Need some positives vibes

Options
Well today I am completely deflated. My first Monthly weigh in was today and after my first 4 weeks of exercising, lifting and logging food for 30 days straight I lost ONE POUND. I measured also and there were very small changes in my thigh, hips and band size. So after a quality mope today I am going to tread on, do better, work harder. One plus: I lost a pound over Christmas and that is more than a lot of people can say. If you have any encouragment or kind words or advice to pass my way I could use it today.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    encouragement?

ask yourself - How badly do I want this? Enough to work on it for a month or enough to dedicate the rest of my life?
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I know when I first started working out I gained weight and then started dropping about 2 lbs a month. I have been at this for 7 years and have kept off 30 pds and have 10 more to go. Hang in there it is a long term life style change to keep it off. I know it is totally frustrating when the numbers do not move fast but slow and steady usually sticks in the long term. KEEP KICKING BUTT =)
  • cranden
    cranden Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    1 pound a month, so in 50 months I'll get to goal. It daunting. Whatever it takes. Nobody's quitting here. I guess I just wanted to hear from some others that they got off to a slow start and even though it sucks its normal and it works.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. Maybe you are eating too many exercise calories back and therefore not losing at the rate you want.

Also, if you only weigh once a month and you happen to weigh on a day following some high sodium days, especially from restaurant foods, you may not see your true loss.

I didn't weigh myself for years because I knew it was horribly high and just didn't want to deal. When I finally decided to change myself I bought a scale. It still took me almost a month to step on it. When I did step on it I decided I was going to be one of those people who weighed myself every day. So I do. I see the downs and the ups. Of course when the scale goes down I consider it a loss but when it goes up I consider it "fluctuation". :smiley:

My body is very prone to retaining water from sodium. I wasn't aware of this until I started logging all my foods and weighing daily. It makes me sad, but thems the facts.

Just some of my thoughts...

55835802.png
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    10689460_526451700803373_8393613726305211775_n.jpg?oh=deb4634b1c227492d23be182478d8d78&oe=5535117B
  • cranden
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    I looked at your food diary. Maybe you are eating too many exercise calories back and therefore not losing at the rate you want.

Also, if you only weigh once a month and you happen to weigh on a day following some high sodium days, especially from restaurant foods, you may not see your true loss.

I didn't weigh myself for years because I knew it was horribly high and just didn't want to deal. When I finally decided to change myself I bought a scale. It still took me almost a month to step on it. When I did step on it I decided I was going to be one of those people who weighed myself every day. So I do. I see the downs and the ups. Of course when the scale goes down I consider it a loss but when it goes up I consider it "fluctuation". :smiley:

My body is very prone to retaining water from sodium. I wasn't aware of this until I started logging all my foods and weighing daily. It makes me sad, but thems the facts.

Just some of my thoughts...

55835802.png

I was thinking that too....I need to bank more of those exerciser calories!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I think you have a lot to be proud of. A month long streak of really sticking to what you set out to do is not something everyone can say (myself included). You've got the hard part down--you've created a habit. Whatever small adjustments you might need to make will be easier to do well now that you've got the habit formed.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    You are one month in, change takes time to settle in. You are doing well to have got this far especially at this time of year. Keep going, counting and measuring, you will learn how much of the exercise calories you need to eat back. You will also find times when weight will not move which is why some recommend taking your measurements regularly, monthly as a second guide. You may be doing this, a small decrease at one point will actually relate all over, even feet shrink in time and depending on the total being lost.

Do remember to take an exercise break, the recommendation is to have two days off a week, your body is less likely to take this new activity as normal this way.

Keep up the good work.
  • cranden
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the feedback. This is a marathon not a sprint. Did I mention I gave up pop? 30 days! I'm really proud of that.
  • jeannine71
    jeannine71 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I've been in that spot...working so hard and seeing nothing in return. I can tell you from experience that it will come off, and you will be so happy that you stuck with it. I think you've motivated me to work out again!! haha
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My wife didn't see too much progress in the first 6 weeks , weight-loss-wise. However, after that the pounds started dropping off.

Stay diligent.
  • cranden
    Options
    Something is different this time. I really feel like I can keep it up. Reading this really helped me stay positive about starting January!