New workout weight GAIN

Options
:\

This happens to me every single time I start to work out. I gain weight!! I know it's because your muscles retain a little extra water to help them heal and I know it's supposed to be temporary... However this is usually when I give up. I'm eating clean and working out hard every day... I'm gaining weight!
I never make it past the first week because it's so discouraging. My husband can fart and lose 10 lbs. :(

Does anyone else have this experience or is it just me??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Just stick to it and it will disappear soon. When I started lifting last month it took about four weeks to get rid of the water.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Happens to everyone, so stay off the scale!
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I get this too. I gained almost 4 lbs when I first started insanity this time around but it was gone by the end of two weeks and I've lost almost an additional 4 lbs since then. It's temporary, stick with it.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    itsthekz wrote: »

This happens to me every single time I start to work out. I gain weight!! I know it's because your muscles retain a little extra water to help them heal and I know it's supposed to be temporary... However this is usually when I give up. I'm eating clean and working out hard every day... I'm gaining weight!
    I never make it past the first week because it's so discouraging. My husband can fart and lose 10 lbs. :(

You give up after a week? Give it a month before you weigh yourself.
  • itsthekz
    itsthekz Posts: 15
    edited December 2014
    Options

You give up after a week? Give it a month before you weigh yourself.

Yes pretty much! I get so discouraged because the scale goes up. This time I'm sticking with it. I can't keep giving up because of a number on the scale! I will get hubby to hide the scale for me today so I'm not tempted to get on it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose fat or are you concerned with a number that nobody in the outside world sees?
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Have your husband hide the scale for a whole month and then get on it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its water! its not REAL gain, and it will go away after a few days. Just don't give up the exercising, its a great way to get fabulous results.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

So you know this?

Then why give up?
  • MaraRose5759
    Options
    Yes, I worked out for actually 6 weeks every morning at 4:00am. I actually felt everything shift and looked better but gained weight. Didn't lose an inch. Then I went on vacation, and a trip to the Netherlands and Venice and got off track. I will start again on the 5th. No excuse why to delay but I need to start with one full week and move forward. Remember I said everything shifted...and it looked great
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    This is very common but dont let the scale be your measuring stick.... let the mirror be. Who cares if you weigh x or y... If you look good why would the number on a scale matter?
  • chandra_floyd
    chandra_floyd Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think when people mean "lose weight", they REALLY should mean "lose fat".

And I am REALLY glad no one has said "muscle weighs more than fat". Because it doesn't. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. A pound is a pound is a pound. You can be a fluffy 200lbs, or a tightly toned 200lbs.

However, muscle does take up less space. So you are probably gaining MUSCLE even though the scale isn't showing a smaller number. Which is GOOD. More muscle = more calories burned. That's what you want!

I have gained weight since I started leading RIPPED classes 3 times a week. And I must say, I look gooooood!. I am 179lb of mostly muscle and 5'8" of long toned arms and legs. Before I started RIPPED, I was 165-170. However, my arms, legs and abs are stronger. The butt is round and lifted. I've improved my core strength and can plank for a full minute and then some. I can do "guy" pushups. I feel amazing! That's the point of working out (for me, anyway).

The scale is an arbitrary number and I kinda wish we could throw them all away, or at least throw away the obsession the media places on maintaining a certain number.
  • chandra_floyd
    Options
    Also, the scale is only one guideline when determining health.

How is your cholesterol and blood sugar? How do your favorite jeans fit? Did you get rid of that line on your stomach from where your pants are squeezing you, or on your back/shoulders from your bra straps? Can you play tag with your kids or climb a flight of stairs without getting out of breath? Do you have good balance and strong bones? Those things are more important and more telling of your health than a number on a scale.

FYI I am a certified group fitness instructor.

And remember to pat your self on the back for your progress!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • itsthekz
    Options
    You are all correct. Thank you for the motivation I needed :) I will keep going I guess I just needed some reassurance that it wasn't just me.

When I was in my 20s i used to compete in figure. My coach made me step on the scale every day and f I didn't lose, she would add another hour to cardio and take out my carbs until I did. I guess having a terrible coach stuck in my head a little after 5 years of that. Lol
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Have you attempted any research whatsoever into what happens to your body when you begin a new workout routine or program?

Or are you just jumping in head first without any idea of what you are doing to your body?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You are all correct. Thank you for the motivation I needed :) I will keep going I guess I just needed some reassurance that it wasn't just me.

When I was in my 20s i used to compete in figure. My coach made me step on the scale every day and f I didn't lose, she would add another hour to cardio and take out my carbs until I did. I guess having a terrible coach stuck in my head a little after 5 years of that. Lol

I think she certainly messed with your head and not in a good way! just keep working out, the scales will play ball just give them time. If you can't handle fluctuations then weigh in once a week/fortnightly/month. Some people chart their weight daily on apps and then over a period of time can see that the trend is going downward.