Ear buds vs over the ear headphones-running

Options
So I currently have the Beats ear buds and am tired of having them slip out of place while running. I was considering getting over the ear headphones instead. Are there disadvantages for over the ear I'm not considering (like having to keep moving them up on your head, too bulky etc...). I'm eyeing the beats over the ear headphones but didn't want to fork out the cash if I'll just find something else to complain about when using them.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I prefer earbuds. I mainly use over the ear for video editing, and gaming. Below are the ones I use, and I love them !

https://zipbuds.com/
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    neither. I run early mornings outside. I strap on my iphone and turn the volume all the way up. Much safer, imo. If I'm doing a race, then I will use over the ear headphones. Ear buds fall out too often for me.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I use the 5$ earbuds you buy at Walgreens. Rarely have a problem with them.
    I don't use them for training runs because that's not safe but if I'm stuck inside on a treadmill I will or for a race
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Yurbuds with the over ear clip work great. Cheap, stay on and don't completely block out ambient noise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I'm treadmill running/stairclimbing- ear buds- the over ear ones never stay put- or bang around.

outside running = no head phones- to big of a safety hazard where I live.
  • ltomberry
    ltomberry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yurbuds are good. Also I like the cheap Sony in-ear headphones, they don't slip out either. But not the kind with the inline microphone/volume switch. The switch makes the cord a little heavy and it bounces around and tugs the earbud out of my ear.
    I kind of want to try the Bose Soundsport/Soundtrue headphones, but I'm afraid to drop $100 before I know if they'll stay in.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do not use over the ear headphones if you're running outdoors.......they impede your ability to be aware of your surroundings at all times (one of the reasons I now have a 103db bike horn).
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Do not use over the ear headphones if you're running outdoors.......they impede your ability to be aware of your surroundings at all times (one of the reasons I now have a 103db bike horn).

Earbuds are just as bad.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Earbuds are just as bad.

True, but at least with earbuds you can run with one left out (personally I find music distracting when I run)
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do use over the ear phones when I am walking/running outdoors, however my mentality is to be EXTRA aware of what is going on around me because I have them on. The ones I use are lightweight and inexpensive, but are durable and work well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JRYLG4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Personally I don't care for earbuds.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Earbuds are just as bad.

True, but at least with earbuds you can run with one left out (personally I find music distracting when I run)

LOL that would make me crazy- I do it at work and it's not so bad- but running- oiy- no way.

also- as stated- I'm not keen on music any more for running whilst outside.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I hate earbuds, I have a few different pairs of over-the-ear-clip headphones. I got some JVC ones from Groupon last year and they're the best I've used. Cheap, too. They're like these: http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAEBX5V-Sport-Headphone-Violet/dp/B003XQLRQY/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419965204&sr=1-13&keywords=headphone+ear+clip
  • outtamyweigh
    Options
    Thanks all, I use them on my treadmill in the mornings. I got a roku and I can plug the earphones in the remote and hear the tv so I don't wake everyone up.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I use the 5$ earbuds you buy at Walgreens. Rarely have a problem with them.
    I don't use them for training runs because that's not safe but if I'm stuck inside on a treadmill I will or for a race

These are what I use too, cheap and I wear them all time without them falling out.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Earbuds always fall out on me. I have very small ear openings which makes it hard for me to wear earbuds. I felt bad because my boyfriend got me some nice wireless ear buds for my birthday, but even after trying every adjustment, they still fell out.

I like over the hear headphones when I'm doing something with a lot of movement. I bought wireless bluetooth Motorola ones that work really well. They stay in place, don't fall off, and the band around the back doesn't impact heard turning or anything.
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I use the ones that came with my iPhone when I run at the gym. They are just earbuds but they sit really well in my ear. It might have something to do with the way ears are shaped, and that helps to determine preference. Use one of each, and decide which ones you like more!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use ear buds, specifically Jaybirds Bluebuds X. Took a bit to find the right fit, but love them now. I wear glasses, so over the ear ones are never comfortable to me. I also only run with one in my ear, so I can hear my environment. Ear buds make that possible.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    I use ear buds, specifically Jaybirds Bluebuds X. Took a bit to find the right fit, but love them now. I wear glasses, so over the ear ones are never comfortable to me. I also only run with one in my ear, so I can hear my environment. Ear buds make that possible.
    Love these. Once I figured out that the ear piece needed to be angled 90 degrees forward instead of straight up I love them. I don't run with them all the time but I used them for about 10 miles during a race this month. Even during pouring down rain they stayed in and sounded great.
  • outtamyweigh
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    Ah man, I wear glasses too, that is something I wouldn't have thought of, phew!
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    So I currently have the Beats ear buds and am tired of having them slip out of place while running. I was considering getting over the ear headphones instead. Are there disadvantages for over the ear I'm not considering (like having to keep moving them up on your head, too bulky etc...). I'm eyeing the beats over the ear headphones but didn't want to fork out the cash if I'll just find something else to complain about when using them.

They are a bit bulky and can start to hurt your ears after wearing them a while. I have Beats and they stay in pretty good. Have you tried switching to a bigger ear piece or to memory foam ones ?