Milk, Almond Milk, Lactose Free Milk... help!

Options
I love cereal and milk! I usually use 2% milk but looking to venture out to something different. I don't understand what makes almond milk better that regular milk. Can someone explain?

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Almond/Soy Milk
    Almost milk is made from almonds. Soy milk is made from soy beans.
    Pros:
    -Great if you're vegan
    -Sweeter than regular milk
    -Great if you're lactose intolerant
    -Depending on the brand, it may be: lower calorie, lower fat, higher vitamin.
    -You can get it pretty cheap if you buy the cartons that don't require refrigeration

Cons:
    -Does not taste the same as milk.
    -Some brands taste watery. Some taste too sweet.
    -Cannot be used in all baking in place of milk
    -Curdles in hot, milkly acidic coffee

Lactose-Free Milk
    Lactose free milk is cow's milk with the lactase enzyme added, effectively pre-digesting the lactose for you.
    Pros:
    -Tastes exactly the same as regular milk
    -Can be substituted for milk in all baking

Cons:
    -More expensive than regular milk
    -Not vegan
    -Same nutrient profile as regular milk
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Almond/Soy Milk
    Almost milk is made from almonds. Soy milk is made from soy beans.
    Pros:
    -Great if you're vegan
    -Sweeter than regular milk
    -Depending on the brand, it may be: lower calorie, lower fat, higher vitamin.
    -You can get it pretty cheap if you buy the cartons that don't require refrigeration

Cons:
    -Does not taste the same as milk.
    -Some brands taste watery. Some taste too sweet.
    -Cannot be used in all baking in place of milk
    -Curdles in hot, milkly acidic coffee

Lactose-Free Milk
    Lactose free milk is cow's milk with the lactase enzyme added, effectively pre-digesting the lactose for you.
    Pros:
    -Tastes exactly the same as regular milk
    -Can be substituted for milk in all baking

Cons:
    -More expensive than regular milk
    -Not vegan
    -Same nutrient profile as regular milk

Thank you for the input. I am the kind of person who has milk and cereal before bed. I was looking for something with a lot of nutrients in it. So lactose free milk is out.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I like it and it's easy to fit into my calorie goals. The only cows milk I really enjoy is homogenized, which is a lot more calories, and not really worth it if the only thing I'm using it for is protein shakes and coffee.
  • auntchellebelle
    Options
    I drink almond milk because I like it and it's easy to fit into my calorie goals. The only cows milk I really enjoy is homogenized, which is a lot more calories, and not really worth it if the only thing I'm using it for is protein shakes and coffee.

sweetened or unsweetened?
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options

sweetened or unsweetened?

I'm buying Silk Natural Almond Milk now which is slightly sweetened but not the vanilla kind. Unsweetened is even less calories, but doesn't taste as good to me.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of milk in general but I like using almond milk for when I want cereal and such. One of the greatest benefits I've found about it is that it has a much longer shelf life than cow's milk, as in you can open it, leave it in your fridge and it will still be fine a couple of months later. That's great for me since I don't use it that often and it's more expensive.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is not very thick. It's watery and can leave a weird aftertaste. It's low calorie and lots of nutrients are added since the processing procedures basically kills a lot of nutrients from the almonds themselves. If you're switching from cow milk which is fatty, I recommend soy milk first. It's thicker and has more substance. I can drink cow milk by itself but with both almond and soy milk, I need to eat with cereal or put in smoothies. You should try out different types to see which one you like best! I wouldn't say one is healthier than another though; they are merely alternatives to one another.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love dairy (although I don't really drink milk often and also prefer my coffee black). The rundown by britishbroccoli looks right to me. The reason some people prefer almond milk (and may even claim it's healthier) is because they are opposed to dairy or have lactose problems, and I guess some like to save the calories. For me, lowfat dairy is a fabulous source of protein for the calories, so that's not an issue (I like whole too, but don't prefer the taste in most of the dairy I eat, so more often go for the macros and calorie savings of the lower fat versions).
  • auntchellebelle
    Options
    I was thinking about switching to skim milk for cereal to save calories. I may give the soy milk a try. I don't like my milk to be watery
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about switching to skim milk for cereal to save calories. I may give the soy milk a try. I don't like my milk to be watery

You probably won't like soy milk then. I find it watery. We drink almond milk around here. The husband swells like a balloon with soy milk. Not tofu or soy ice cream, just the milk.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I just bought unsweetened vanilla almond milk today for a recipe I was making. I tried a sip to see what the big deal was. Eeew. Eeeeew. EEEEEEWWWW! Some things should just be left in their natural state and almonds are one of them. It was, to me, naaaasty. I might try it in my coffee just to try and use it up or just find other recipes to use it in but no way would I ever buy it to drink.

I drink raw milk from a nearby farm. Hands down the best milk I have ever had. We always go around milking time and the last batch I got was from the cows that were currently being milked (it was still warm!). I make homemade yogurt with it and also just tried my hand at cottage cheese which came out really good. Next up: butter and I might try to make regular cheese this winter.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I switched from skim milk to unsweetened almond milk. Half the calories. I don't drink it plain, but I do have it with chocolate syrup or cereal.
  • chyzar
    chyzar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some food for thought regarding almond milk, for anyone who is drinking it for health benefits:

http://www.thekitchn.com/why-i-stopped-drinking-almond-milk-started-drinking-regular-milk-again-197085
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I drink raw milk from a nearby farm. Hands down the best milk I have ever had. We always go around milking time and the last batch I got was from the cows that were currently being milked (it was still warm!). I make homemade yogurt with it and also just tried my hand at cottage cheese which came out really good. Next up: butter and I might try to make regular cheese this winter.

I want to do all this. I may try it next year. I buy from a farm, but don't actually go out there to get it, which you apparently have to do to get it raw.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Something to consider is that almond milk does not have the protein that regular milk does. If you tolerate dairy and are not going vegan for ethical reasons, there may be no real reason to switch.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I drink it plain and bake with it. Tastes good to me and low calorie.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    We use Earth's Own Almond Fresh or Coconut for our lactose intolerant people.
    They're not a protein source like milk and come in sweetened or unsweetened. Unless you need to for lactose problems, don't bother switching. It's more expensive.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I want to do all this. I may try it next year. I buy from a farm, but don't actually go out there to get it, which you apparently have to do to get it raw.

It really is the best milk. There is a store in town that sells raw milk. For $10/gallon! I'm not sure I'd trust the freshness of it either. I get mine for $4/gallon and like I said, we go around milking time so I know it's fresh.
  • itzabellaa
    itzabellaa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I went vegan I tried soy and rice milk first, and didn't really care much for those. I moved on to unsweetened almond milk and I like that best. I don't really drink it straight that often, mostly use it in recipes, with cereal, etc. so I can't say how it compares to cow's milk (been much too long anyway!), but I like it. Some brands I like more than others, so it might take a bit of trial and error. I'm sure if you wind up not liking almond milk, you could find something else, they make so many different things now.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I like the Silk sweetened vanilla almond milk, but I love the dark chocolate almond milk by Silk!