Over Thinking

jennifir
jennifir Posts: 197 Member
Hi y'all. I'm active again. Always been around. I have motivation then lose motivation. I'm going to try something new for myself. Stop over thinking it. I set high expectations, unrealistic about what I want to do. Sure, I'd love to work out everyday, but I know it's not realistic.

And that is where the over thinking comes in...I over think being perfect at trying to reach my goals everyday and end up discouraging myself. Making a little ground then stepping back and losing the ground. I feel as if I keep starting over with the same fresh perception. I need to change that perception. If I am only able to work out three times a week or even one time then good...don't over think it and beat myself up. Then stop altogether because I start thinking there's no point then I gain weight and feel yucky again. Hence, bringing on the cycle of mild depression.

My new over thinking approach. Put in my goals to begin with, definite one day a week. If I manage more...then yay! Seems to be working. I'm working out on my days off. Don't over think and try to work ten hours a day and work out after being on my feet all day.

Three days off is just right for now!

I don't know if others have had this same round the rosie issue but I could definitely use some more cheerleaders and have the opportunity to cheer for others!!!!

One Step. Two Step. Realistic. No Over Thinking! My goal!

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    The good news is that MFP is pretty much designed for this approach. You can put in whatever exercise goals you want, but you don't actually get "credit" (in terms of extra calories you're allowed to eat) until you do the exercise. (Well, technically, until you log the exercise. MFP can't stop you from lying about what you did, just like it can't make you be accurate in weighing, measuring, selecting "good" database entries, and logging your food.) I've lost weight on MFP hitting the gym three to four times a week. I've lost weight on MFP not doing anything more than walking when I had the chance.
  • jennifir wrote: »
    Hi y'all. I'm active again. Always been around. I have motivation then lose motivation. I'm going to try something new for myself. Stop over thinking it. I set high expectations, unrealistic about what I want to do. Sure, I'd love to work out everyday, but I know it's not realistic.

And that is where the over thinking comes in...I over think being perfect at trying to reach my goals everyday and end up discouraging myself. Making a little ground then stepping back and losing the ground. I feel as if I keep starting over with the same fresh perception. I need to change that perception. If I am only able to work out three times a week or even one time then good...don't over think it and beat myself up. Then stop altogether because I start thinking there's no point then I gain weight and feel yucky again. Hence, bringing on the cycle of mild depression.

My new over thinking approach. Put in my goals to begin with, definite one day a week. If I manage more...then yay! Seems to be working. I'm working out on my days off. Don't over think and try to work ten hours a day and work out after being on my feet all day.

Three days off is just right for now!

I don't know if others have had this same round the rosie issue but I could definitely use some more cheerleaders and have the opportunity to cheer for others!!!!

One Step. Two Step. Realistic. No Over Thinking! My goal!

Yes! I understand how you feel. I am doing much better, but in prior attempts I would get discouraged very easily and give up (which has lead me to the weight I am now) Feel free to add me.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited December 2014
    I have done some of this myself, in the past. I decide to go on a big campaign to lose weight and I plan it all out. I'm going to stop eating out or eating convenience foods. I'm going to cook three meals a day from scratch. I'm going to pack my lunch and snacks to work every day. I'm going to meet all my macros and micros. I'm going to go to the gym every weekday before work and ride my bike on the weekends.

None of this lasted for long. Once, not even a whole day. It just made me feel like a loser.

I have since discovered that I do better eating the same way I've always eaten, but I just adjust the portions so I don't go over my calorie budget (much.) I don't worry about getting all the carbs, fats and proteins in the right proportions every day. I don't worry if I drank enough water. This past month I haven't exercised at all due to an injury and I've lost 5 pounds anyway despite the holiday. So, clearly I don't have to punish myself or make things complicated in order to lose weight.

*Warning* The above has come from a contrarian curmudgeonly old lady who has blasphemous notions about diet. Others on these forums will tell you to ignore this and do things the "right" way...whatever that is.
  • I'm also an overthinker, previously drawing up elaborate lists of how,when,where, and what I had to do to reach my goals. It works for some, but for me it was a huge setback, every single time. I'm recently back to MFP and have decided that for now, my only goal is to log my food and exercise (when and if I do it). I believe that small changes will lead to big results, just may take longer than I want. Of course. Good luck on your journey. You can do this! Anyone is welcome to add me, I can use some new friends on here.
  • jennifir
    I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this! All very inspiring! Thank you!
  • jennifir
    Dessalena wrote: »
    I'm also an overthinker, previously drawing up elaborate lists of how,when,where, and what I had to do to reach my goals. It works for some, but for me it was a huge setback, every single time. I'm recently back to MFP and have decided that for now, my only goal is to log my food and exercise (when and if I do it). I believe that small changes will lead to big results, just may take longer than I want. Of course. Good luck on your journey. You can do this! Anyone is welcome to add me, I can use some new friends on here.

This is exactly how I have decided to approach it. Slow and steady wins the race as they say.

• eatnojunk
    eatnojunk Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2014
    Meditation has help with the mind cluter of overthinking. I suffer from depression and when you think of ALL THE THINGS I SHOULD BE DOING you most likely end up doing nothing its not a race as long as your moving in the right direction. Be kind to yourself.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Great new goal! Nobody is or can be 'perfect' all the time. You're right, its over-thinking in the brain.
    Set you workout schedule in your calendar, realistically with your life. Then go for it!
    The Body Needs break days too. Its when the muscles rebuild and we just plain need it.
    I am a natural night owl, but the only way I could get consistent was working out in the AM. I fight myself getting out of bed, but its nice to be 'done' early in the day and not thinking about it too.

Welcome BACK!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    I'm always setting unrealistic goals for myself. It's very all or nothing. I think it mostly comes from a place of regret and feeling like I need to play catch up with myself for all the time I wasn't doing what I knew I should and was perfectly capable of doing. It's something I definitely need to work on in 2015.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    The good news is that MFP is pretty much designed for this approach. You can put in whatever exercise goals you want, but you don't actually get "credit" (in terms of extra calories you're allowed to eat) until you do the exercise. (Well, technically, until you log the exercise. MFP can't stop you from lying about what you did, just like it can't make you be accurate in weighing, measuring, selecting "good" database entries, and logging your food.) I've lost weight on MFP hitting the gym three to four times a week. I've lost weight on MFP not doing anything more than walking when I had the chance.

This.

And yes, I agree. When I first got back to being in the gym I told myself who cares what I do, how many times I get it in-just go. That's basically what I did, stopped over thinking it. It relieved a lot of stress and pressure I would have put on myself about food and exercise.

Now? I definitely have higher standards for myself but I love working out, I love eating right/sticking to my deficit to see results. And yes I get a little stressed about getting into the gym enough, but it's for a different reason...because I love it now and want my body to progress, not because I feel guilty about being fat.

Good luck to you! Great approach.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I understand how you feel. I have decided to change my way of thinking too and decided to quit focusing on the number of the scale as the determining factor of whether or not I am "successful." I have decided to use non scale victories to serve as a better guide. For example: how my clothes fit or having to buy new clothes because the others are too big, being able to reduce time of my mile, being able to run a 5k without stopping, and how many inches I have lost will be used to determine if I am losing weight. I told my roommate to hide the scale from me a few months ago because it was detrimental to my goals and I was becoming way too obsessed with weighing myself and then feeling defeated if I felt like my hard work hadn't paid off.

My goals for this year are based on fitness accomplishments versus how much weight I have lost. I am hoping by creating fitness goals and accomplishing those that the weight will come off while I am reaching my goals. I also got a new puppy a month ago and I try to walk him at least once a day for about a mile each day. I can already tell a difference in the way that my clothes fit just from walking or jogging with my dog. Sometimes it is the little things that we work on to create a habit that can have the longest lasting impact for us.

I also had to work on changing my thinking from all or nothing to allow myself to make mistakes. We are only human! After I allowed myself to make mistakes and go over calories on occasion by a few hundred, I would enjoy it, and rein myself back in at the next meal or the next day. This thinking has given me the chance to quit viewing food as the enemy and more as the fuel source that it is for my body. I try to work treats into my day if possible and try not to consider anything off-limits. I have found though that once I seen how much exercise I would have to do to eat a Snickers bar, I usually make a healthier choice.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas on not "over thinking" it and finding a way that makes this work for you. I wish you the best on your journey and in the upcoming year. If anyone would like to add me as a friend, feel free to do so.
  • jennifir
    eatnojunk wrote: »
    Meditation has help with the mind cluter of overthinking. I suffer from depression and when you think of ALL THE THINGS I SHOULD BE DOING you most likely end up doing nothing its not a race as long as your moving in the right direction. Be kind to yourself.

I also tend to waste time thinking of all the things I should be doing.

• jennifir
    nancybuss wrote: »
    Great new goal! Nobody is or can be 'perfect' all the time. You're right, its over-thinking in the brain.
    Set you workout schedule in your calendar, realistically with your life. Then go for it!
    The Body Needs break days too. Its when the muscles rebuild and we just plain need it.
    I am a natural night owl, but the only way I could get consistent was working out in the AM. I fight myself getting out of bed, but its nice to be 'done' early in the day and not thinking about it too.

Welcome BACK!

Thank you!

I have learned I have to change my strategy! My work schedule now does not fit with my strategy which fit perfectly with my work schedule before.

• jennifir
    sherambler wrote: »
    I'm always setting unrealistic goals for myself. It's very all or nothing. I think it mostly comes from a place of regret and feeling like I need to play catch up with myself for all the time I wasn't doing what I knew I should and was perfectly capable of doing. It's something I definitely need to work on in 2015.

Same here! I guess one small step is better than no step and I tend to walk into things when I look back!

• jennifir
    debubbie wrote: »
    I understand how you feel. I have decided to change my way of thinking too and decided to quit focusing on the number of the scale as the determining factor of whether or not I am "successful." I have decided to use non scale victories to serve as a better guide. For example: how my clothes fit or having to buy new clothes because the others are too big, being able to reduce time of my mile, being able to run a 5k without stopping, and how many inches I have lost will be used to determine if I am losing weight. I told my roommate to hide the scale from me a few months ago because it was detrimental to my goals and I was becoming way too obsessed with weighing myself and then feeling defeated if I felt like my hard work hadn't paid off.

My goals for this year are based on fitness accomplishments versus how much weight I have lost. I am hoping by creating fitness goals and accomplishing those that the weight will come off while I am reaching my goals. I also got a new puppy a month ago and I try to walk him at least once a day for about a mile each day. I can already tell a difference in the way that my clothes fit just from walking or jogging with my dog. Sometimes it is the little things that we work on to create a habit that can have the longest lasting impact for us.

I also had to work on changing my thinking from all or nothing to allow myself to make mistakes. We are only human! After I allowed myself to make mistakes and go over calories on occasion by a few hundred, I would enjoy it, and rein myself back in at the next meal or the next day. This thinking has given me the chance to quit viewing food as the enemy and more as the fuel source that it is for my body. I try to work treats into my day if possible and try not to consider anything off-limits. I have found though that once I seen how much exercise I would have to do to eat a Snickers bar, I usually make a healthier choice.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas on not "over thinking" it and finding a way that makes this work for you. I wish you the best on your journey and in the upcoming year. If anyone would like to add me as a friend, feel free to do so.

Very encouraging. Thank you!