no way you are getting the appropriate nutrients for someone of your size.

I understand this - my point is he is maintaining that he is accurately logging everything, but both can't be true.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

I understand this - my point is he is maintaining that he is accurately logging everything, but both can't be true.

That's more vague than it needs to be. We know with certainty that the logging is broken, so there is no need to even think about worrying about nutrient levels implied by a (non-existent) 800 calorie diet.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm going with check back with doctor. Very good chance you have hypothyroidism, and that can cause maintenance at too few calories or actual weight gain. One of the main symptoms.

I was also at the "low end of acceptable", but doctor did the full panel and confirmed diagnosis. Since I've been on the proper amount of medication, I went back to being able to lose weight.

I appreciate everyone's suggestion about food scales, but I used measuring cups and such had no problem losing weight once my thyroid levels got back to normal. I believe the OP is watching his diet sufficiently, especially since he experiences the dizziness, etc, if he drops lower.

OP, I'd stay at the 1500 for now and "maintain" your weight until you get further testing.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    There's sauce on the rice and oil on the chicken, neither of which are in your diary.
    Try weighing out all your food. It makes a huge difference.

OP, you're eating varied wildly--800, 850, 1500, 2050, 1350, not logged, not logged, and 1800. Two previous posters pointed out logging errors. Anything's possible, but overeating seems more likely than a medical issue. You want to lose quickly. Find a stable amount that still feeds your muscles and brain enough--say 1600 or 1800--and try it for a couple weeks.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    I'm going with check back with doctor. Very good chance you have hypothyroidism, and that can cause maintenance at too few calories or actual weight gain. One of the main symptoms.

I was also at the "low end of acceptable", but doctor did the full panel and confirmed diagnosis. Since I've been on the proper amount of medication, I went back to being able to lose weight.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels entered the "normal" range, and I did it just like everybody else—by learning to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

OP, please see a doctor.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options

That's more vague than it needs to be. We know with certainty that the logging is broken, so there is no need to even think about worrying about nutrient levels implied by a (non-existent) 800 calorie diet.

Fair enough!
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I appreciate everyone's suggestion about food scales, but I used measuring cups and such had no problem losing weight once my thyroid levels got back to normal. I believe the OP is watching his diet sufficiently, especially since he experiences the dizziness, etc, if he drops lower.

OP, I'd stay at the 1500 for now and "maintain" your weight until you get further testing.

Don't people with hypothyroidism usually have high TSH levels (and low T4) unless the hypothyroidism is caused by pituitary failure (which would probably cause severe symptoms)?

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As I have told you every single time you make a thread about this, start logging properly. Weigh everything (you aren't), eat to your goal every day (you aren't), monitor for a few months to see how your calorie goals should be changed (assuming you haven't), if you are using MFP's settings for eating without including exercise into your energy expenditure then log and eat back 50-100% of the exercise calories (which you do not appear to be doing either).

ETA the whole "log properly" has been given to you as advice for mooooonths. Seems to be the only piece of advice you completely ignore entirely 100%.

ALSO another ETA. You posted an example of a meal. This is not weighed, and if it is logged even close to the proper weight then you probably aren't always logging the correct entry (i.e. estimating based on cooked instead of raw when you are using the raw entry would be an example). You have also had plenty of non-logged days in which you easily could have been eating calorie dense foods, and you have regularly had days in red. So overall your total intake is higher than you think it is, and your energy expenditure is lower than you think.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

The biggest difference is you were also probably being more accurate in your logging than is OP. Who has had maaany people give him the same advice and he just ignores it. Cleaning up the logging is the first and easiest step to determining if caloric goals are too high/low.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    bokaba wrote: »

Don't people with hypothyroidism usually have high TSH levels (and low T4) unless the hypothyroidism is caused by pituitary failure (which would probably cause severe symptoms)?

TSH is fairly useless when diagnosing hypothyroidism.

You need to have your free T3 and T4, as well as thyroid antibodies (thyroid peroxidase, thyroglobulin, and thyroid stimulating hormone receptor antibody, thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin), tested.
  • bokaba
    Options
    Well, here is everything I ate today. I moved the carrots to dinner because I didn't get to them earlier. Plus there will be another bowl of cereal tonight. I think my log is a pretty darned good representation of this. I can post pictures of the scale display with the food on it if necessary.

5r9xp7shl7ie.jpg
    npa3ohxdxzmx.jpg
    l2t7dcjy9ebs.jpg
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Did you measure yourself and not lose any inches either? I only lost 2 pounds last month but lost 5 inches from my waist and 3 from each thigh etc... Scales arnt always a good indicator of how your doing
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food and log it. Choose correct entries. Log everything. Do not use cups

I checked your diary ...you aren't logging properly ergo you are probably overeating
  • bokaba
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am at a loss here...how is what I have presented above even remotely near maintenance or overeating?
  • CA_Underdog
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am at a loss here...how is what I have presented above even remotely near maintenance or overeating?

To recap--
    OP, you're eating varied wildly--800, 850, 1500, 2050, 1350, not logged, not logged, and 1800. Two previous posters pointed out logging errors (not logging oils and sauces, not using a scale). Anything's possible, but overeating seems more likely than a medical issue. You want to lose quickly. Find a stable amount that still feeds your muscles and brain enough--say 1600 or 1800--and try it for a couple weeks.
  • bokaba
    Options
    That sneaky, sneaky soy sauce.
  • CA_Underdog
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That sneaky, sneaky soy sauce.
    Those sneaky days you ate more or didn't log at all, combined with not logging sauces or oils, combined with possibly not weighing. Accurate logging's a good starting point.

(It also gives you something concrete to show your doctor!)