Holiday Disaster

I feel like I am the only one who uses the "holiday" as an excuse to overeat. I'm really struggling with everything in the house...chocolate all the extra food, alcohol...ect. lying around, and I seem to justify taking it all by deciding I will start my "way of life" after the "holiday". I'm so up and down, take the nasty ten off, and bang with a good excuse put it all back on and then some. Then theres all of you with the good advice, oh just have it in moderation..I know all of that.. why cant I do it? I've lost a lot of weight but have a bundle more to lose.
Is there anyone that can help? I know what I need to do, just cant seem to do it, and stick with it.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If moderation is impossible for you, get rid of all the treats. And start back to working on your goals tomorrow now that everything's over.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    If you live with others and can't just get rid of the treats in the house, at least put them out of sight. The sooner the better. I can tell from your post how miserable and frustrated you are, and that can all be over if you just knock off the sweets for a while, until you regain your footing, or forever - your choice! Moderation is harder for some than others, and even nearly impossible for some (like me!)

As much as I like desserts, I find life is easier without them. If I incorporate a sweet into my diet, I think about sweets all the time. If I cave and have more sweets than I planned, then I feel guilty and weak and bewildered by my lack of self-control. All those negative emotions and turmoil every day - who needs that?

I'm certainly not telling you, or anyone else what to do. I'm just sharing my experience, because going dessert free has been a surprising blessing in my life. I'm more confident and consistent with my weight loss, and I have more energy and a more positive outlook.

Good luck to you! You've done this before and you can do it again now! The sooner you start, the happier you'll be.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Stop!

Youre thinking about it too much. Giving it too much space in your head is the quickest way to give it too much space in your tummy.

Consume your brain with other things, positive things, things that arent about what you cant have or do. replace this absorption with food with a healthy obsession for progress!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    There was a quote in our local newspaper the other day that seems appropriate for many of these holiday-related threads. It said, "People worry about what they eat between Christmas and New Years, but the they should worry about what they eat between New Years and Christmas." Very true.
  • Hey thanks you guys..It helps to read the positive..I appreciate it
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Keep on tracking, lots of lessons to learn here and it will just be a blip on your journey :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    By the way, I am struggling with the snack foods again for the first time in several month, but I track it and keep going.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    I found this happening all around me. I gave myself xmas eve to indulge, which is when my family celebrates. Afterwards..yes I slipped because there was treats at work, at my own house. The trick is to dispose of them as quickly as possible. Luckily, the coworker i was with agreed to hide the treats. At home...if someone else wants them - I move the treats into another bedroom where I rarely go.
  • MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    There was a quote in our local newspaper the other day that seems appropriate for many of these holiday-related threads. It said, "People worry about what they eat between Christmas and New Years, but the they should worry about what they eat between New Years and Christmas." Very true.

That right there. There are 52 weeks in a year. 365 days. From Christmas Eve through New Year's Day is 9 days. Every year, I give myself those 9 days off, plus my birthday, my wedding anniversary, Thanksgiving Day, Easter, and Halloween. 14 total days, and the other 50 weeks, I log meticulously. Having a healthy relationship with food requires being able to say "Okay, it is a special occasion, I am going to enjoy without guilt," and then go back to eating well and exercising when the special occasion is over.

I have 2 days left, and my whole family knows that the holiday goodies must be consumed by bedtime on Thursday, or they get donated to the church!