edited December 2014
    Options
    Fresh and frozen fruits and veggies
    Lean, white meats
    Eggs
    Low or no-fat dairy
    Whole grain breads
    Water
    Seasonings - fresh or in shakers. Because some of that food needs some help!

...and for me, personally, Nature Valley Crunchy granola bars, Apple Crisp flavor. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    SammaBread wrote: »
    SammaBread
    Healthy grocery staples for 1 week on a budget? So far I have fruit, veg, turkey fish or chicken, Cottage cheese.

I would make an actual meal plan first if you are really on a low budget. I would try to have 3-4 meatless meals and would make a big pot of soup one day that you could use leftovers for additional meals. I would buy larger pieces of meat like a whole chicken to cook. I would not pay extra to have someone else skin, debone, cut or shred your food. To stretch a smaller amount of meat out, cut it up and put it in something like soup, stew, stir fry or a casserole instead of having a large chunk on your plate. Reduce waste. Look at store- brand or generic items- they aren't very different and can cost quite a bit less.
    Dry beans or lentils are cheap, filling and do not go bad.
    Canned beans are also low cost. Buy some canned chickpeas and make hummus- easy and cheap.
    Whole wheat bread, tortillas or pita bread- sandwiches are not unhealthy.
    Peanut butter
    Rice or pasta
    I buy canned tomatoes but other vegetables I buy fresh or frozen. I do buy canned fruit, frozen fruit and fresh fruit.
    eggs, butter, milk, cheese
    I would get a large container of yogurt instead of single serving size cups.
    A large container of plain oatmeal is pretty cheap and filling.
    Cereal is okay.
    Popcorn is a cheap snack. If you get a bag of kernals and pop it on the stove or an air popper you can control things like oils and salt.
    Do you have things like oil, spices, vinegar, condiments, sugar, or flour?