Sticking to your Sugars Goal ?

Options
How are you supposed to keep your sugars down when you eat fruit? Ive had grapes and an apple today and im nearly all out of sugars :frown:

Replies

• kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm over on sugar 100% of the time because of my high fruit consumption. i don't even track it anymore. as long as its coming from natural, whole fruit sources and not juices/candy/baked good then i would not be overly concerned about it. taking a multivitamin may help regulate blood sugar.
  • shuggapuss
    shuggapuss Posts: 1
    Options
    Exactly! That aspect is driving me crazy!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sugar from whole fruits most people will say don't worry about it. Fruit contains more then just sugar like fiber, vitamins, minerals, and even antioxidants which are good for you the good outweighs the bad with fruit, also fruit is not very calorie dense so you will feel full from fewer calories. If you are getting sugar from table sugar, processed foods, corn syrup then you might want to look and see if you can reduce that consumption since those sugars are pretty much empty calories.
  • frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am always over on sugars as well. I get my sugars from fruit and other healthy foods and very little from processed foods, so I don't pay it much attention. If it is from processed foods, I think you might want to keep an eye on it but if it's from fruits and dairy, I'm not that overly concerned (especially if you are also eating veggies and not just fruit!).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic, prediabetic, hypoglycemic, or on some spiffy new "all pastries and ice cream" diet, sugar is just a carb. Tracking it separately does nothing but inform and - in many cases - confuse folks who think "sugar bad!"

Just change your settings so that sugar's not showing as tracked separately, stay within your carb goals, and keep up the good work.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The answer is to stop tracking sugar. It's totally meaningless.

Protein, fiber, and fat are minimums. Carbs are basically inconsequential. Sugar is not worth tracking unless you have an actual medical condition. Same with sodium.
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else. I eat a couple of fruits a day (you are suppose to eat at least 3 a day anyway) and it ALWAYS drives my sugars up. I used to go nuts about it until I seen that it was the fruit that was doing it. Also I am not so sure that the amout of sugar this site "allows" is correct--it shouldn't be adding simple sugar (cane sugar) and fructose together--they work in the body completely different eventhough they are both sugars....I say quit monitoring it IF you know that it is coming from healthy fruits and not unhealthy sweets :happy:
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the sugar limited, but the mfp goal is pretty unrealistic if you eat 1 or 2 types of fruit every day. Just keep it as low as possible and don't count the sugars coming from natural products.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a medical reason to watch your sugars I would just remove it from what you track. I don't pay attention to sugar as I'm always over by the middle of my breakfast due to fruit. As long as the sugar you are consuming is coming from fruit I wouldn't worry.