Yes, it's said to avoid a curse word.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    882ed8c7cd2891ba49da479782ea4be1.png
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    OK Buckshot you got me.....Stink-eye WTH is that?
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Sounds naughty I. Itself that word lol
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Yea what's stink eye?
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You are stared at openly, usually with a look of anger or disgust.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Basically it's called 'stink' eye because they look at you like you smell bad. :D
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thank you for clearing that up. I had visions of being poked in the eye with a stinky stick :)
  • Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    Options
    I love the differences between the way everyone talks. I am often asking my UK friends, "what does this mean?" Love to learn new things.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's said to avoid a curse word.

I had a very dear friend(I say "had" because she died in 1986) who, when she was trying to avoid swearing, would yell "dirty words and obscene phrases!". I would crack up everytime she said it. You know, it leaves it up to the listener to fill in the blanks!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Spnneil06 wrote: »
    I love the differences between the way everyone talks. I am often asking my UK friends, "what does this mean?" Love to learn new things.

So true, I am sure every language has its own slang... even sign language, which is something I would love to learn.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    Options
    The United States East coast has so many different slang words and accents, it's easy to tell where people are from. in Maine, you're a Goober (goofy idiot) with Bumpah Stickah (Bumper sticker) Boston has it's own accent and other words you won't hear elsewhere. New Yorkers are easy to tell they're from there or North Jersey. South Jersey and Philly are similar. Yo, what are yous guys doin? Maryland's eastern shore and Chesapeake bay are unique too. If you want a bushel of crabs, you have to say oone booshell. Virginia down through the Carolina's and Georgia are all Southern accents and slang words, such a the term Stink eye.

People say goober here in California.

And while some say dang, I think we are too lax out here. Most people here use S### and F&&& very liberally. :/
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Dang is almost akin to damn, except people say dang to avoid saying damn. It's like someone saying "crap" instead of "s***t"- they mean the same thing except one is a more family-friendly word. Crap used to be a swear word when some years ago though, lol. Or at least teachers treated it as such.

Whichever words you choose, remember you're not above anyone if you choose to use them or not :smiley:. Except for phobic and ___ist words. That is different.
  • Vincisomethng
    Vincisomethng Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    shellma00 wrote: »
    Spnneil06 wrote: »

So true, I am sure every language has its own slang... even sign language, which is something I would love to learn.

I'm interested in learning sign, too.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Dang is past tense of dong
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is so cute

Make yourself a dang quesadilla
  • Noogynoogs