Doesnt make sense

Options
I have been eating a ton of fruits and veggies (haven't logged as I had my laptop in the shop) I mean fruit at every meal and veggies (no dips) as snack and for dinner (chicken, eggs and fish as my protein at meals). I noticed the few days I did this I was beyond hungry...could have heard my stomach grumbling from a mile away. I was drinking lots of water too so wasn't thirst (3-4l/day). I do not understand how eating healthy makes me want to eat more lol can someone explain please...troll free of course.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Either calories are too low or fats and proteins are low. Honestly, you really need to start logging otherwise, it's impossible to help.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories?

This.

And I also find that if I don't work enough fat into my diet, I get ravenous.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No enough calories, for starters. Add more nuts and seeds, and some beans. But keep eating those vegetables and fruits!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? Also, how much fat? I find fruits and especially vegetables quite filling, but typically when I accidently go very low fat I am less likely to be full for long.

If you are eating basically just those proteins and fruits and veggies, your calories are probably way too low, as others have said, which explains why you would be hungry.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy doesn't mean you are hitting your macros with nutrient rich foods. Now that you are able to log, focus on your protein, fat, and fiber.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Fats and proteins and carbs
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Veggies and lean proteins are not high in calories. You are probably undereating. Best to get logging ASAP so you can know for sure.

Good Luck!
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    fruit is sugar. Less fruit more GREEN veggies and more protein. Carbs are in veggies too btw.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Either calories are too low or fats and proteins are low. Honestly, you really need to start logging otherwise, it's impossible to help.

I'd definitely agree with this. I have to keep my fats and proteins higher or I will be STARVING.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i changed my life 3 days ago and Im still not used to it, I quit
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you are that hungry you aren't getting the right balance of foods. Just eating fruits, veggies and protein isn't going to satisfy you for the long run. I think I'd give up after 2 days.

First - you have to log. There is such a thing as eating too many fruits and veggies.

Second - You don't have to eat like you are dieting to lose weight. Just eat less of what you used to it.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »
    Not enough calories?

This.

And I also find that if I don't work enough fat into my diet, I get ravenous.

mmmm - bacon! B)

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    spm2010 wrote: »
    I have been eating a ton of fruits and veggies (haven't logged as I had my laptop in the shop) I mean fruit at every meal and veggies (no dips) as snack and for dinner (chicken, eggs and fish as my protein at meals). I noticed the few days I did this I was beyond hungry...could have heard my stomach grumbling from a mile away. I was drinking lots of water too so wasn't thirst (3-4l/day). I do not understand how eating healthy makes me want to eat more lol can someone explain please...troll free of course.

Not enough cals, not enough fat
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Gotta log so you can figure out what is going to work. I'm 5'8" workout heavy weights and two days cardio per week. I go between 1500-2200 cals and sometimes feel ravenous. I try to drink a protein shake to deal with the hunger at night because I just can't sleep hungry.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I need protein and fats to keep sated.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories?

You've only logged one meal, so you don't yet know how many calories you're eating. According to your profile, you want to lose 13 lbs. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

And learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

Do not give up.
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think its the fat and calories now that everyones mentioned it, I actually thought with all the fruit, veggies and meat I was eating I have to be going over my calories but I guess not.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What is "dip"? I am wracking my brain to find a veggie (or chemical in food) that is (or is not) dip and cannot for the life of me come up with one. ???

If you're accustomed to overeating, there will be a few days or a week during which you'll fell hungry when you begin dieting, especially at first, as your stomach shrinks and isn't filled. That's okay. It's okay to be hungry sometimes, especially at first!

If you eat a lot of fruits and veggies, though, you shouldn't be all that hungry. You can eat piles and piles of lettuce for almost zero calories. A big bowl of strawberries is very few. If you use the hard, thick, white parts of the lettuce as a chip, you can chow down on that and salsa for so very few calories.

If you don't eat enough, you will have all kinds of problems, though. It might be a good idea to log and see where you fall. You could just write it all down and enter it later...if you don't want to see the totals right now, for some reason.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to really say unless there is some indication of a) what you've been doing more broadly and b) how this is different to what you were doing before.

There's a lot of things that could have changed- eg you're eating more fruit and vegetables, but not getting the same amount of calories or food mass as what you were eating before. As people have pointed out, more fats and proteins can also help with satiety. Alternatively, it can also be easy as well to confuse some of the... gassiness? that comes with suddenly changing to a higher fruit and veg diet with hunger.

If you've gone from a diet where you've been eating a lot of calorie rich food, to one with more wholefoods, you might think you're eating the same quantity of food when you are in fact eating much less in terms of calories and macronutrients. That's the thing about wholefoods- far more 'bang for your buck' as it was. Have a critical look at how you were eating before and then make adjustments to your current diet accordingly, so it's not such a big change. That may help.