Looking for healthy red meat recipes

Options
auntchellebelle
auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
I have searched Google high and low and it seems all of the recipes are the same when it comes to red meat.

A little background, I am severely anemic and my meals need to contain of red meat mostly. I do enjoy chicken though.

Throw me some good recipes please.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about red meat?
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is. But everytime I ask people for red meat recipes they jump down my throat and tell me to EAT LEAN WHITE CHICKEN. I like chicken, I just need red meat and people don't get that.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Look for cuts of meat that have 'loin' or 'round' in the name. Those are your leanest cuts. Stick to them and trim your fat off before cooking and you'll have a very 'healthy' red meat portion.

Skirt or flank steak - combine a tablespoon of olive oil, a few ounces of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of agave nectar or honey, a smashed garlic clove, black pepper and any other spices you like in a large ziptop bag. Marinate for at least 2 hours, discard marinade, grill.

Use top sirloin to make beef jerky. A highly underrated snack. Can easily be done in the oven and there are all kinds of different flavors you can create.

Lean Trimmed Brisket - use a basic crock pot recipe to make shredded beef for chili, tacos, burritos, sandwiches, etc. Cooked brisket also freezes well so cook a larger size cut for leftovers.

Meat rolls - my German grandmother made variations of the recipe below when I was growing up and to this day, on a cold snowy afternoon, I crave them. She used chopped dried apricots in hers (good for anemia) but I don't. My personal take uses salami instead of prosciutto, I wrap whole hard boiled eggs into the roll and use a few chopped green olives in my breadcrumb mixture. This is a splurge recipe - each serving has close to 700 calories. But dang it tastes good.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/my-mamas-braciole-recipe.html

Beef liver - if you like liver this has loads of iron. Soak the liver in milk a few hours or overnight. Remove and pat dry. Trim out any fatty tissue or gristle - this may leave you with several smaller pieces which is fine. You want the portions to be almost medallion size. Season the pieces with salt and pepper. Dredge in seasoned flour and cook in a skillet with hot oil until golden brown on both sides. You want the liver just a little pink when you eat it. There are also lots of really good beef liver 'pate' recipes out there that would make a good snack.

Can't go wrong with a good cheeseburger. Get a 90/10 muscle/fat mix for leanness sake. Ditto a meatball dish for a snack or dinner.

Beef Stir Fry for 4 - cuts from any round or loin, thinly sliced. Use the flank/skirt steak marinade above for this beef. Marinade no longer than 2 hours (the thin slices may get too salty otherwise). Discard marinade. Combine a level tablespoon of cornstarch with just enough water to make it pasty. Set aside. Using a wok or large skillet over high heat, sear the beef and remove from the cooking vessel. Work in batches if necessary. Add a little more oil, then add 4 cloves minced garlic and your favorite chopped vegetables to the hot vessel and cook, stirring constantly, until they just begin to get 'al dente'. Combine 1/8 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, 1/2 cup chicken stock and the cornstarch mixture. Add this to the veggies and stir constantly until any liquid begins to thicken. Add cooked beef and some red pepper flakes. I also like to finish this with some fresh thai or Italian sweet basil, fresh savory, thyme and crushed peanuts. A pinch of the same dried spices (or whatever spices you prefer) work fine if fresh are not available. Stir and serve.

Make steak kebabs.

Beef Stroganoff - a lighter version of the traditional.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quick-beef-stroganoff-1

OK - back to work. I should at least 'appear to be busy'.