Pots

Options
Hi, I have pots (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) it is an autonomic nervous system dysfunction and struggle with cardio exercise, does anyone else have this or any tips on what I can do to still burn fat without exacerbating symptoms!?
At the moment I'm just getting over a disc prolapse and surgical treatment to help resolve it but this is improving by the day and is only going to have minimum affect on exercise when corrected!
I feel like I'm going on but really want to get burning those calories!

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Those are some pretty serious barriers to conventional exercise. Have you asked your doctor for a referral to some sort of exercise therapist? I'm sure we do have some qualified people on this site, but I'd be more afraid that we have too many armed with nothing more than the confidence of Google.

You could talk to your doctor also about cardio exercises that are modified so that you are lying prone. Remember the old bicycle move?
  • rh5988
    rh5988 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just saw your post (I realize it's a few months old at this point)- hopefully you found something that works for you! I have POTS too. Before I got sick, I was very active and I would exercise every day and usually do the elliptical. I can't do it for more than 5 minutes now. The best workout for me is spinning. If you have classes at your gym or can afford going to a private spinning studio, it's definitely been my secret weapon. I never feel faint or lightheaded when I'm spinning. Since it's sitting down with short bursts of standing on the bike, it's good for training your heart to pump blood away from your legs. Some days I feel really lightheaded before spin class and think about not going, but once I'm there I generally feel totally normal again. Doing cardio almost every day has significantly improved my daily functioning. I also do seated weight training once a week with a trainer to keep muscle tone up.

If you have any other POTS related questions feel free to reach out! I know it can be really challenging to find people who understand what you're going through.