Should I Go Sugar Free?

Options
13»

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    pudgymama wrote: »
    For those of you giving sound advice, I thank you. I was only thinking of going sugar free for a while to try and break what I feel is close to an addiction. I apologize that I didn't scope out other posts first to avoid sounding like a broken record. To the others, thank you for reminding me why I never interact on this site.

People here can be *kitten* and feel like they know everything. There is nothing wrong with you asking for advice. There is also nothing wrong with not having fine tooth combed the whole site before asking a legitimate question.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    For those of you giving sound advice, I thank you. I was only thinking of going sugar free for a while to try and break what I feel is close to an addiction. I apologize that I didn't scope out other posts first to avoid sounding like a broken record. To the others, thank you for reminding me why I never interact on this site.

People here can be *kitten* and feel like they know everything. There is nothing wrong with you asking for advice. There is also nothing wrong with not having fine tooth combed the whole site before asking a legitimate question.

I'm sorry if I came off as ****y for linking to a thread on the subject. It's a topic that brings out a lot of different opinions and arguments and I felt that it might be better if the OP saw it happening on another thread before it happened here where it was more likely to be taken personally.

Oftentimes topics have been well covered elsewhere and linking to the thread is just a lot easier than rehashing and retyping things over and over again. In this case it wasn't meant to call her out for not "having fine tooth combed the whole site" but an easy way to link her to all of the arguments for and against in one thread.

I'm a jerk if I post a link, I'm a jerk if I copy/paste advice. No winning around here.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have been a MFP member for a long time, but I am just now getting up the motivation to start a serious weightloss journey. I have my exercise plan in place, and now I am trying to focus on lifetime healthy eating changes. I am just plain embarrassed by how much sugar I take in on an average day and I felt that this would be a first goal of mine in my healthy eating journey. This includes not only candy and sweets, but also lots of fruits and other sugars hidden in everyday foods. Can anyone tell me if they have cut 100% of sugar from their diet before to sort of "detox"? What were your results? Did you stop craving sugar after a while? Was it sustainable? Or is it not such a good idea to be so severe? Should I leave natural sugars in my diet or cut fruits altogether? What amount of sugar should I limit myself to per day if I can't give it up completely?

pudgymana after a lifetime of sugar abuse I decided to cut back and did for Aug-Sept but was not able to cut it back day after day. I gotten really ticked that I was letting sugar abuse hurt me and when cold turkey first of Oct.

Thought I was going to die for the first two weeks but then the cravings failed away after I replaced the carbs with fat (coconut oil is my go to fat). I have lost 15 pounds in the last 90 days and still am off of sugar. Yes I gave up most all fruit.

A much younger person (I am 63) might not have to do that but I was eating 2000-3000 calories of carbs a lot of days so they had me bad.

Best of luck. Carbs are not required but if you cut them out they will tell you it is a lie. Try to not listen to the songs of the Carbs. :)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When the experts talk about limiting sugar, they're talking about added sugars, not the sugar in fruit. For most people, there is no problem eating fruit. Unless your doctor tells you to cut the fruit out, there is no reason you need to do that.

If you want to cut every bit of sugar out of your diet, though, I am not here to fight about what you should and shouldn't eat, lol. Your body, your life, your choices. :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    When the experts talk about limiting sugar, they're talking about added sugars, not the sugar in fruit. For most people, there is no problem eating fruit. Unless your doctor tells you to cut the fruit out, there is no reason you need to do that.

If you want to cut every bit of sugar out of your diet, though, I am not here to fight about what you should and shouldn't eat, lol. Your body, your life, your choices. :)

Is that even possible?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

Is that even possible?

Kind of possible but when limiting carbs to <50 grams for nutrition ketosis at will only permit nuts and some low carb veggies often.

Like almonds for example. An ounce contains 6 grams of carbs and one gram of sugar. Macadamia nuts I am looking at has 4g of carbs with 1 g being sugar.

Carbs do not cause health issues in all people is my guess but they do in my case.