"You can have just one!"

Options
I remember these 5 words being my most hated sentence from anyone's mouth when I was following a program. I don't know why it's so hard for people to just leave you alone when you choose to get healthy and pass on food or drinks that will set you back or foods you truly don't want anymore! If I say "no thank you" they always have to follow with "oh come on! You can have just one!!"

What is your biggest peeve that people say when you are trying to get healthy?

Replies

• MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "Just don't get too skinny"
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I hate when people bring baked goods in to the office and insist you eat one. Maybe I don't want one? Just because you baked and probably ate 5, doesn't mean you have to bring me down with you.
  • itsthekz
    Options
    "Just don't get too skinny"
    lol I remember that one too!

• itsthekz
    Options
    I hate when people bring baked goods in to the office and insist you eat one. Maybe I don't want one? Just because you baked and probably ate 5, doesn't mean you have to bring me down with you.
    Exactly!! they stay on you until you grab one too. Leave me alone!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to eat that?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    "Are you going to stop now" immediately after complimenting me on weight loss
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "seriously, one won't hurt"

and since I'm a female lifting weights..

"just don't get too big"

what?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    "What do you mean you can still be healthy and still eat fast food?" I don't fear any food, I'm just aware of not overeating too much of any food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    itsthekz wrote: »
    Exactly!! they stay on you until you grab one too. Leave me alone!!

That's when I take one, say thanks, wait a little while, and slip it in the trash when no one is around. LOL ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    'It's cold, you're burning more calories, you can eat more'.
    'oh come on, you look skinny, stop depriving yourself' (I'm REALLY not either)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have none, because whatever they say is their stuff and really has nothing to do with me. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are you allowed to eat that?

And "Do you eat _________?"

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind any of it much, but probably "How much did you lose" which seems overly personal (no, I'm not telling you how much I weighed--I typically just say "lots" but some people keep pressing for details). It used to bug me when people would ask "how did you lose the weight"--I'd typically say "the usual, exercise, eat less," but increasingly I'm realizing that the people who are pushiest about this question usually are interested in losing too, which has made me more tolerant and willing to talk about it in more detail.

People around here don't really push you to eat something--probably because enough people have various eating restrictions or are likely to be dieting--but for that I'd just say "I don't really like ____." That always seems to work (and it's kind of the point with workplace stuff--quite often the treat of the day is something I would have eaten once upon a time, but not nearly delicious enough to justify the calories when I have other food planned I want to eat more).
  • itsthekz
    Options
    I used to bring chicken to work in a Tupperware and people would look at me like I was eating insects or something. Utter disgust that I was having chicken breast and broccoli out of Tupperware or worst yet... A ziplock Baggie! Oh no you di'int!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I brush people off for the most part. I will glare at them if they make stupid comments but I don't let it bother me anymore. If they start asking lots of questions I don't waste my breath. Most people who badger you about it aren't serious about losing weight and getting healthy so it is a waste of time.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I saw my brother and sister-in-law for the first time in August after not seeing them for a couple years (they live in a different State). The first thing my sister-in-law said was "Oh My God, what the hell did you do to yourself?"
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had a love interest say to me to "not lose too much weight" because he "doesn't want competition"
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    KarenB927 wrote: »
    I saw my brother and sister-in-law for the first time in August after not seeing them for a couple years (they live in a different State). The first thing my sister-in-law said was "Oh My God, what the hell did you do to yourself?"

I hope you said, "I got HOT!", what have you done for yourself?" Seriously, I cannot believe the scope of some people's rudeness...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    I had a love interest say to me to "not lose too much weight" because he "doesn't want competition"

Glad you are speaking of this person in past terms. Sounds like a loser.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    KarenB927 wrote: »

That is the most awful thing I've heard all day. :(

Jealously is a horrible thing. BTW, you look great in your profile pic. Congrats on your hard work and determination!