What to do when you hate the Treadmill ??

Options
Hi Everyone!
We all know that running is the best form of Cardio but I actually hate running :( indoor and outdoor! - for some reason it makes me feel sick and I get bored very quickly.

What is the next best option for me ?

Thanks
India

Replies

• drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    8 count body builders....

Stair Master

The Arc Trainer

Kettle Bell Swings ....
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Elliptical machine! My favourite is the Precor 100i because there are different motions you can do to work different muscle groups :) I'm not a huge fan of running but I'll do it but I'd prefer the elliptical any day!
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    8 count body builders....

Stair Master

The Arc Trainer

Kettle Bell Swings ....

Oooh the Arc is great too!
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A rowing machine.

Or a bike.

Or an elliptical.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't know running was the best form of cardio.
  • JT_Taylor_99
    Options
    Swimming

Elliptical

Cycling

Walking
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    The best cardio is one that you'll stick with!! If you like cycling or swimming do that. Dance if that gets you going!!

If you don't like running, but still want to run, do intervals. They are over before you know it. Google intervals or HIIT - high intensity interval training.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    hBD56563B
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I box for cardio. Rowing machines are pretty awesome too, so long as you use good form.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The best cardio is one that you'll stick with!! If you like cycling or swimming do that. Dance if that gets you going!!

This.

I do enjoy running (outside only), but there's some days I'm just not into it. So I pick up my camera and go for a hike instead.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I dance or else I just plain go for a nice walk with my dog. I don't believe in too much cardio - I'm more of a weights and Pilates kind of a person and it's done well for me.
  • getfitindia
    Options
    I think I might do 10 minutes of interval training on the treadmill but there is no way I can stay on it for like 30 minutes! - it makes me feel really sick :(

I quite like the cross trainer! so this might be the best option

Just trying to get back into a good lifestyle!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Running isn't the best form of cardio for me!
    Anything more than 100m is a chore and any significant distance kills my damaged knees.

Rower or elliptical for working more muscles and high burn rate.

Cycling is my cardio of choice - indoors for convenience on a spinning bike but much prefer to cycle outdoors.

In reality the "best" cardio is the one you enjoy.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    is it at the gym you do the treadmill?
    I am not a fan of it myself...i dont like the impact. I do the Arc trainer and the eliptical and first of all i find they seem to burn more in the same amount of time, and second they dont seem to have the same impact...since your feet dont leave the pedals.

Also the bike is another good one.

There is the stairclimber, although my gym doesn't have those so i am not very familiar.

if it's an option there are classes like zumba, aerobics etc, although you may be looking at addional costs if that is a concern. I do zumba and lost 30 lbs in about 4-5 months.

hope those help!
  • Dewdropps
    Dewdropps Posts: 111
    Options
    hBD56563B

Win! I hate the treadmill.... I swim and when I get the chance, I go for a bike ride. Running is not the best cardio for everyone, and if you dislike it, it's definitely not the best cardio for you <3
  • boarderstu
    boarderstu Posts: 31
    Options
    Run outside
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Walk at home
    Run outside
    Jog on the spot inside
    Walk outside

Easy

I hate hate hate treadmills & think they are for ...well....people who are more interested in watching TV while working out than actually working out.
  • Nikki_XC
    Nikki_XC Posts: 69
    Options
    Find an activity you enjoy. For me, I prefer cycling. I can't get enough time on my bike!
    Mountain biking in particular. EXCELLENT cardio & strength!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    since running is not necessarily the best form of cardio.. you are in luck. Cardio can be anything that get's your heart rate up for a significant amount of time. I would much rather do body squats, high knees, walking lunges, and burpees as a circuit over running. Although, I have been running more lately. The more I do it, the more I enjoy it. ;)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill too, and nearly all the other cardio machines as well.

I walk daily, swing kettlebells, and do a bit of hill sprinting.