Walking at work

Options
I have just got back on the band wagon here. I used to walk 5 miles a day at home after work (6-7 pm) but with it being so cold outside I dont want to risk getting sick and I hate doing cardio at the gym :sweat_smile: Does anyone walk while they are at work? Lunch time, breaks. does it work for you with your calorie counting?

TIA

Replies

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do. Almost every single day. I walk on my morning and afternoon breaks. Sometimes with a portion of my lunch, or my whole lunch if I feel up to it and it is a nice day. Now that it is winter, I either have to brave the cold, or walk up and down the stairs during my break, both of which, let's be honest, kind of suck to do at work. But I am so used to getting in the extra workout it's hard to see the lower calorie burn on days I don't do it.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I try to. There's a gym nearby here where they have an indoor track, and for about $10/month you can get a "track pass" where you can only use the track (I also have a membership at a gym closer to home). Whenever I can, I go over on my lunch break and walk for about 20 minutes. Better than nothing, and I just consider it a bonus to my day rather than a true "workout." The mall and even somewhere like Target can work for that, too - as long as you can control your shopping impulses!
  • canadiangirl014
    canadiangirl014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get an hour lunch break so I usually eat my lunch at my desk before I leave for my official break. I walk for the full hour. I sit all day and need that walk to clear my head and get the blood flowing. Only thing, I am not a fan of is walking in the summer and getting all sweaty then going back to work. Same stands for the walk itself. I don't get much of a calorie burn from it because I don't want to go back to work sweaty and smelly so I try not to raise my body temp too much which lowers the calorie burn but it's still better than sitting on my butt for another hour out of my day.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you're in a position where your work allows you to go for a few walks I think it's a wonderful idea and you should consider it.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I go for my daily run at my lunch time, We have a nice park right next to the facility I work at, it is paved and usually cleaned off fairly quick after a snow fall. I work maintenance so if I am a little sweaty and stinky later in the day it is not a big deal. I also enjoy the treadmill at the gym I do HIT their it gives me something to challenge myself with. I will also take the stairs occasionally throughout the day just because I can all 6 flights of them.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If I didn't get sweaty I would do it. I get very sweaty very easily and our lots have no shade. Even just going around our complex 3 or 4 times (1 mile) can make me feel uncomfortable. My company does have a walking club with competitions and stuff. Everyone seems to really like it. If I didn't get sweaty I would do it. I know some of my friends that do it say it helps keep them from snacking at work (an extra benefit) because it seems counterproductive. It's also just nice to get up and move around if you're stuck at a desk all day.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    As a receptionist I have to go for a walk at lunch. I change into workout pants and a top and try to get in a 3 mile / 45 min walk. My goal is to walk to or from work at least 3 times a week (it's a little over 3 miles) but the rain, dark and vacation has messed up my schedule. Though I intend to get back at it starting today - even though it is 46 degrees outside. Some days the walking really helps my attitude - I work in a law firm :)
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I aim for about a 30 minute walk on my lunch breaks. I'm also trying to get into the habit of running stairs every time I use the restroom. My office is on the 11th floor, so I'm hoping to keep adding stories until I can run all the way down and all the way up during bathroom breaks.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse in a busy Delivery room, I work 7P-7A. If my 10K daily steps are lacking and I've got time, I do laps around the hall. Twenty of them make a mile. I have a lap counter on my phone so I can keep track. Occasionally, I'll get a coworker to do laps with me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Yep. I get about 15 to 20 mins and on weekends up to 1hr.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I try to do so and it makes a big difference in how I feel. Hope it works for you!
    One thing I've found helpful is leaving a pair of walking shoes at work or in my car (I commute by car 1 hour each way), along with some clean socks, so that makes it easier and more comfortable to go for a walk.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm a university student, and our buildings are attached by underground tunnels. There are many of us who walk the tunnels during the lunch period. It's great to get in our exercise, while staying safe and warm.