black beans recipe

Options
floridamatty
floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
All ive tried seem to be bland no matter what spices i put in it...cubans my favorite...whats your best recipe

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy these black bean burgers. Now and then I make up a batch and stick them in the freezer to use later.

Ingredients
    • 4 cups cooked/boiled black beans (or 2 cans), drained, cooled and mashed – reserve 1 cup of cooking water or bean juice from cans. Note: For an interesting twist, substitute half (or 1 can) of the black beans with 1 large, oven roasted and peeled sweet potato, cooled and mashed.
    • 1/2 cup of vegetable broth
    • 1 egg white
    • 1 1/2 cup of quick cooking oats, slightly ground in food processor
    • 1/2 red or yellow onion, roughly chopped
    • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
    • 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
    • 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
    • 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
    • 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
    • 1 small can (or 1/2 cup) sweet corn, drained
    • 2 tsp. Cumin
    • 1 tsp. Chili Powder
    • 1 tsp. Paprika (or Chipotle Powder)
    • 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper, optional (add more if you like it really spicy)
    • Salt and black pepper, to taste
    • Dash of Maggi Seasoning

Directions

Put onion, garlic cloves, celery, carrot, bell pepper and cilantro (tear off leafy tops from the stems) in a food processor and process until finely chopped.

In a large mixing bowl, mix mashed black beans (and sweet potato if using), egg white, processed veggies and spices until well combined. Stir in the oats, corn and seasoning.

Add vegetable broth and check consistency. You want mixture about the texture of ground beef, so it should be thick. If mixture is too thick, add a little of the black bean water/juice at a time until the consistency is thick but still soft enough to form into patties; if it gets too thin you can sprinkle in more oats.

Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for about 20 min to rest and set up. Divide and roll into about 8 balls about the size of a baseball and form into patties about 1/2 inch thick. (If the patties seem too soft, they can be formed, separated with parchment paper into stacks of two or three and put in the freezer to chill before cooking.).

Fry them with a little olive oil until almost brown on each side; make sure they are cooked before trying to flip.

Patties can be formed, separated with parchment paper and wrapped in plastic or in a large ziplock bag and frozen for later use.